Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: Running Out of Time

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings @Sika 8,
    Thanks for asking. The trip to Makino was a bust due to Cyclone Gabriel. Access to the northern end of the Kaweka's was non existent for the whole of March and still dodgy to this day. I still hope to do the trip during the coming spring and summer. Some serious training will be needed before then. As of this morning there was a fair bit of snow on the Kaweka tops and more expected. Will keep you posted.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    The road has just been opened inc the gate at the ford now Grandpamac, is a nice walk to Makino.
    erniec likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    The road has just been opened inc the gate at the ford now Grandpamac, is a nice walk to Makino.
    Thanks @Sika 8,
    Let the serious training commence for a late spring trip.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Sika 8 likes this.

Shit after reading through this reality is sinking in Im not young anymore but not too old yet either. Time waits for no man.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Shit after reading through this reality is sinking in Im not young anymore but not too old yet either. Time waits for no man.
    Greetings @blip,
    That applies to both of us. I was dong pretty well with my training until the beginning of last year and was considering an overnight trip to Macintosh Hut. Since then due to some illness and the crappiest run of wet weather that I can remember in my 60 plus years of wandering in the Kawekas the cunning plan has crashed and burned. Still it is never too late to start again. Training will include working (a relative term for a 74 year old) on our hilly block plus some hill climbs, some swading in the pool and bush walks from the Lakes road ends so there is still hope. Will keep you posted.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    blip likes this.

Yea for sure once we start getting on a bit its a matter of making the days count not counting the days
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.

I hit 60 in February, and yup; it was a bit of a shock. The overiding thought is/was; where did the time go, and, how much time is left. I used to do a lot of lane swimming; usually 2kms plus 1-2 kms aqua jogging 3-4 times a week. I did it for years, and being such a solo pursuit it is really hard to keep it up. But I did for a couple of decades. Up until covid hit I was aqua jogging 2kms 3-4 times a week.

Over the last few months I've got back into it again. However I've changed it a bit. Now I do 1km (40 lengths) agua jogging 5-6 mornings a week. I've decided it's easy to do those days without rest days because really it's no difference to walking 500m to and from the bus stop etc. And many people would walk a shit ton more than that in their daily grind.

Stratord now has a new pool complex and one pool is a 33C 25m therapy pool. I've found the warmth actually helping motivation because you haven't got that cold dive followed by 4 or 5 lengths of jogging to warm up. I've been doing it consistantly over the last 3-ish months and man it's made a difference! It originally took me 32-33 mins to do the 40 lengths. Now; 23mins. Also; where I go to hunt goats there is a steepish 10min climb to the clearing. I once had to stop6 times before I got to the top. Now straight up; no dramas!

So I really rate aqua jogging for the hills. You have the buoyancy to help your joints, and the resistance which is meant to be about 2.5x that of being on the land. With the therapy pool the warmth is actually good for the joints and muscles etc. I'm not weighing myself, because I get OCD about it and weigh each day and get demoralised... The clothes are getting baggier and the other day I actually fist pumped the air because my gruts started falling down as I was using the chainsaw...

I am being carefull eating nd am eating keto or low carb; and try to do the intermittant fasting. So skip beaky and only eat between around 11 and 6. Being a Type 2 diabetic, the entire regime is helping my overall health.
    57jl, Micky Duck, inozz and 6 others like this.

57JL
    Thanks, BUMBLEFOOT for the inspiration to get up and go back to the pool it is a low-impact way to help mend your body and has been my savior more than once in repairing my R/knee when the surgeons have told me you need to have a knee replacement, at 50 years old I thought will need a new one at 60 because they wear out and only last 10 years if you are too active. modern technology has improved that they last a lot longer now unless you do what I did and break the femur just above my 2-year-old titanium knee that I got when I was 64. life has been a couch since then but am slowly healing thanks to her indoors poking me with the electric cow prodder if I don't stay put and behave myself. So I need to go buy some new water wings and get back to the pool just waiting for the battery to run out in the cow prodder so I can escape.
    bumblefoot, inozz and XR500 like this.