Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Subsonic 308 project

Did some testing of the 150gr .308 casts today. We clocked them at an average of 1140fps and using algebra and and some magic we worked out the coefficient to be approx 0.15

Drop was about 37inches at 188 yards.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    winaa, ebee and Flyblown like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aetchell View Post
    Did some testing of the 150gr .308 casts today. We clocked them at an average of 1140fps and using algebra and and some magic we worked out the coefficient to be approx 0.15

Drop was about 37inches at 188 yards.
    Handy info!
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Handy info!
    I think it needs a bit more tweaking and testing but it should help out anyone else trying to create charts. I personally wouldn't use them beyond 75 - 100yrds though

Quote Originally Posted by Clubbie View Post
    Yep, I hear ya! Reloading can get pretty addictive (and expensive as you tune the load). I agree with the shooting of other stuff with the casts too - I'm not even slightly worried about shooting a goat, or a hare or a rabbit, because it's not a fancy $3 projectile.
    Then again, $3 for a feed is still cheap as chips too
    $3 a shot to put holes in paper while developing a load starts to add up though...

$15 per trial load....... to test....it depends on what you end game expectation is.....if you after a say 200 yard deer rifle you realistically need to achieve betterthan 3"....MOST loads should do that without any real fuss or bother (I cant think of ANY load Ive made over the years other than one that was that bad...and I killed many wallabies with that load...retweaked it for a mate and its MOA in his rifle) you will pay more for petrol to get to your hunting area than you ever will on load testing with a single shot rifle.

fair call.

Though I'd check out the subsonic 308s again on a recent trip. Did some drop tests to set up a new scope with BDC reticle.

What I've found with the reloading is that a final crimp makes a massive difference to accuracy. The uncrimped loads would go ok with perfectly acceptable accuracy, then you'd get one or two fliers that were way off. A bit of checking, and there's a few reloads in the batch where the neck tension is insufficient to hold the cast lead bullet, you can move the bullet with the thumb and forefinger. I experimented a bit with crimp strength and settled on a kind of "medium" crimp that firmly holds the bullet in place.

Name:  20191209_111404.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  332.3 KB

Since then we've been pinging coke cans at 100m, and accuracy on goats has been more than good enough to put the bullet where it counts.

Name:  20191202_121656.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  2.40 MB

Incidentally, on goats I have found that the best way to achieve a bang-flop kill is to wait (if you can) for the animal to be quartering away or towards, so that you get a raking shot across the chest cavity. If they are a smaller animal and broadside, you probably won't get the expansion for a super-quick kill and they'll run until they bleed out. Both of these were shot in the front chest while facing me, and they went down hard on the spot.

Name:  20191127_183603.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  5.80 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Great info thanks,only ever had the balls to use my cast loads on small game..Just got expanding die and crimp die as well so looking forward to trying out the new and improved versions.

Walking my rifle
    @shooternz do you know of many people using your 151 on reds and pigs? I currently load some 160gr Peregrine/Discreet ballistics copper bullets (same concept as the lehigh ones) as subs but be good to use some of your bullets especially under 100 yards but always concerned they wont penetrate enough for a big red or pig. I also currently use your 151's on goats and it works great.

I get great accuracy with the Peregrine/Discreet Ballistic bullets out to about 200 yards and they sure are deadly, but i only have a very limited supply which i only get to restock once a year when i go on holiday so would prefer a local bullet for the majority of shooting.

One thing with the 151's, they dont feed in my magazine, i have to single feed. Is this common or do i just have a shit rifle?

FYI, my drop for the 160gr copper bullets at 1050fps 2mills at 100m and 8 mills at 200m with a 50m zero if that of any use to anyone. the Mill reticle in the ATN sure is handy for this, as the internal ballistic calculator is junk, so i work it out on Applied Ballistics and then just holdover.
    winaa likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

The 151g cast don’t feed well in my A7 either I just single load.the 170g pointed non hollow point version do but don’t expand very much at sub speeds.