Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: barn find

It doesn't pay to count the cost after a while.
    So you look at what new costs and that can sometimes help.
    Or you average it out over time you own it.
    I've had mine 15 years or so and if use/have for another 20 will be cheap.
    It is coming up for cheap rego in another few years. Pointers is already old enough.
    $45k for that one might have recouped costs.

Here I was hopeing it was a old chev/ford/Chrysler

That's a tidy cruiser erniec

As for that museum spec one on trademe it's not really me. Very well done nonetheless. I think the plan for my one is to pull some rust out of it, make it safe (recon brakes steering etc) and just use it. And when I'm sick of it I'll put it back in a barn somewhere, it's not like it owes me much
    gadgetman and Munsey like this.

Old man paid 5k for this one 17 years ago, it was a one owner minter that had never been off road. 1985 running a 3b diesel. It's run tractor tyres every day since he bought it and gets used almost daily.

He bought it to replace a 1976 model he bought new. And that one is also still running. This one he hoped would last 5-10 years on the farm, but is still going strong. It's been tipped over, bogged numerous times (I got bellied in the photo below, otherwise would've been sweet. Was going in this track here every day to fell trees for 6 weeks) and I've blown a the front diff trying to climb out of sticky situations! Blows a bit of smoke now, but other than that it runs good.

I'd love a mint SWB one.

Pointer, EeeBees, Munsey and 2 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Righto who here knows of any early fj45 lying around? (Not your old man's ones Joshc ) After a few bits

Like Dual fuel tanks and drum of bog ?
    Pointer and JoshC like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

What do you need pointer? Dad had a parts one. He took the gearbox out. But unsure if he still has it or what is left

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Haha the things I'm trying to avoid Munsey! Since it is still all steel I'm going to keep it that way, no fiberglass or bog. The TIG welder will be getting a thrashing. Hence any good nick steel panels would be appreciated. Had wheels blasted and painted, engine had valves adjusted and full service, rebuilt front left drum brake, now onto panel work

Puku here's a wishlist, next time your by your old man's place could you have a look?

The tall fj45 side mirrors
    The old type round indicators the go on the guard
    Any good nick steel panel, prefer a good roof and back wall, even guards if they still exist
    Munsey likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Old man paid 5k for this one 17 years ago, it was a one owner minter that had never been off road. 1985 running a 3b diesel. It's run tractor tyres every day since he bought it and gets used almost daily.

He bought it to replace a 1976 model he bought new. And that one is also still running. This one he hoped would last 5-10 years on the farm, but is still going strong. It's been tipped over, bogged numerous times (I got bellied in the photo below, otherwise would've been sweet. Was going in this track here every day to fell trees for 6 weeks) and I've blown a the front diff trying to climb out of sticky situations! Blows a bit of smoke now, but other than that it runs good.

I'd love a mint SWB one.

Thats quite a rare cruiser as Japanese and US production stopped in 1982/3. Toyota NZ kept assembling them until 1985 and the one I have is also 1985 release which made me the envy of all my cruiser owning US friends.
    Pointer likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Haha the things I'm trying to avoid Munsey! Since it is still all steel I'm going to keep it that way, no fiberglass or bog. The TIG welder will be getting a thrashing. Hence any good nick steel panels would be appreciated. Had wheels blasted and painted, engine had valves adjusted and full service, rebuilt front left drum brake, now onto panel work

Puku here's a wishlist, next time your by your old man's place could you have a look?

Any good nick steel panel, prefer a good roof and back wall, even guards if they still exist
    Front disk breaks off a later model cruiser (hilux may also fit but it was so long ago I can't remember) is the first thing I would do to one of these wagons.

I have a spare pto winch, not the take off box on the gearbox, just the pto unit if anybody is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Thats quite a rare cruiser as Japanese and US production stopped in 1982/3. Toyota NZ kept assembling them until 1985 and the one I have is also 1985 release which made me the envy of all my cruiser owning US friends.
    I often wondered about that, because in 84/85 the 70 series flat deck came out didn't it?
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Front disk breaks off a later model cruiser (hilux may also fit but it was so long ago I can't remember) is the first thing I would do to one of these wagons.

I have a spare pto winch, not the take off box on the gearbox, just the pto unit if anybody is interested.

Yeah the drums in the front made me chuckle. I would say discs are on the cards as it sounds like a bolt on affair. Only reason I repaired the drums is that I've already gone through a fence when I jumped on the picks and it hooked to the right really sharply it was a cheap fix to stop me wrecking anything more

I've got an 83 diesel flatdeck that I ony use for spraying now. I got discs all round years ago. i think they were hilux discs and crown calipers

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post

I only head to manapouri a couple of times a year. As it happens I am on the way down there now.
    I shall look

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Pointer likes this.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Great, thanks!