Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Some Tararuas pics

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Thanks for sharing TH

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Haven't been to Cow creek since about 1967. Hunted in from Kaituna quite a bit in younger days, lived in Masterton till the mid 80s
    That's about time when I was working in there, @Maca49 up until 1968. Bush was lot more open then, for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Tararuas hunter View Post
    That's about time when I was working in there, @Maca49 up until 1968. Bush was lot more open then, for hunting
    I went in with some NZDA members and a group of students from Wairarapa College, must have been in form four.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I've ever set foot in the area, but loved the pic's- you have a good eye with the camera.
    Cheers to you and all those who are helping maintain/restore some of our neglected huts

ebf
    awesome pics, thanks for posting
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Awesome TH, Tarn ridge is on my list this summer

Awesome TH , great to see you here. I’ve missed your reports since migrating here from Fishnhunt
    More meplat, more better.

Great pics there TH. I ve been to a few of those spots, but not in the last few years.

I can almost smell the smoky aroma coming out of those huts. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tararuas hunter View Post
    Would have about 64, went in with about a dozen kids from Wairarapa College, with a couple of guys from the NZDA
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by ghosts View Post
    I can almost smell the smoky aroma coming out of those huts. Thanks for posting.

Low cloud and weeping eyeballs!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Would have about 64, went in with about a dozen kids from Wairarapa College, with a couple of guys from the NZDA
    I did lot of hunting trips in there about then @maca. caught railcar from Hutt valley on Fridays after college walked in dark sometimes.
    Back out sunday. was fav spot

Hi TH...i think you might be the man to ask! I am looking down the barrel of being in the area for work in a week or so and would like to key in taking the gun for a walk. Its pretty far from my usual areas so would love to pick your brain a little. My current thinking would be to trek down Mitre flats track. pass the hut then head NNW up a creek, gain a ridge and head for the open tops (my prefered hunting areas) so i guess a few direct questions would be..... Is the terrain passably steep in that area? would Reds in the area be up in the opens in April? Any suggestions or info for that area would be hugely appreciated

@vewwwyvewwyquiet

You may or may not get a response from TH, but to partly answer your question, the fastest way to the tops from the eastern side is in from Holdsworth, you can go up past Powell or Jumbo, you can also get to Baldy by going past Atiwhakatu.

Another option for getting to the tops reasonably fast is to go up from Cone hut onto Marchant ridge, and then to Alpha.

At any rate, give yourself plenty of time to get from A-B in the Tararua range if you're more used to other forest parks. Getting to the tops from the Waingawa valley will be a fairly epic bush bash going up, it will quickly get tedious on the way down, unless you use the track off Mitre.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Hi @longshot. Thanks for the response and info. That's really useful. not knowing the area....and not knowing reds tbh..... are they liable to be up on top during the rut? Or do they stake out a ridge each in the Bush?