Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree891Likes

Thread: Getting power out of a harley

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    A mate of mine changes his bikes like other people change undies

He got himself a Buell after having owned many bikes including Harleys

I asked him how he found it and his words were -

"It's just like a Harley except it goes around corners and stops"
    Certainly some good options to look into here. I did have a buell xb12, it was a lot of fun. A little impractical for the longer trips etc. This thread certainly has made me laugh... good to see the bikie cult still going strong. Even a pocket bike in the mix! We also use to race them on our local Roy's hill go cart track. Good humor. All bikes are different strokes for different folks however and these days I like my knees stretched out, arms up and turning myself into a giant, non streamline wind sail. I know pretty much anything Italian or Japanese is going to have more power than a harley. I probably should've kept my triumph rocket, aside from brakes it had it all! I'll be going into this with an open mind, that being said, I see alot of chopped 7mm rem mags on here, 7mm08s reamed to 284, carbon barrels replacing sako ones etc etc. Some say wasted money, some say custom, I say good on them.
    308, Shearer, outlander and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Certainly some good options to look into here. I did have a buell xb12, it was a lot of fun. A little impractical for the longer trips etc. This thread certainly has made me laugh... good to see the bikie cult still going strong. Even a pocket bike in the mix! We also use to race them on our local Roy's hill go cart track. Good humor. All bikes are different strokes for different folks however and these days I like my knees stretched out, arms up and turning myself into a giant, non streamline wind sail. I know pretty much anything Italian or Japanese is going to have more power than a harley. I probably should've kept my triumph rocket, aside from brakes it had it all! I'll be going into this with an open mind, that being said, I see alot of chopped 7mm rem mags on here, 7mm08s reamed to 284, carbon barrels replacing sako ones etc etc. Some say wasted money, some say custom, I say good on them.
    Test ride everything you can get your hands on. You may be surprised.
    outlander, rewa and Ftx325 like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Harleys are good for chugging along in a straight line, but don't have the cornering clearance for my liking, but as you say different strokes for different folks.
    I bought my Suzuki bandit for travelling up to Dorkland but for a "sports/tourer the seat is too narrow and hard for my arse. After about an hour I just want to get off. You would think with all the padding in my generous ass it wouldn't be a problem, but I guess it's made for little 60kg jap bums. It's a bit heavy too for puttering around town so I'm gonna look for a mid sized cruiser type bike with a seat like they were "back in the day". My old GPZ750 had a bench seat that you could sit on all day no worries. Seems most manufacturers these days go for styling over comfort.

Very true about speedos!! I never accept any speed reading until I've GPS'd it as some speedos can be 9% out - and are commonly 5% out - or so the local instrument tech tells me.

Yep ride comfort alot more important than max speed after 1-2 hours on the road. Some nice bikes popping up here - the XJ900 and GPZ750 etc. Kind of bikes you wish you still had.. This old schooler was my favorite ride - nothing like the Suzuki GS750 and Yammy FZ750 for speed but you'd climb off after 3-400ks feeling good:

https://ridermagazine.com/2006/01/21...ohc-1975-1978/

Cameron - that 09 Harley Nightster has about 64rwhp to start with - or so I read - and that ain't bad. Yes its heavy and its no sports bike but its got enough hp to have some straightline fun. Being a Harley there must be lots of different aftermarket head/barrel/piston sets you can buy for greater compression? Or can you buy and transplant a secondhand 100hp unit into it? Great that you enjoy them - must have a closer look at one some day. Its totally clear after decades with bikes and a few sportscars (if you're not doing track) that maximum hp and highest speed are NOT the main criteria for a personal best bike or car. Absolutely not. Also true the world would be a bloody boring place if people only bought what I think was best!!

Go for it.... Let's have a pic of this thing, and while you're at it tell us why they're fun. Suck it up boys... Its Harley week
    Last edited by mudgripz; 02-10-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    rewa, Finnwolf and Ftx325 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Very true about speedos!! I never accept any speed reading until I've GPS'd it as some speedos can be 9% out - and are commonly 5% out - or so the local instrument tech tells me.

Yep ride comfort alot more important than max speed after 1-2 hours on the road. Some nice bikes popping up here - the XJ900 and GPZ750 etc. Kind of bikes you wish you still had.. This old schooler was my favorite ride - nothing like the Suzuki GS750 and Yammy FZ750 for speed but you'd climb off after 3-400ks feeling good:

https://ridermagazine.com/2006/01/21...ohc-1975-1978/

Cameron - that 09 Harley Nightster has about 64rwhp to start with - or so I read - and that ain't bad. Yes its heavy and its no sports bike but its got enough hp to have some straightline fun. Being a Harley there must be lots of different aftermarket head/barrel/piston sets you can buy for greater compression? Or can you buy and transplant a secondhand 100hp unit into it? Great that you enjoy them - must have a closer look at one some day. Its totally clear after decades with bikes and a few sportscars (if you're not doing track) that maximum hp and highest speed are NOT the main criteria for a personal best bike or car. Absolutely not. Also true the world would be a bloody boring place if people only bought what I think was best!!

Go for it.... Let's have a pic of this thing, and while you're at it tell us why they're fun. Suck it up boys... Its Harley week
    Those Honda 750s' were reputed to produce the original 68hp that the first KO did. Never sold very well, as many new models hit the scene at around the same time. Suzuki GS etc.

This is a Bandit that I built in Ozzy, back when Street Fighters were in vogue. It had cams, GSXR shock, short dog bones, timing advance etc. Very nimble with the weight on the front, but still wheelie prone with one tooth less on the counter shaft.Name:  machans beach 039.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  4.57 MBName:  machans beach 040.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  4.75 MB

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    As clear as crystal...mine is definitely a big old girls blouse. I shall post a pic tomorrow. Is extraction a painful procedure? Asking for a friend who has piles...
    As promised...note the racing ignition, shock and expansion chamber. I can imagine your envy.Name:  IMG_1964.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  3.53 MB

Twelve pages later and still no ones figured out to get power and handling out of a Harley Fergusson. Melt the bloody thing down and turn it into something else. lol
    300CALMAN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    just need a set of foot pegs a bit further back for wheelie practice shame its not road legal.
    It's a very GOOD thing that it's not road legal!

Back in the day I used to scream around the roads of Phnom Penh on a not very road legal Honda CR80 with bits missing off it. Looked a bit like that. Boys could hear me heading home from 3km away
    berg243, outlander and rewa like this.

Name:  Screenshot_20201002-191308_Messenger.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  678.0 KB

This is the noisy, rattly culprit.
    300CALMAN, rossi.45, rewa and 2 others like this.

Looks like it'd weigh about the same as a block of flats, but I must try one one day.....
    308, rewa and Ftx325 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Looks like it'd weigh about the same as a block of flats, but I must try one one day.....
    If you're ever in the hawkes bay region take this one for a spin. You'll be underwhelmed and still somehow love every minute!
    mudgripz, outlander, rewa and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Attachment 150528

This is the noisy, rattly culprit.
    Well, it's an EVO...looks the part. See no EVO, Hear no EVO, Speak no EVO.
    Ftx325 likes this.

That's one big chunk of iron under the tank... could pop a Kenworth in it and lighten it up a bit....

Definitely going to try one but... should be fun