Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Extra Baggage

Extra Baggage

We are flying off for Christmas on Wednesday, and a couple of days ago my wife says "Ive booked an extra 38kg of baggage so that we can take a suitcase of venison for the relations".
    Just like that. Like it drops out of the sky or something.

So yesterday Brian and I headed off for an overnighter to try to fill the order.

After a 2.5 hour drive we were met with really strong NW wind so we had to plan around that. At 5.30pm the first area drew a blank and things were not looking that bright so we split up to double our chances. I had to do a big loop of about 40 minutes to get the wind right for where I wanted to hunt and Brian followed a ridge down towards a likely spot he favours.

Around about 7pm I saw my first deer feeding on a bushy face about 350 yards away. A red spiker. I snuck to 280 yards for a shot but it had disappeared - so I cut around a creek and and got a lot closer, coming out on a little ridge opposite where it had been. I carefully glassed the face and there it was laying down facing me at 75 yards. Its wasn't difficult to neck shoot it at that range with the 7-08 and at the shot it didn't move a muscle. Stone dead.

Name:  IMG_5873.jpeg
Views: 789
Size:  2.72 MB

I cut around to it to find that it was in great condition with a beautiful red coat.

Name:  IMG_5879.jpeg
Views: 749
Size:  6.13 MB

Name:  IMG_5882.jpeg
Views: 723
Size:  5.50 MB

So I set about butchering it and loading it all into my pack. Boned out HQ, shoulders on the bone, back steaks and inside steaks.

Name:  IMG_5884.jpeg
Views: 705
Size:  5.78 MB

Name:  IMG_5888.jpeg
Views: 724
Size:  6.51 MB

It took about 40 minutes to lug my pack to a knob where I could retrieve it later and with 1.5 hours light left I headed off to try my luck again (without my pack and just with my day belt around my waist).

I got myself around to a nice lookout and after about an hour I spied 3 Fallow down the ridge I was on. They were about 400 yards away. I slipped down through the scrub to 300 yards and through the binos I could see they were all spikers. I was on an excellent little spot to shoot from but had to wait a while because they were coming in and out of view through the scrub. Eventually I could line up on a black one so he copped it through the neck. Bang-flop.

I lay there set up in case the others' came into view and after a couple a minutes 2 slightly alarmed Fallow spikers popped onto a clearing on a ridge above their dead best friend. Sooo...I line up on the bigger one and let rip. And they bolted but the one I shot at did act a bit stiffly as they disappeared. Strange, I thought, because it was meant to be a neck shot too.

I got down there and soon found the first one, and then cut up to see if I had hit the 2nd one. Tilly was confused and led me off on what I think was a live scent. So I went back to where it had been and cast around. Blood! I followed it parallel along the face for 80 yards and then it stopped and I could see where it had pitched down the hill on its last death rush. It turned out it was a neck shot but it hadn't broken the spine so it had run until it bleed out.

Name:  IMG_5890.jpeg
Views: 721
Size:  5.80 MB

So I took the 2 HQ and good bits and lugged them back up to the ridge. And then pin-boned the first one and carried that lot to the ridge. I had 4 HQ and 4 back steaks to carry back - without a pack.

Name:  IMG_5893.jpeg
Views: 707
Size:  5.70 MB

Name:  IMG_5895.jpeg
Views: 687
Size:  5.07 MB

I carried the whole lot up the ridge for about 40 minutes, and then thought "bugger this" and relayed the load for the last 30 minutes back to where my pack was. It was now about 10pm. Thank God for quads. I walked the 40 mins back to where I had left the quad and soon had the load all tied on.

In the mean time I had had been talking to Brian on the hand held radio and he had shot a young velvet red. So I picked Brian up and we headed fully loaded with te dog on top back to the truck.

We decided not to stay the night - preferring to get home to get the meat chilled.

I dropped Brian off at 1.30am and crawled into my own bed at 3am.
    Ive only had 4 hours sleep so an afternoon nap is starting to sound good.

Then we have got all this meat to process and distribute to relations and the charity soup kitchen. I will need to think of a story for the relations about how the deer never had any back or inside steaks though - they are for us.
    Last edited by Tahr; 20-12-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Ned
    I've also heard that when there are really strong winds that those particular cuts of meat can sometimes disappear...

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Tahr likes this.

38kg extra baggage! Great yarn and enjoy the hard-earned Venison.
    Tahr and Chur Bay like this.

Great work. Glad to see the Tillster is still trucking along. Sounds like she's even picking up some new live tracking skills. Old dogs and new tricks and all
    Tahr likes this.

I too have neck shot a deer and not hit bone, mine didn't run but it stood there looking drunk head down stumbling round till I put another round in the boiler room. Only deer in recent times I've had to put a second round in.
    No doubt the neck shot would've been fatal in my case as it was with yours I just didn't want it dissappearing into thick scrub hence I put a secondary round into it which anchored it on the spot.....well kind of after it proceeded to roll down hill another 100m
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    I've also heard that when there are really strong winds that those particular cuts of meat can sometimes disappear...

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Usually i have found them missing and dog grinning!!
    Tahr, rugerman, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Great work. Glad to see the Tillster is still trucking along. Sounds like she's even picking up some new live tracking skills. Old dogs and new tricks and all
    She has always been a bit of a bugger at that. If there have been a few deer around she will often track a live one and I have to pull her back. With this one I followed her for quite a distance before I realised, and then when I took her back to where we had begun she was a bit confused and I did a better job at tracking the blood than she did. They can be complex gadgets, dogs.

@Tahr I hope you and Brian thanked your wife for forcing you both to have to go hunting
    Tahr, Trout, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I too have neck shot a deer and not hit bone, mine didn't run but it stood there looking drunk head down stumbling round till I put another round in the boiler room. Only deer in recent times I've had to put a second round in.
    No doubt the neck shot would've been fatal in my case as it was with yours I just didn't want it dissappearing into thick scrub hence I put a secondary round into it which anchored it on the spot.....well kind of after it proceeded to roll down hill another 100m
    @dannyb Yes, you have to get them spot on. Who would have thought it would have got 80 yards. Just got the angle slightly wrong. 140 SST. A bit of a risky shot at 300 yards. I don't recommend it.

Name:  IMG_5892.jpeg
Views: 599
Size:  6.22 MB
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Great story as always
    Tahr likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Your going to face some stiff questions if the 38 kg suitcase drips red stuff
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Your going to face some stiff questions if the 38 kg suitcase drips red stuff
    Well cooled meat and suitcases lined with black rubbish bags - and meat inside bags. We ave 2 suitcases, and half of one is for our stuff. The rest for meat.
    Trout, ebf and Micky Duck like this.

In the past I've gone to the supermarket and got one of those through away white chilly boxes when I've taken cray fish down south keeps it nice and cold just tape up the lid joint

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Tahr and Moa Hunter like this.

great write up as always....good on Tilly for sticking with you,she is allowed an off day every now and then....she realised you had shot three and was probably trying to shot you number 4 LOL.....

You didn't expect to get that many did you, you sure had your work cut out, but hay you filled the order. I hope you enjoyed your nap you earned it,well done.