Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 55,000km 4.5 year oil change

Yeah but how was your L/100km on the drive?

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    55000km for a disco and its still alive that's a bonus in itself
    Those motors seem pretty tough, old man's goes really well, especially after replacing both O2 sensors. That's the problem though, replace one thing on the car and the next goes.
    ABS shuttle valves, plastic connectors for the auto leveling system so shocks always droop, gasket for the cooling block for the throttle butterfly so all your coolant will disappear.

Ooh and the seemingly large hole in the fuel tank that only appears when you're driving it. Pretty sure any loan application requires declaring ownership so they're aware of the huge out going expense.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yeah but how was your L/100km on the drive?
    Not too bad, about 16L/100km, but it had a roof rack which I've since taken off and last tank was under 15L/100km.

The air filter needed replacing also, so I wont be surprised if the the economy improves again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Those motors seem pretty tough, old man's goes really well, especially after replacing both O2 sensors. That's the problem though, replace one thing on the car and the next goes.
    ABS shuttle valves, plastic connectors for the auto leveling system so shocks always droop, gasket for the cooling block for the throttle butterfly so all your coolant will disappear.

Ooh and the seemingly large hole in the fuel tank that only appears when you're driving it. Pretty sure any loan application requires declaring ownership so they're aware of the huge out going expense.
    There are a few common/well known faults with the Disco 2 (ABS being one of them), but considering that most of them a 15 years old know they hold up pretty well.
    Great thing about Land Rovers is all that it's easy to know what to look out for as there are so many LR nutters and so many forums that it's easy to keep on top of things.
    LRs are usually pretty easy to work on too and easy/cheap to get parts from the UK.

I've got a diesel Disco 1 also and that thing has been great, have used and abused it and it's kept going and going, only thing to have failed thus far in the alternator but that's something that will fail on all vehicles once it gets old enough.
    Nibblet and nevereadyfreddy like this.

Ejected
    My dad loves his disco, its basically just a hack to take the dogs to the beach and tow with though.
    I hate it haha. Everything is so clunky and heavy like closing doors etc, and not the heavy feeling that cries quality.
    You either love or hate them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Beetroot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Not too bad, about 16L/100km, but it had a roof rack which I've since taken off and last tank was under 15L/100km.

The air filter needed replacing also, so I wont be surprised if the the economy improves again.

Not so horrendous

Steer clear of those oil flush additives they are bad news. Have seen two workmates cars die within a week of a flush - two separate occasions. Just change your oil earlier as others have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    My dad loves his disco, its basically just a hack to take the dogs to the beach and tow with though.
    I hate it haha. Everything is so clunky and heavy like closing doors etc, and not the heavy feeling that cries quality.
    You either love or hate them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Which I like, I find driving my Disco 1 everything feels heavy and when you change gear you actual feel things engaging.
    Unlike newer cars I have driven where the gearbox feels like mush and the clutch goes straight to the floor with no feeling at all.

Have a 98 Disco1 diesel. Drives really well and mostly reliable apart from oil leaks. Bit gutless with 33" tyres but ok when she gets wound up.
    In total contrast.
    I also have 99 4.6 P38 on coils. Goes like a rocket ,nice drive and no oil leaks .Great for towing.

Guy I know drains the oil, puts bung back in, puts in same amount of diesel and runs engine for a couple of minutes then drains and replaces with oil.

He asked if I wanted him to help with my ute, I told him to f%$k off.
    veitnamcam and Beetroot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    This is not a stupid concept, old piston engine aircraft (DC3 etc) use to burn enough oil that it was not required to be changed.

This Landy was very good in the way of oil leaks (none that I could see), but I don't think that will be the case for much longer.
    thats because they didnt have an oil sump or return system. all got blown out the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Steer clear of those oil flush additives they are bad news. Have seen two workmates cars die within a week of a flush - two separate occasions. Just change your oil earlier as others have mentioned.
    Yeah thats the plan, have bought new oil and filter today.
    After a few hundred kms will do anyother change.

If you're always topping them up do you have to change the oil?

Had a mate at school who bought a diesel toyota carina which had done over 400,000kms, but the last 100,000kms without an oil change. It wouldn't come out the sump plug hole when we did it. Took several flushes with kero mixed with thin engine oil to get it the sludge moving. Seemed logical at the time He then flogged that car for nearly 3/4 of a million kms and never put a spanner on it
    gadgetman and 223nut like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Mate had an old Corolla that had a container tied to the bottom of the engine mounts, once a week just unclipped it and pour it back in the top