Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Dump Truck

At the Super Pit in Kalgoorlie, driving up the main haul into Golden Pike in the wet, or after dust suppression, it wasn’t unusual to see a Cat 797 coming round the corner with a generous helping of opposite lock applied. Drifting these trucks around the one particular bend in the haul road was a rite of passage. It’s an entirely different game to drifting a 777... Needless to say it eventually ended in tears when one guy got overexcited and slid the truck sideways into the berm and tipped it over. That would’ve been 2013 or 2014 I guess.

There is some footage of this 797 drifting somewhere because I’ve seen it several times but no idea where but I’ll see if I can track it down.
    Just...say...the...word

If it's as slippery as it looks it probably puts very little stress on the empty machine, probably a lot less than travelling on a dry bumpy road fully loaded.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I guess the principle is the same but shit, you'd want to know your side marker locations for visibility and drift limits in a 797... Wasn't kalgoorlie the place where they ran the 797 vs redundant Landcruiser demo and the engine block in the cruiser ended up 50mm thick???
    Would be hard to actually squash an engine block that thin just pushing it into the ground, would more likely be pushed down untill only 50mm showed above ground.

But kangaroos on the other hand, would feed on all the vegetation on the sides of the haul road (cause of leaks on the dewatering pipes) and multiple times a night would get fed under the wheels of a 150 tonner. They were nothing more than a 30 metre long red splat. Nothing resembling a roo left at all

Theres 200-250 797 trucks in this area, (Canada oil sands) been a few fatalities with a haul trucks, running over a pickup, (Ford 350), i can believe engine block crushing to 50mm, its only cast iron, pistons are alloy, its 400-425 ton payload and another 200-240 ton of truck weight, depending on add on's.

Flipping a 793 truck box, after welders, replaces a dozen ribs, (rotted out)

Name:  IMG_2299.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  1.44 MB

Flipping a 793 truck box, after welders, replaces a dozen ribs, (rotted out)

Attachment 148094Name:  IMG_2299.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  1.44 MB

My daughter in WA, Pilbara area use to drive these toys for a few yrs.Like driving a 3 story house around.Its parked by a big grader.
    No drifting aloud.lols.Took 30 minuts for predrive check,snakes,spiders ,fuel, tyers,electrics.Name:  received_458635398356586.jpeg
Views: 89
Size:  210.0 KB