Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Auto vs Manaul utes

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    It just seems a bit too highly geared. 6th gear is no good below 110 if it's not totally flat.
    It's also very easy to hit reverse instead of first at lights too.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Exactly what he said

And auto easier generally

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bugger having to replace a clutch . . . . .

I much prefer my manual 17 Hilux over the auto I drove, but then again I've had manual V8s for years & don't mind actually driving.

I use 6th heaps from around 60-70kph if I'm cruising.

My one is sitting on 9.3 litres per 100 kms for it 44K life so far, not to bad considering the amount of 4wd I do on gravel roads etc hunting in low gears, my average speed will be way down.

Unfortunately my next vehicle will be auto , it has to be they don't make a manual

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    One thing i did notice its smother changing gears if you are in the eco mod, don't know why.
    Driven my mate's auto a while back but might have to take it for another drive. Interesting he has not long brought a brand new auto and they do notice the difference in fuel consumption going from manual to auto.
    Why would you buy a Ute with ECO mode? Last one of those I drove gave me 11litres per 100 on ECO mode???
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Now I always used to be a manual lover and auto hater but last year bought a new auto diesel.....at the time mainly due to injury as I couldnt change gear with my left hand.
    Having now had it a year no fucking way would I buy a six speed manual one, six speed manuals are cool if they are sequential and attached to a twostroke motorcross bike and can be shifted at full throttle no clutch all day every day.
    On the road with the public and traffic they just suck balls.
    Backing anything they suck balls.
    Towing they suck balls.
    Too many fucking gears and reverse is invariably geared for about 90kph.
    Auto on the other hand nowadays learns how you like to drive and if there is a hill or bendy bit of road then there is manual mode....which is generally better than a real manual because you can change faster and seamlessly without upsetting the vehicle balance........ except for clutch dumps cos ya cant do that.
    jakewire, Savage1, crewe2 and 8 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Summed up well cam, got to love tipronic in the corners

Auto easy as

Heaps of stockcar guys pulling max loads around the country side all the time. Auto best all rounder

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

The autos get about 10% worse economy in same model Hiluxes. Changes are rough + offroad in low it runs away (loses engine braking momentarily) down hills between gears if you don't use tiptronic to select 1st only. Eco mode isn't, really. Tiptronic only limits the highest gear it will change to, it doesn't select a gear and lock it in. Feels like driving with a rubber band around the accelerator.

The manual isn't great either, 6th is too high and reverse is in a stupid place.
    Kiwi Greg, Steve123, Cliff and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    My Hilux was too high geared in manual ,couldn't cross a reasonable stream or back water that came up to the side steps in high 4 unless I was down in 1st.
    auto or manual you should be in L4 for that
    Cliff, rewa and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    auto or manual you should be in L4 for that
    While I agree with that statement equally you should not be in 4wd with a locked center on tar-seal or concrete while maneuvering a farking big boat or caravan.....which lets face it is why most have the ute in the first place.
    Steve123 likes this.

Yeah definitely never use 4wd (as opposed AWD) on a high traction surface e.g. tarseal, I assumed gravel base...

That's another advantage to older utes with manual hubs - the ability to select low range in 2wd
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yeah definitely never use 4wd (as opposed AWD) on a high traction surface e.g. tarseal, I assumed gravel base...

That's another advantage to older utes with manual hubs - the ability to select low range in 2wd
    Most of the modern utes dont give that option, VW is AWD? top sec Mitsi is part time/AWD/4wd not sure on the Merc.

If backing,manuvering a boat,caravan,digger on trailer etc or any towing at all in NZ conditions for a diesel ute auto all the way.

Old school vehicles had low ratios and non turbo engines that didnt fry clutches.....new ones dont.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Now I always used to be a manual lover and auto hater but last year bought a new auto diesel.....at the time mainly due to injury as I couldnt change gear with my left hand.
    Having now had it a year no fucking way would I buy a six speed manual one, six speed manuals are cool if they are sequential and attached to a twostroke motorcross bike and can be shifted at full throttle no clutch all day every day.
    On the road with the public and traffic they just suck balls.
    Backing anything they suck balls.
    Towing they suck balls.
    Too many fucking gears and reverse is invariably geared for about 90kph.
    Auto on the other hand nowadays learns how you like to drive and if there is a hill or bendy bit of road then there is manual mode....which is generally better than a real manual because you can change faster and seamlessly without upsetting the vehicle balance........ except for clutch dumps cos ya cant do that.
    You my friend are just getting old!! When I was younger, about your age? My boss would give me a choice on my new car, auto with aircon or manual without air con. He could never understand why I took the manual option, but I had a boat I towed everywhere it took me til my early 60s to buy an auto, why the fcuk would you ever want a manual?? Unless it was a race car and you are young?
    veitnamcam and bigbear like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

My wife/partner wants a car so couple months back we took a corolla 2.0l auto for a drive the auto didn't slow that down maca . It was very nice
    We have been a one car family for about 6 years now and i just cant see a car lasting long on our road where we currently live. Also the general roads around gisborne are third world. So i said instead of getting a car why not upgrade our ute,we are doing about 20000km a year and current ute about to roll over 100 thou
    Ever now and again its a pain in the arse having one vehicle between us if i go hunting for the weekend etc and been rural she's stuck at home or over way round.
    If we get a second the vehicle the millage/maintenance will be about the same cost.(will be doing same km between both vehicles) The extra cost will insurance and extra rego
    Hmm
    Last edited by bigbear; 17-11-2019 at 07:21 AM.

In the late 80s I had a Toyota 2 litre GLXI Amon, awesome car, was doing 70 k a yr all over NZ, both islands. 160 kph was a doddle. Stopping was a different story, it was a manual. Always been a great car!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough