Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Extractors on Suzuki Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Every little thing helps, but to really get the most from the 'each little thing' it would pay to do the lot. I would make a point of sorting the miss issues before spending a heap of coin on it, the one I helped on that was bad for missing and losing HP (really flat off the line and missing and farting about for no really easy to id reason) got a lot of work done to it but even with the replacement engine it still had the miss. Ended up getting sold with the miss and a boot full of once-used parts, I can't remember if the new owner sorted the thing. Apart from the miss (it had replacement or fully checked out coils, ecu, MAF sensor, oxygen sensors, crank angle/knock, cam, temp, oil pressure and temp, the whole 19 yards). I can't think off hand of anything that wasn't tried and the bitch still missed and farted about. Possibly the only thing left would have been the loom, but they even checked that out and cleared it...
    That is pretty much what we have done so far prior to discovering the crack in the head and the missing water. We had a MAF issue about 8 years ago and replaced the MAF and it has run well ever since which is why , when it started again late last year, I replaced the MAF first thinking it was that. That made no difference, hence leads, and plugs, dizzy and rotor, coil and fuel filter as we worked through what could cause it.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

I assume you have tried different octane levels???? seems a lot of new vechiles are really fussy about which they like..... we have range of options now,none cheap but the difference in power between 91 and 98 octane is rather a lot.... small motors notice this even more so.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Good point there, the V6 version pinked and farted about on 91 but didn't have the miss or other issues. Run a sh1tload better on 96 and worked out cheaper on mileage...
    Micky Duck and Localman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I assume you have tried different octane levels???? seems a lot of new vechiles are really fussy about which they like..... we have range of options now,none cheap but the difference in power between 91 and 98 octane is rather a lot.... small motors notice this even more so.
    I dont think I could call my '96 JX Vaitara 'new".... I have tried running it on 96 for a few months a few years back and did not notice any discernible difference. Even Ks per litre remained unchanged. Its really only the last few months it has started playing up. I have had it for over 10 years and it has always run well, been looked after fluids changed, filters changed etc. A lot of the things I have changed trying to find the issue are things that it was probably due to be replaced anyway given it is over 25 years old and has 270,000 on the clock. ( I have had it since 160,000 km)

As mentioned, It has not been driven hard enough to get it really hot in the decade or so that I have owned it. And in the last 6 months, the only thing that has changed is that I use it once a week or maybe fortnight rather than 2 or 3 times a week as I have been motorcycling to commute more to use less fuel. It is 30km to work each day so when I do commute, they are getting a proper run not a short stop start park type commute.

All I really want to achieve is to get another 10 years or more out of a vehicle that I enjoy using. It is the right size for what I want to do with it and while a little more power is always nice- I dont need it, so I am happy with driving it within its limitations.
    Last edited by timattalon; 26-06-2022 at 04:39 AM.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Shouldn't be too hard finding decent wrecker bits for it on the plus side - also the lack of modern CANBus systems is on your side for anything you want to do as you don't have to threathen the thing to make it play nicely with any new bits!
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard finding decent wrecker bits for it on the plus side - also the lack of modern CANBus systems is on your side for anything you want to do as you don't have to threathen the thing to make it play nicely with any new bits!
    Wreckers can be a nit hit and miss...In this case, they have plenty of original cast headers like I have but very few aftermarket extractors as they sell pretty quickly. Same with the heads...mainly because it seems to be a fairly common issue so most heads at the wreckers are either cracked, or sold. And there used to be three wreckers here that I knew had these, one sold the land and shut up shop, one sold out to the neighbouring wrecker who decided nothing under 20 years old....and the third winds up selling the 'good' bits pretty much as fast as they come in....

Caretaker
    There is an Auckland company selling new cylinder head kits for all sorts of vehicles

Have used their kits three times now on friends vehicles and they are solid quality

Even had all gaskets and TTY head bolts
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Probably kiwi cylinder heads.
    Do good deals most of the normal diesel motors here but I do know it pays to get a better head gasket. Otherwise pretty good pricing and generally reliable

I don't know if their still going.
    It was called Mudbits I think up , Tauraunga. Did extractors & extras for Suki's.

Ours gave up about the same km.
    Cracked on top of the head between the core plugs.

Usually the original manifolds were dumped because the inner skin failed & blocked the passages.
    Ours was single skin so they must have changed the design at some time.
    We had the same problem trying to get good second hand parts.

For a simple engine doing the head takes a lot of patience.
    & small fingers.

Great little trucks when they're going.

We've now got the Grand Vitara 2l four door.
    Bit gutless over the Napier Taupo but more room.
    Pennyless
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

Hmm all this chat makes me think about getting another. Apparently you can swap in an EFI swift motor, same block etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Hmm all this chat makes me think about getting another. Apparently you can swap in an EFI swift motor, same block etc.
    I heard the Baleno of the same age was (almost) the same motor too

These guys are great for info.
    https://www.suzuki-forums.com/forums/#suzuki-models.145
    I'm on there to keep up with the latest info on our wee Ignis.
    Anyway, some good guys on there and they may help out with 'what fits with what'?
    Did the Vitara's suffer from inlets coking up? Better fuel (95) cured a lot of problems with cars that suffered from that.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    An all alloy 289 or 302 you mean

With a diesel hilux box n transfer case

Couple of auto hilux diffs and she be a cruiser

Keep it standard on the outside
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

On the earlier Vitara's it was quite common for the exhaust manifolds to collapse internally and this would lead to low power and heat build up and head failure. Extractors where the common fix. I got a set in from eBay many years back as at the time all NZ suppliers had no stock available. It was cost effective then.
    timattalon, csmiffy and dannyb like this.