Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree891Likes

Thread: Getting power out of a harley

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    You want to turn heads, you want power to weight ratio, you want to grind foot rests when you carve around those bends. Sell the Harley and buy a older 2 stroke. Easy to work on, cheaper to fix when you break it and any more than 2 strokes is a wank. The sound of a angry 2 stroke will annoy the neighbors, the smell you leave when you release the beast make the greenies higher than the shit they are smoking. Rinnngggg ding ding ding ding
    wait till you ridden a bike with a rotary !!! riinnn ding dont even come close to pissing off hippies !!

northdude
    A v rod would be getting close to everything your looking for but then even one of those isnt actually a hd I heard they are more an apprilla

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    A v rod would be getting close to everything your looking for but then even one of those isnt actually a hd I heard they are more an apprilla
    designed by porsche

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    my 2c . . . beware of what you think you want

all that fun you had was on the bike the way it is . . . run 2 bikes if you want want something with some real power, hopefully it has decent brakes & frame etc hat handles that extra performance.

i have thoughts from time to time of upgrading my older Triumph for a newer model with more horses, better brakes, all the new tech stuff . . but i fight that urge because i know in reality its the feeling i get on the bike now that puts that big grin on my face, getting somewhere quicker isnt going to do that.
    when i do open it up when i feel like breaking the law and risking my licence ( crazy i know ) i love that roar from the induction noise as the carbs suck more air, getting down low on the tank and the old girl struggling to push through the air with me hanging on, that is Old School fun. having another 50hp isnt going to make me happier, infact itll make it to easy.
    i dont want, fuel injection, heated grips, cruise control, ABS, traction control or any other modern BS, bunch of pussys if you ask me, but good luck to them that want that . . each to their own.

enjoy yourself and good luck.
    I was very much of the same opinion about tech on bikes but took a KTM 790 Duke for a test ride a couple of years ago and was sold. Traction control, lean angle sensitive ABS, slipper clutch, quick shifter and auto blipper, wheelie control (all of which can be turned off), 4 different ride modes plus super-motard option (turns ABS off on the rear wheel only). My Z1000 by comparison was no tech. Great bike but not on the same page as the Duke. The 790 is such a hoot to ride. Light, nimble, great torque and acceleration and so easy to ride. On roads like Takaka hill it is a match for any 1000cc sports bike. I just can't stop grinning every time I'm on it.
    I have ridden and owned a lot of different bikes from RG500s to MT01s (there's one you might like) Monsters to RC8s, MV Dragsters to Triumph Tigers. They all have their own character and everyone likes something different. My advice would be to go and test ride everything you can get your hands on. You never know what might spin your wheels.
    Last edited by Shearer; 29-09-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    veitnamcam, rossi.45 and rewa like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Last edited by Shearer; 29-09-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Do a stage 4 on it or fit a 131 and you'll be sorted.
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I was very much of the same opinion about tech on bikes but took a KTM 790 Duke for a test ride a couple of years ago and was sold. Traction control, lean angle sensitive ABS, slipper clutch, quick shifter and auto blipper, wheelie control (all of which can be turned off), 4 different ride modes plus super-motard option (turns ABS off on the rear wheel only). My Z1000 by comparison was no tech. Great bike but not on the same page as the Duke. The 790 is such a hoot to ride. Light, nimble, great torque and acceleration and so easy to ride. On roads like Takaka hill it is a match for any 1000cc sports bike. I just can't stop grinning every time I'm on it.
    I have ridden and owned a lot of different bikes from RG500s to MT01s (there's one you might like) Monsters to RC8s, MV Dragsters to Triumph Tigers. They all have their own character and everyone likes something different. My advice would be to go and test ride everything you can get your hands on. You never know what might spin your wheels.
    and any one of those on that list would spin it's wheels faster than a harley ever could!
    Decide exactly want you want to do with a bike before you commit... but you will just be wasting perfectly good money throwing it at your current machine expecting it to improve by any real amount unless you spend silly amounts on it that you will never get back on resale. Is it really worth it ?
    outlander likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    my 2c . . . beware of what you think you want

all that fun you had was on the bike the way it is . . . run 2 bikes if you want want something with some real power, hopefully it has decent brakes & frame etc hat handles that extra performance.

i have thoughts from time to time of upgrading my older Triumph for a newer model with more horses, better brakes, all the new tech stuff . . but i fight that urge because i know in reality its the feeling i get on the bike now that puts that big grin on my face, getting somewhere quicker isnt going to do that.
    when i do open it up when i feel like breaking the law and risking my licence ( crazy i know ) i love that roar from the induction noise as the carbs suck more air, getting down low on the tank and the old girl struggling to push through the air with me hanging on, that is Old School fun. having another 50hp isnt going to make me happier, infact itll make it to easy.
    i dont want, fuel injection, heated grips, cruise control, ABS, traction control or any other modern BS, bunch of pussys if you ask me, but good luck to them that want that . . each to their own.

enjoy yourself and good luck.
    Couldn't have said it better. I have a '75 XLCH 1000 which is supposed to generate 65hp. Not far off a modern day monstrous Harley and a Honda 750 of yesteryear. It doesn't matter a jot though. Read what Rossi 45 wrote again.
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    You want to turn heads, you want power to weight ratio, you want to grind foot rests when you carve around those bends. Sell the Harley and buy a older 2 stroke. Easy to work on, cheaper to fix when you break it and any more than 2 strokes is a wank. The sound of a angry 2 stroke will annoy the neighbors, the smell you leave when you release the beast make the greenies higher than the shit they are smoking. Rinnngggg ding ding ding ding
    All hail the Kawasaki triples, RD Yamahas and Bridgestone 350.

I suppose this thread is the motorbike equivalent of ‘How can I make my 7.62X39 into a good 600 yard+ hunting rifle’

Horses for courses...
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    I had a fairingless RF 900 that wouldn't agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    I suppose this thread is the motorbike equivalent of ‘How can I make my 7.62X39 into a good 600 yard+ hunting rifle’

Horses for courses...
    A little more technical though. I've found a compressed load of shotty powder in my short 7.62 does 800 metres every day of the week. The bullet follows soon after...
    257weatherby likes this.

Great thread - very funny

I agree that hp is not the chief criterion. It isn't with sports cars either. You can only do 140kph and its byebye licence. Just find the model/design that pushes YOUR personal buttons and thats what matters. If you want a big hp increase the HD platform may not do this economically, but there will certainly be other models/makes that will give you this. Go try a few and see what puts a smile on your dial..

I had several jap 750 fours from suzuki, yamaha, honda. And the one i liked most to climb on for a weekend cruise was actually the slowest - my old 1977 CB750F Honda with about 67hp. Beautiful old girl - wish I still had that one and not the FZ750 Yamaha etc. It ain't about max speed and hp..

Everyone has their power "requirements" as to what works for you. I have a little KLE 500 adventure bike and am always disappointed when I get on it an turn the throttle after riding the Duke or the RC8. I would love an adventure bike with more power but can't find one I can touch the ground on
    veitnamcam and Padox like this.

chuck one of these into it:

Name:  202.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  13.5 KB
    300CALMAN, rossi.45 and rewa like this.
    Use enough gun