Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree424Likes

Thread: Public land deer - 53 years ago.

Public land deer - 53 years ago.

These are the first 2 deer that I shot and sold. I was 21 It was in the head waters of the Mangahao in the Tararuas. About 5 hour walk to where I shot them.

The rifle is a Brno .222. I shoulder shot the little one at about 100 yards and neck shot the velvety in his bed at about 15 yards. We saw 23 deer that day. The cheque I received for the 2 sets of HQ with back steaks attached and the velvet was bigger than my one weeks shepherding wage at the time. A while later I chucked shepherding for casual farm work and meat hunting.

The Brno was a neat little gun. It had a 4x Tasco 'scope on it and I used Hertenberger and Sako 50 grn ammo. Eventually sold it for a 308.

Shooting these 2 deer was life changing. I can remember it like it was yesterday. Small things can make big differences.

Name:  00760002 2.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  00760004 2.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  36.2 KB

When I got into selling it a bit more seriously I mainly hunted the Ruahines.
    Still just a young bloke here.

Name:  Picture682.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  00760001.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  22.1 KB

Great times. I stopped selling it when you had to bring the whole deer out and heart lungs and liver. Had my own farm by then and was farming them instead of killing them anyway.
    Last edited by Tahr; 05-01-2023 at 09:03 PM.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Were you using 80gr Targex. LOL . Nice history.
    Tahr likes this.

@Tahr if the Brno trebly you were referring to was the Fox model,I know why you had a soft spot for the mini Mauser with set trigger to touch off a head/neck shot to maximize coin return .Honey of a gat
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

That is a nice little bit of NZ history right there.
    Tahr, stingray, Pengy and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    @Tahr if the Brno trebly you were referring to was the Fox model,I know why you had a soft spot for the mini Mauser with set trigger to touch off a head/neck shot to maximize coin return .Honey of a gat
    it was a Brno 601 with a rosewood forend and a barrel band sling attachment. It had been stolen from a sportshop in Wanganui and recovered so I got it a bit cheaper. It was a honey. It had the the straight push forward set trigger which I didn't like so got the standard set trigger put in. That rifle sure taught me how and where to shoot and Ive sorta done the full circle and come back to the .223 in my dotage.
    Pengy, Micky Duck and Cordite like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    That is a nice little bit of NZ history right there.
    I get a few jibes on here about hunting private land mainly now. I can understand why 'cos its what they hear and see of me - but I really busted my arse on public land for longer than the nay-sayers have probably been alive
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I get a few jibes on here about hunting private land mainly now. I can understand why 'cos its what they hear and see of me - but I really busted my arse on public land for longer than the nay-sayers have probably been alive
    Hunting is done with the heart not a gun or care about what other people think.
    Tahr, Seventenths, Trout and 4 others like this.

yup Tahr the good old days of being able to sell ya deer - we used to hunt the Ruakituri and on way home the Tiniroto Pub was also a Bergs game chiller - the cunning bugger would pay half cash half cheque naturally we had to have a couple of beers -well sometimes that meant staying - the cunning sod would even offer to cash cheque once we had used up the cash we had - ahh the good old days

Before my time, but what an age to be around hunting.

The Brno 223 I have is very sentimental having been passed on from my grandfather and been the first rifle I shot deer with. Every deer I have shot has been accounted for.
    Tahr likes this.

I was born 20yrs too late I reakon..great writeup thanks.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Fuck those members Bruce. You're an inspiration to many here.
    Tahr, Trout, rugerman and 7 others like this.

Great writeup, and what a head of hair!
    Tahr, Rich007 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    Fuck those members Bruce. You're an inspiration to many here.
    Yup 100% Fuck them!
    Nathan F, Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

These are the first 2 deer that I shot and sold. I was 21 It was in the head waters of the Mangahao in the Tararuas. About 5 hour walk to where I shot them.

The rifle is a Brno .222. I shoulder shot the little one at about 100 yards and neck shot the velvety in his bed at about 15 yards. We saw 23 deer that day. The cheque I received for the 2 sets of HQ with back steaks attached and the velvet was bigger than my one weeks shepherding wage at the time. A while later I chucked shepherding for casual farm work and meat hunting.

The Brno was a neat little gun. It had a 4x Tasco 'scope on it and I used Hertenberger and Sako 50 grn ammo. Eventually sold it for a 308.

Shooting these 2 deer was life changing. I can remember it like it was yesterday. Small things can make big differences.

Attachment 213733

Attachment 213734

When I got into selling it a bit more seriously I mainly hunted the Ruahines.
    Still just a young bloke here.

Attachment 213735

Attachment 213736

Great times. I stopped selling it when you had to bring the whole deer out and heart lungs and liver. Had my own farm by then and was farming them instead of killing them anyway.
    How many trips did you make to get the meat out? Just the one? How much did the load weigh?
    What was the hardest carry that you remember?
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    How many trips did you make to get the meat out? Just the one? How much did the load weigh?
    What was the hardest carry that you remember?
    Those 2 I remember my pack was something around 90lb and the walk was 5 hours, but broken by a night at a biv.
    The hardest carry was a a deer out of the Pouranaki onto the Rangi tops and to the car via the Rangi hut. Bringing deer up out of the Orua onto the Maungahuia tops was always a grind.
    I was only doing what dozens of other guys were doing.
    Gibo, Shearer, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.
    - Rumi