Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: One for the BBQ

I had always wondered about that area being with the high numbers of tourists & the like and was put off by it, many moons ago heading out of the Tararuas a women on the track saw me making my way towards her carrying my rifle & spun around and yelled "RUN TERRORIST" and she & her family in tow spun around at high speed and were gone!
    Maca49, paremata and XR500 like this.

Years ago I was hunting off the round the mountain track on the Whakapapa side (before it was a great walk, so 300m was fine) and was sitting watching a face in the scrub with a big flat stone on it near a creek when a couple of trampers wandered into view maybe 250m away, and ended up only 75m or so from where I was. I was about to say (shout or wave or whatever) something when they started disrobing and getting down to nature. In it's most basic and happy form...

Being the polite chap I am I didn't say anything until they were finished, when a gentle whistle and some restrained clapping celebrated their efforts.

They made John Walker look slow departing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    I had always wondered about that area being with the high numbers of tourists & the like and was put off by it, many moons ago heading out of the Tararuas a women on the track saw me making my way towards her carrying my rifle & spun around and yelled "RUN TERRORIST" and she & her family in tow spun around at high speed and were gone!
    did you scream "run vegans" and take off in opposite direction????

bro in law and I coming out of local block incountered some young folk playing in creek,might have been 9-10 there was 4 of them,young lad looks up and says loudly "look he;s got a gun" quick as a wink I reply,pointing "oh look he's wearing shorts"
    the other 3 kids laughed and carried on.....normalisation of what should be normal.
    superdiver and Sika 8 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Very seldom. Mostly they are just interested in what I am doing - and interested to hear that there are deer in the area.

I did stay one night at the Waihohonu hut and an awesome party from Wellington made a hell of a racket all night after giving me a hard time about hunting. I dropped my saucepan several times when I cooked a VERY early breakfast, but I did say sorry. I must have been clumsy due to a bad nights sleep.

That is the only grief I've had in 40 years of hunting on the mountain. In fact, the only time I've ever been given a hard time about hunting. People are usually surprised to see a "normal" person hunting. I'm not sure that the image they are fed via the media is entirely fair.
    Must be trampers from Wellington? We had one incident in the Waipakahi hut with a group who's alpha males muttered things about "bloody hunters" all afternoon after we arrived. Unfortunately for them the MSR multi-fuel ran on diesel for an unusually long time in the kitchen. At least we couldn't hear their mutterings after that.
    XR500 and Sika 8 like this.

People are funny alright - although I don't know that they intend to be as often as they are.
    300CALMAN, Micky Duck and Sika 8 like this.

Beautiful spot!!!
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Years ago I was hunting off the round the mountain track on the Whakapapa side (before it was a great walk, so 300m was fine) and was sitting watching a face in the scrub with a big flat stone on it near a creek when a couple of trampers wandered into view maybe 250m away, and ended up only 75m or so from where I was. I was about to say (shout or wave or whatever) something when they started disrobing and getting down to nature. In it's most basic and happy form...

Being the polite chap I am I didn't say anything until they were finished, when a gentle whistle and some restrained clapping celebrated their efforts.

They made John Walker look slow departing.
    a late evening lengthwise lambada sir -you seem to have had the box seat .score out of 10 for style and performance. per chance.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    I'm surprised they actually left the house .
    Pack out heavy