Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: Running Out of Time

Good to hear you are keeping at it.
    Animals add to the enjoyment.

Greetings All,
    It has been several months since my last post on this thread so I thought I should do an update. Progress on fitness continued through the balance of 2021 but crashed and burned somewhat early this year. I have been able to keep the pool work up a couple of times a week but the trips up Kuri Hill have been less frequent. Still the spirit is still willing even if the body can't keep up. I am not writing this for offers of tea and sympathy but to encourage others whose mobility has taken a hit to push through it as I have been trying to do. My problem is pain and stiffness in the back and legs especially in the morning due to my long standing arthritis. After a couple of months of procrastination a virtual visit to my Doctor has me back on anti inflammatory medication plus some stronger pain killers than the Paracetamol I was taking. These are starting to take effect so hopefully these together with some more walking around our small block, the pool, stretching and strength exercises will see me back up Kuri Hill before my 73rd birthday now less than three weeks away. That is if the bloody rain stops.
    Will keep in touch Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    It has been several months since my last post on this thread so I thought I should do an update. Progress on fitness continued through the balance of 2021 but crashed and burned somewhat early this year. I have been able to keep the pool work up a couple of times a week but the trips up Kuri Hill have been less frequent. Still the spirit is still willing even if the body can't keep up. I am not writing this for offers of tea and sympathy but to encourage others whose mobility has taken a hit to push through it as I have been trying to do. My problem is pain and stiffness in the back and legs especially in the morning due to my long standing arthritis. After a couple of months of procrastination a virtual visit to my Doctor has me back on anti inflammatory medication plus some stronger pain killers than the Paracetamol I was taking. These are starting to take effect so hopefully these together with some more walking around our small block, the pool, stretching and strength exercises will see me back up Kuri Hill before my 73rd birthday now less than three weeks away. That is if the bloody rain stops.
    Will keep in touch Grandpamac.
    Have you looked into THC/CBD based pain relief?

Has changed some peoples lives!
    Padox and grandpamac like this.

Good going Grandpa Mac. It difficult to loose weight when older, and easier to put it on. I find I loose fitness quicker if no activity than used to 20 years ago. so feels like have to lots more just to keep going. celebrated 74th year in the Tararuas, and just got back from a fairly easy trip in the Lake Sumner-west coast area (fly in/out).Used to walk in/out on those trips, but the wear on my knees isnt worth it now. Knees hate downhill, or boulder hopping now. Used to enjoy it once. Use 2 walking poles, one if carry gun. But downhill speed is pitiful. Doctor tells me wont have my own knees when 80. will be happy to live that long! Prefer going up now! its takes a bit to get used knowing body cant do anything like could not that many years ago,, once used to feel bullet proof. . But being retired, I just take 2 days to go where I am going, instead of the usual one day previously. so many mates started hunting with cant go far into the hills now, if at all , and have worse knee, back issues, so feel privileged to be able to get away into the middle of the ranges still. Cheers GPM
    Tahr, NRT, rugerman and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tararuas hunter View Post
    Good going Grandpa Mac. It difficult to loose weight when older, and easier to put it on. I find I loose fitness quicker if no activity than used to 20 years ago. so feels like have to lots more just to keep going. celebrated 74th year in the Tararuas, and just got back from a fairly easy trip in the Lake Sumner-west coast area (fly in/out).Used to walk in/out on those trips, but the wear on my knees isnt worth it now. Knees hate downhill, or boulder hopping now. Used to enjoy it once. Use 2 walking poles, one if carry gun. But downhill speed is pitiful. Doctor tells me wont have my own knees when 80. will be happy to live that long! Prefer going up now! its takes a bit to get used knowing body cant do anything like could not that many years ago,, once used to feel bullet proof. . But being retired, I just take 2 days to go where I am going, instead of the usual one day previously. so many mates started hunting with cant go far into the hills now, if at all , and have worse knee, back issues, so feel privileged to be able to get away into the middle of the ranges still. Cheers GPM
    Thanks for your post @Tararuas hunter,
    It's always good to hear from someone fighting the same fight. My knee and hip joints are still in reasonable nick due to working as a draughtsman, project manager and planner before retirement. My main problem is referred pain from joint in my lower spine. When it is good it is very good but when it is bad it is horrid.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

You old fellas are an inspiration to us younger types, who still have trouble dragging our hairy arses up and down the hills even though we are decades younger than you guys. I can only hope to get my fitness up to a decent level by the end of the year.

If and when I end up in the poos somewhere in the scrub I hear those same words I did sixty plus yrs ago....what the f*** am I doin here..it's called don't ever give up until your flat on yi back lol. Ol age is a prick full stop and yi can't do bugger all about it. Live on the couch yi soon sprout,after yi sprout it's hard ti get about, get too fat,bugger yi back bla,bla,bla no walkies,yi use the car...yeah when that sets in yi pretty well fu***d. Some of us older types are still capable,lucky enough ti grab the banger and off for a looksy. Many others in our age group aren't so fortunate find it very difficult and struggle...everyone is heading down that same track,some quicker than others.
    With health..........no one knows whats round the corner...that's life,young or old.

Greetings All,
    A like from @davetapson to my OP reminded me that I have not done an update on progress for a while. In my last post I reported some reversals in the fitness quest but over few last months things have improved and in mid May did get up for a poke around in the scrub, found some sign and a fresh scrape (I actually took a rifle) so came back satisfied. We have had a few nice days recently and thoughts have turned to some day trips over comming months working into spring. I didn't achieve some of my targets for last season but am about 4kg down on this time last year and am still hopeful to make the 60th aniversary trip to Makino in late March. Still at the pool once or twice a week plus stretching and the work around our block but its the bush walks that are the key. Will report back soon.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    AMac, Woody, Mooseman and 3 others like this.

For some reason today is the first time I've seen this thread. This is full of great wisdom and advice from the more experienced members here.
    At 45 I'm at the stage where I need to take more opportunities to get out in the hills. At 6 foot and 80kg I've never had a problem with weight or fitness but reading though all these pages is a good reminder to maintain what we have before we loose it.
    Thanks @grandpamac and others for your input.

P.S. If you ever go on a hunt with @Dusty Fog make sure you can walk at about 8km/h. Almost had to jog to keep up with the old fella a few years ago.

I couldn't even roll downhill at 8km/h.....
    Micky Duck, ROKTOY, Cigar and 4 others like this.

well had a twilight hunt turn into an after dark search for wounded deer,which I found and finished off in torchlight,I found it where the guy with modcon thermal couldnt....then out with new knife for quick poohs n wees removal,whacked into three manageable lumps,back wheels in one and front wheel and side meat in the other two.heart into back pack,I had first carry of back wheels,the uphil bit,then swap around,down hill to track,next swap around,one more saw me finish carry with the big load again...couple of points...at 50 I was youngest....a deer is hell of a lot easier to carry with three people than just on my pat malone....
    BBQ lunch today with a quiet bevy while I got back on knife and cut up meat to divy it up amoung all the members of the party.my body is tired but the soul has been refreshed.

life is good

growing old sucks,but the alternative isnt that attractive.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    6kg is a good effort,
    Way to go Gramps.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Greetings Again All,
    The rain has finally relented and the last of the spring snow on the Kawekas has almost gone so time for some belated spring trips. Yesterday, with fine weather promised and delivered, I headed up Kuri Hill to see where I was at on the fitness front. Did about as well as expected but better than feared so more trips are planned in the Kuri Hill, Kaweka Hut site and Mackintosh Hut area including some overnight trips. On the body front at 106 kg I am now down 10 kg from when I started this thread and over 30 kg from my heaviest about 20 or so years ago. The goal is 95 kg or the upper end of the healthy weight range for someone of my height.
    On my way back to the car I passed @Hunter_Nick who was on his way to Kiwi Saddle. It looks great up there today from here. Perhaps later on I may get there again.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Ruger7mm, Shearer, Cyclops and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Again All,
    The rain has finally relented and the last of the spring snow on the Kawekas has almost gone so time for some belated spring trips. Yesterday, with fine weather promised and delivered, I headed up Kuri Hill to see where I was at on the fitness front. Did about as well as expected but better than feared so more trips are planned in the Kuri Hill, Kaweka Hut site and Mackintosh Hut area including some overnight trips. On the body front at 106 kg I am now down 10 kg from when I started this thread and over 30 kg from my heaviest about 20 or so years ago. The goal is 95 kg or the upper end of the healthy weight range for someone of my height.
    On my way back to the car I passed @Hunter_Nick who was on his way to Kiwi Saddle. It looks great up there today from here. Perhaps later on I may get there again.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Good work. You sound like a big lad. Its a constant battle keeping fit and the weight off while being full of aches and pains, eh. Takes some discipline. It seems to have been a long winter too, which makes it all worse.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Do push to hard, loose weight is easy. Get rid of sugar, less carbo foods, more fishes, meats and vegetables and I believe there are plenty of those you can catch, sleep early also important. Good luck
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.