Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: Running Out of Time

That's a go on I dare you type of colour when it comes to mushrooms which it isnt

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    That's a go on I dare you type of colour when it comes to mushrooms which it isnt
    It is an Amanita Muscaria fungi. You see them quite often in Hawkes Bay. They are poisonous and hallucinogenic (no I have not tied them and are not going to either). Also called Fly Agaric they were used to make fly paper in the early days. I think the Vikings were keen on them.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Nice timing,I was wondering earlier this week how you were going. My plan to get into the hunting has been falling into place, my aim was to try and get out for a hunt or unarmed reccy once a week. Since 22nd January I’ve had 15 days in the bush, nearly all day trips. The fitness has improved significantly, which also makes things more enjoyable. I’ve come to the end of my planned trips, and this weekend looks fairly wet, but Monday may be okay...

Well done grandpamac.
    On my own fitness crusade at the moment too.
    Puffin, Danny and ROKTOY like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Greetings Marty Henry, Cigar, Vietnamcam and All,
    Thanks for your replies and likes. I have found it a great help to write down both my goals and objectives plus a daily log of progress. This may sound like overkill to the just do it brigade but it works for me. The Kuri Hill walks are weather dependent so the pool and the farm walks get fitted in around them. Two challenges coming up are winter and early spring when my arthritis is at it's worst. A goal of an overnight trip to Macintosh hut in November should help to get past those. Being able to pick and choose days for the outdoor walks helps as well.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Danny likes this.

Well done grandpamac. I've been trying to do 3-4 pool walks and an afternoon goat hunting a week, but have been slack the last 3 weeks as I've had a ton of work come in. And being freelance (writer and photographer) you can't turn down work! The 10th to 14th of each month are my deadline times, so after the 14th will hopefully be able to get out for a bit of hunting. Haven't been out for a month!
    Ned and grandpamac like this.

Pitty the tracks aren’t good enough for an E bike. Owning an E bike has allowed me back into places I haven’t seen for years, some at 30ks per hour! People give me shit for buying one, but they get old people back out and about! Good for both body and mind with the concentration staying upright!!
    Scouser, erniec, Danny and 5 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Pitty the tracks aren’t good enough for an E bike. Owning an E bike has allowed me back into places I haven’t seen for years, some at 30ks per hour! People give me shit for buying one, but they get old people back out and about! Good for both body and mind with the concentration staying upright!!
    Greetings Maca49,
    Have heard a lot of people saying that an E bike has transformed their lives and can certainly see how. The people giving you shit are just jealous, ignore them, just as I ignore any one telling me my fixed power scopes are outdated.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Well done grandpamac. I've been trying to do 3-4 pool walks and an afternoon goat hunting a week, but have been slack the last 3 weeks as I've had a ton of work come in. And being freelance (writer and photographer) you can't turn down work! The 10th to 14th of each month are my deadline times, so after the 14th will hopefully be able to get out for a bit of hunting. Haven't been out for a month!
    Greetings Bumblefoot,
    My wander next week with a rifle will be the first time I've taken one in about 6 months. I'm still sorting out one of my many packs that will hold the Bergara without being too big. I quit all paid work about 3 years ago so there is only the weather to work around so no more excuses.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Greetings All,
    It has been a while since my last post on this thread so I thought I should do an update. The bush walks petered out in May due to the colder weather and competition from a very large pile of logs. Older people, including me, tend to feel the cold rather more than when we were younger or at least that is my excuse. I have kept the pool work up together with stretching plus heaps of cutting, splitting and stacking. I can only manage about 3 hours on the firewood in a day and not every day either. Plenty of grandpa breaks are needed as well due to the arthritis.
    Winter, such as it was this year, is fading and thoughts have returned to bush walks and hunting. We can have some very pleasant weather in Hawkes Bay late in August and in September so now is the time. I'm planning an easy overnight trip in late spring. The first for quite some time. I have managed to lose about 6kg since March and currently am about the lightest I have been in the last 30 years so perhaps the tracks have flattened out a bit since Autumn. We should see over the next week or so. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Forgot to include this.

Name:  20210807_132602.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  5.56 MB

GPM

@grandpamac Great effort & congrats on the weight loss ,l find cutting wood is great exercise & really rewarding .Nothing to worry about taking a break ,it is a smart move ,l called a early day here at lunch as we have a icy, lazy wind,coming in off the snow, that wants to blow through you not go around,so catching up on paperwork & cut kindling for the missus as l have just got back from a few hunting trips & they always seem to use kindling at 4X the the rate l need it .

Look forward to hearing about you getting back in the bush.
    grandpamac likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Keep at it gpm.
    This winter we've found a lot of the firewood isn't hot enough only manuka makes the grade.
    Must be old age.
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Keep at it gpm.
    This winter we've found a lot of the firewood isn't hot enough only manuka makes the grade.
    Must be old age.
    This years firewood includes a lot of acacia, probably silver wattle. This is average but the gum is better. Next year (and for several years thereafter) there is a lot of gum plus a little pine which should be good.
    GPM
    Micky Duck likes this.

@grandpamac Good stuff!!! I've been trying to lose weight; have 15kg (20kg in an ideal world) to lose. Jumped on the scales at the GPs on Monday and have lost 5kg since April. A combination of chainsawing trees and fencing, cutting sugar, most carbs and snacks (sorta Keto). I deliberately haven't been getting on the scales because I know that if I go up 500gr I'll say "eff it" and have a binge week. Even though it was probably just more fluid on board

Went hunting a couple of weeks back and the steep Parapara hills seemed less steep and not as high. Clothes were baggier but I daren't hope in case it was me wishing for it. It wasn't until I saw a pic of me with a deer on my back in Feb and the same from the last hunt that I got a shock at the weight loss. The GP visit was validation.....

Still 116kg (I'm 58) but my ext aim is to go below 110. 95 is the ultimate goal, but time will tell. I was once (about 15years ago) 135.6kg.... I'm a comfort eater; was in a shit relationship. When I finally left I lost 20-kg over about 2 years! Last year I put weight on after breaking my ankle. But onwards and upwards now! Or should I say "downwards)?