Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: BT 50 any good ?

My 2001 Nissan caravan has a chain, which I thought was pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    Thought the BT-50's would have chain instead of cambelt? Might be the later ones.

If BT50 not doing well for owners, you'll need to view alternatives.

Reading a pile of aussie reviews/tests lately and they came down hard on Rangers (as does my diesel shop mate) for lack of reliability. Also they made much of late model Toyota problems - bad enough that there is a full class legal action by owners against Toyota in Aus for ongoing problems. Ouch. Reviewers asking why people want to buy them - marketing..

The truck they gave the nod to was the Isuzu D-Max. Still fitted with their light commercial 3.0 truck motor - not dropping to little 2.2 and 2.0 twin turbo high pressured motors which are not expected to last. Latest D-Max their truck of the year, and earlier ones also good reliability. Always a few exceptions but that's the Aussie finding, and mate's experience. What is this above about latest BT50s being isuzu platform - barring body details?

And good luck. with the search
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    If BT50 not doing well for owners, you'll need to view alternatives.

Reading a pile of aussie reviews/tests lately and they came down hard on Rangers (as does my diesel shop mate) for lack of reliability. Also they made much of late model Toyota problems - bad enough that there is a full class legal action by owners against Toyota in Aus for ongoing problems. Ouch. Reviewers asking why people want to buy them - marketing..

The truck they gave the nod to was the Isuzu D-Max. Still fitted with their light commercial 3.0 truck motor - not dropping to little 2.2 and 2.0 twin turbo high pressured motors which are not expected to last. Latest D-Max their truck of the year, and earlier ones also good reliability. Always a few exceptions but that's the Aussie finding, and mate's experience. What is this above about latest BT50s being isuzu platform - barring body details?

And good luck. with the search

I had a Hilux and quit it in favour of a D-Max. Yes, D-Max has a small truck motor from my readings. Only reason I traded my 2017 manual in was to get a run out MU-X auto as wifey struggles with manual gearbox due to left leg injury. I’ve been told by several people, including a car salesman, that the new Mazda has Isuzu under the skin. Salesman stated you could read Isuzu codes on the vehicle plate of the firewall. FWIW, I drove the D-Max for just over three years and added another 43000 to the odometer. It was reliable, towed well and comfort level was great for us retirees. I got my money back when I traded it in.
    The MU-X (2020 run out) is the same under the skin as the D-Max. I reckon it will see me out having now done a mere 800 Kms. Criticisms are the new vehicle has rear coil springs so tow weight is reduced to 3 tonne. The 3l turbo diesel (130Kw) is a tad loud if I accelerate hard. Otherwise it’s a very quiet SUV.
    rugerman likes this.

Mmmm - have an eye open for a Mu-X - nice unit and again has good ratings. Aussies said better motor and stronger drivetrain than competitors - still capable of solid offroading.

Had several isuzus over 20+ years and had very good run from them. Also had various utes in past construction role - they drove well but fortunately I wasn't doing the maintenance. Asked a local Toyota mechanic recently how his 5-7 year old hilux was - "good truck?" His answer was interesting. Didn't say yes at all - and he works on them all the time. Just said "Well...I know what the main problems are to fix them"...
    rugerman and Ingrid 51 like this.

Egr coolers , injector seals are common,injectors when needed (consumable part )the low speed intake runner can block with carbon, rest of motor is good , dual mass flywheel is shit, front diff has a stupid lug on bottom that can get broken if hit, other than that usual ute maintenance and they will Be good
    rugerman likes this.

Yeah I think that is my main worry with it. The ute has after market rims and mud tires which says to me it was offroaded a bit or beach driven. Hard to know without looking for telltale rust or bent bits underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I think part of the issue with the Toyota's is their reputation. Uncaring people drive them like the reputation says you can and find out you can't...

I suspect the BT50 has the same issue, I haven't noted many problems with drivers that treated them relatively gently. The earlier Courier/Bounty package has a similar reputation, treated gently they are very very capable and reliable, but man I have heard of people having massive dramas with second hand ones that were used hard.

Im not sure i would consider egr coolers, injectors etc "consumables" on a vehicle that had just clicked over 100k kms. Much less 2 egr coolers replaced less than 20k km apart?
    rugerman likes this.

I have the same model. Started at 109kms and just rolled over 170kms. Been a great work horse but may flog and go for something more work suitable as am a chippy. Like anything if you look after it they should behave.
    rugerman likes this.