Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: She,s a real hotty.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I worked in a butchery in Perth back in the 90's. The hottest it got to that summer was 41C. You got used to it. What I didn't get used to was going from working in butchery cold a/c all day straight out into 41C, it was like walking into a brick wall! But I did find 36C in Tonga in Jan/Feb way worse than 41 in Perth; you could have cut the humidity with a knife in Tonga!
    It's actually not real good for your respiratory system charging straight from a dry air conditioned environment into hot humid air. At in law's place in Uruguay (often 35-40c in summer, and 90% humidity) they have to have a steam generator running inside the house when they have the AC going in summer or you end up getting crook. The two years I was over there we didn't have AC in our house on the farm and it was bloody miserable during summer! Mrs went and stayed with her parents for four months of the year purely because the heat and humidity sucked so bad! We had ceiling fans and a big stand up fan in our home but they just pushed the warm wet air around. I didn't care that there was Caimans in our irrigation lake on farm would spend the worst evenings jumping in and out of the lake to try and keep cool.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Worked at Kinleith on the paper machines.
    Constantly hot over the summer.
    Very pleasant over the winter.
    Used to have to sort out paper breaks, rope replacement and the like in the dryers.
    Soles used to melt on boots etc.
    Couldn't wear watches as they got too hot.
    Used to drink all day without taking a leak.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Did a few years in the freezers at a meat works, passengers frowned at my having heater on full bore when driving home in summer.

Even in Vic we had stinkers. Mind you in Vic it could be roasting hot for several days then raining there after. Temperature would plunge 15 or so degrees. Blessed relief.
    As soon as the wind shifted to the North we knew it was going to be unpleasant.
    The worst aspect was trying to sleep. Still 30 degrees at midnight was not coducive.
    One of my shifts started at 11 pm. Many was the time I was still in our backyard pool at 10:30.
    And working was very unpleasant with all machinery running at or over max temp. I worked in a steel mill so a hot unpleasant place to start with.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Unusual summer here in south east SA. Its only been around 22 rhe last couple of days. We have had xmas and boxing days up at 44with a hot bastard wind

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@Ryan_Songhurst When I got out of my apprenticeship I worked in a butchery that had a huge concrete wall behind it that held the heat and reflected the heat into the butchery. Was bloody sweltering! Conversely; most of the shop back wall was made up of louvre windows. During frosty mornings the place was ice cold (cold coming through all that glass) and the big concrete wall was shaded til the late afternoon. That butchery was so cold in frosty weather that when you opened the chiller door you felt the warm air hit you from inside it! And the shop never warmed up a bit til about 3pm.....
    Moa Hunter likes this.

@Ryan_Songhurst you want to try Ecuador the humidity was so close to %100 you would hardly notice the rain.

At least in Melbourne it would get to 40+ but it was dry and the sweat dried off.

I did do some work in Fiji once (terrible posting) at the cement works, the only problem apart from the crippling humidity was the cement dust sticking to me and my overalls which started to go solid.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

MB
    At least it's not going to piss it down during a "summer" camping trip in Perth. Agree with the comments about humidity. It makes Northland feel hot sometimes when in reality, it barely scrapes 30 degrees.

Amateurs !
    Telfer WA, 9th December 2018.

Name:  IMG_4403.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  1.20 MB
    nor-west, zimmer and bumblefoot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Amateurs !
    Telfer WA, 9th December 2018.

Attachment 186622
    Have a photo somewhere of 53c on xmas day in South Hedland.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    At least in Melbourne it would get to 40+ but it was dry and the sweat dried off.
    Yeah lots of things that were taken for granted but you don't see here, or are quite rare.
    Aunger rear louvers on cars. (They're reasonable effective, not just bling.)
    Front windscreen covers (Aunger or the like), plus beach towel over the dash and steering wheel. Learnt that one pretty quickly when knocking off at 3 in the arvo and I couldn't hold the steering wheel. Once I'd managed to lower my arse onto the seat that is.
    Local shopping centre had one lonely tree in the middle of the car park. You get there early to hopefully get a park under it.
    Top of back seat of my 4 year old Holden totally buggered by the sun. Previous owner never protected obviously. The local upholstery shop did a roaring trade in replacing back seat tops. In part also due to piss poor Holden fabric quality.
    First hot weather we did the Kiwi thing, opened all windows and doors (all had fly screens). Wrong wrong. Soon learnt to ensure all windows shut and drapes in place from early in the morning. With doors we used rolled up towels stuffed along the gap at bottom.

Our house, (like my car), didn't have aircon but was built in the Aussie standard of bricks and high pitch tile roof.
    All rooms had vents high up the walls jus gelow the ceiling. First sighting of a Huntsman spider was when it emerged out of the lounge room grill. My wife freaked out despite them being harmless. Caught it on the end of a broom. It legs encircled both sides of the broom.

I won't start on snake stories and the number I killed and the stupidy I displayed whilst killing them.
    Plenty of other Kiwis ex Oz or currently living there will have good stories I'm sure.
    Last edited by zimmer; 27-12-2021 at 03:58 PM.
    nor-west, 300CALMAN and Micky Duck like this.

Did train 1 & 2 on the Burrup in the 8o's, try lugging Scaffolding around in summer , tube & clip in those days , no harness or hi vis , singlet & volleys..the good old days ..

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    at least this isnt a thread about the prime minister ...
    ...until you came along.
    nor-west likes this.

I know this isn't anywhere near what you guys are sweltering in but this was on one of our cameras we checked today.
    Name:  Hot day.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  1.92 MB
    Damb branch sat there for a couple of days setting the camera off but we did get some nice dear shots 😉
    At home that same day (24th Dec) it was 35deg and the poor staff were extracting honey in the honey shed at nearly 40 deg. I've worked in there at 38 and by the end of the day you know you've done a day's work. When I milked cows in a past life I used to put an ice pack in my overalls to keep cool but it's the humidity that kills you.
    bunji and Mooseman like this.

@Mrs Beeman....if you havent got a water shortage (or can collect it for reuse) and shed has tin roof....put a cheap as chips garden sprinkler up in centre of roof and turn it on while working inside...the difference is huge...it works like the wet canvas water bottle,as water evaporates it takes the heat away.just cooling the tin itself makes huge difference,we did it on cowshed roof and used to have to push cows out from under the eaves back into heat.