Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: A series of poor decisions.

character building - you will learn from that

Been there on the past when much younger. Had to change my pants after. Real truth, where you go up you can't always go back down. So you better have an exit at the top. Thanks for sharing. Good reminder.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Scary stuff all right iv being in that situation a few times I'm always very conscious of coming down whilst climbing so much easier to get up than down in the steep stuff

MSL
    I find the opposite, it’s very easy to come down, just way more painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tetawa, Gibo, 7mm Rem Mag and 3 others like this.

I shot a hind, walked through a block of trees on dusk and over to the animal.
    I cut it up, put it in my pack and started off in the dark.

I thought I was going back the way I came and ended up clinging to the side of a very steep rock face thinking I could fall and get seriously hurt.

I managed to make it to the top and get out safely but only just
    Went back out and walked over to the spot I climbed out a week earlier but this time in day light only to find if I had of been 30 meters to the right I could have just walked out no problem with only a slight incline.

Shows how you can easily get disorientated in the dark.
    Scouser and bumblefoot like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    I saw this thread and thought it was about the Labour Govt..
    Or the voting population...
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Thanks for sharing - something to be learnt by anybody from that story . . .
    And thanks for the honesty.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Gone but not forgotten
    That brings back memories (and sick feelings!) of a similar experience I had - also on a slip in the Ruahines. I shot a deer from the top, climbed down and gutted it, then as it got dark I climbed back up to my campsite. I ended up in a spot way steeper than where I went down, with some very flimsy plants as handholds.

I had another stomach-churning experience in Pureora. I heard a goat above the river while a mate was fishing, so I climbed up to check it out. I was sidling along and came to a rock chute, very smooth and slippery. Partway across there was a patch of soil about 2m round with a punga growing on it, so I figured I would jump to this, then jump to the other side. As I landed by the punga, the whole lot started sliding down towards the bluff and I had to make a mad leap for the far side. I had thought the soil was a gap in the rock, but it was a clump sitting on top.

Anyone noticed that in this situations it's the nasty spiky plants that have the best root systems to hold onto....
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    That brings back memories (and sick feelings!) of a similar experience I had - also on a slip in the Ruahines. I shot a deer from the top, climbed down and gutted it, then as it got dark I climbed back up to my campsite. I ended up in a spot way steeper than where I went down, with some very flimsy plants as handholds.

I had another stomach-churning experience in Pureora. I heard a goat above the river while a mate was fishing, so I climbed up to check it out. I was sidling along and came to a rock chute, very smooth and slippery. Partway across there was a patch of soil about 2m round with a punga growing on it, so I figured I would jump to this, then jump to the other side. As I landed by the punga, the whole lot started sliding down towards the bluff and I had to make a mad leap for the far side. I had thought the soil was a gap in the rock, but it was a clump sitting on top.
    Oh bugger that last one!
    Kimber 7mm-08 likes this.

Good lessons alright , we never know what's around the next corner.
    tetawa likes this.

Bro it can be scary when you end up in those situations ay, I've got a few stories involving waterfalls, slips, bluffs and gorges.. Always a tense few moments until you get out of it in one piece.
    hebe and Liam258 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick.m View Post
    Bro it can be scary when you end up in those situations ay, I've got a few stories involving waterfalls, slips, bluffs and gorges.. Always a tense few moments until you get out of it in one piece.
    I’ve had similar experiences too! Spent 30 minutes climbing up a waterfall before I got to a section I couldn’t climb. Spent nearly 3 hours trying to get down the slippery rock faces. Was not a fun experience. But as others have said, it’s character building and you learn a lot from these experiences! I always have a plb in my Bino bag no matter the length of the journey!

I Have found my inreach handy on several occasions when I haven’t been able to get out of the bush or mountains on my planned date due to weather and swollen rivers. Very handy to let someone know that you’re safe and due back home a couple days later than expected.