Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree891Likes

Thread: Getting power out of a harley

I love my Interceptor.Name:  20200810_182300.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  1.44 MB
    300CALMAN, stevodog, rewa and 2 others like this.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Now that makes me miss my old trumpys. I have always had at least 2 bikes if not 3. The racey jappa and an old triumph , if not a newer triumph as well. I have had many over the yeasrs including several 500 daytonas as well as a couple of late model 955 daytonas for 'touring', a couple of t150 tridents one of which I fitted a hard tail frame off of an early triumph which just bolted straight on basically and made up alloy forward controls and fitted drag bars with Harley rims laced on to the hubs for a 16 inch rear wheel and 21 front along with a modified harley front guard and custom made rear guard. And could be put back to factory in an afternoon. Also a couple of t140 bonnies the last one I just sold a year ago was a Harris 140 750. Owned that machine for over 15 yrs and did a complete ground up rebuild on it, and I mean complete. Even hand made some stainless bits and pieces for it that can't be bought for love or money. At one point I even pestered the amal factory for a set of new carbs as they didn't make them any more being what was known as the 1 1/2 rather than the 1 or 2's which were the common carbs and after six months of calling them every week they finally relented and made a run of three sets for sale. Miss that bike.
    john m, outlander and rewa like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    I love my Interceptor.Attachment 150425
    My one will have an Orange Crush coloured tank (‘Er indoors decision!) but will otherwise look the same, we’re looking forwards to getting it!
    john m, outlander and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Interceptor looks interesting - alot like a 70s Bonnie... Could be a good cruiser - reliability record?

Wandered around India with the other lost hippies 40 odd years ago and there were untold millions of the old 350 Enfields single bangers....
    I gather the reliability has been sorted, likewise the construction and frame.

The only reservation is that it’s LAMS approved so won’t have the torque etc of my 1550cc last bike - but all I’m after is a nice looking reliable bike to pootle around on.
    mudgripz and john m like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Name:  IMG_5114.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  1.66 MB

Her you go my latest mid Restoration... Getting hard to get un molested good ones Push the button it goes every time Everyone falls in love with it .. Got the last carrier, carb kit front wheel
    and other bits ex Honda

Been offered silly money 1986 model its all done now

Need to get newer pic
    Last edited by Happy; 30-09-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    mudgripz, 300CALMAN and rewa like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Attachment 150427

Her you go my latest mid Restoration... Getting hard to get un molested good ones Push the button it goes every time Everyone falls in love with it .. Got the last carrier, carb kit front wheel
    and other bits ex Honda

Been offered silly money 1986 model its all done now

Need to get newer pic
    They make good go cart motors the Nifty. AG100 carb, port job and an expansion chamber

Name:  gocart for rex 005.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  174.5 KB
    veitnamcam, 300CALMAN and rewa like this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Harley-ferguson's arnt known for their performance, its mostly all noise and looks
    The exception being the VROD, the early VRSCA 1133‘s were 115hp out of the box, the later models like the Nightrod 1250 had 125. Turbo and even supercharger mods are all the go. There’s a huge cult of the VROD in Germany because of the Porsche connection and there are some amazing customisations for sure. The VROD Destroyer drag bikes will run 9.5 sec 1/4s all day.
    rewa likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    The exception being the VROD, the early VRSCA 1133‘s were 115hp out of the box, the later models like the Nightrod 1250 had 125. Turbo and even supercharger mods are all the go. There’s a huge cult of the VROD in Germany because of the Porsche connection and there are some amazing customisations for sure. The VROD Destroyer drag bikes will run 9.5 sec 1/4s all day.
    And the Destroyer is a turn-key ride off from the dealer bike, no tweaking needed!
    ishoot10s likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Jesus I opened a can of worms here! I'm well aware of the pros and cons of most if not all bikes mentioned. I've done the jappa thing, even raced an rg150 at Manfield for a while in my earlier days as well as bucket racing as a kid. For no reason other than personal preference I enjoy the sporty. Was really gauging to see if anyone else had done cams right out to trask turbos in order to get more power. I'm certainly aware it can be a bottomless pit but hey, were only here once... theres a reason Harley's are still being sold, some of us seem to like them..
    yip, can't start a harley thread around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Now that makes me miss my old trumpys. I have always had at least 2 bikes if not 3. The racey jappa and an old triumph , if not a newer triumph as well. I have had many over the yeasrs including several 500 daytonas as well as a couple of late model 955 daytonas for 'touring', a couple of t150 tridents one of which I fitted a hard tail frame off of an early triumph which just bolted straight on basically and made up alloy forward controls and fitted drag bars with Harley rims laced on to the hubs for a 16 inch rear wheel and 21 front along with a modified harley front guard and custom made rear guard. And could be put back to factory in an afternoon. Also a couple of t140 bonnies the last one I just sold a year ago was a Harris 140 750. Owned that machine for over 15 yrs and did a complete ground up rebuild on it, and I mean complete. Even hand made some stainless bits and pieces for it that can't be bought for love or money. At one point I even pestered the amal factory for a set of new carbs as they didn't make them any more being what was known as the 1 1/2 rather than the 1 or 2's which were the common carbs and after six months of calling them every week they finally relented and made a run of three sets for sale. Miss that bike.
    Without pictures that is all just lies
    Ftx325 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Yeah, they may be fast by Harley standards but 125Hp is piss all today for a big engine. Every 1000cc sports bike (and a few nakeds) on the market now produces 200hp and weigh a hell of a lot less than any Harley. Even my 12 year old KTM RC8 produces 170hp and over 123nm of torque factory standard.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    This is agreat thread and I don't even like bikes, if you gave me one I'd give it back to you.
    however its been very interesting and easy to see the enthusiasm you guys have.
    Very
    Shearer, 300CALMAN, rewa and 1 others like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Yeah, they may be fast by Harley standards but 125Hp is piss all today for a big engine. Every 1000cc sports bike (and a few nakeds) on the market now produces 200hp and weigh a hell of a lot less than any Harley. Even my 12 year old KTM RC8 produces 170hp and over 123nm of torque factory standard.
    I probably shouldn't post in this thread but........

My last superbike made 205 at the wheel (not the crank as per standard factory hp lies) and weighed 170 dry, silly Vrod thingi wouldn't see what direction I went......... My last 600 made 125 at the wheel and weighed 155dry, silly Vrod thingy still wouldn't see which way I went. My current road bike (for sale as it happens) S1000RR makes 185 at the wheel (factory claim 200, but at the crank) but is a bit heavy at 198 wet, Silly Vrod thingi still wouldn't see where I went - The Vrod thing is about making up for a complete inability to ride a motorcycle that might ask questions of it's pilot, allows delusional numpties to believe they are somehow "fast".

A mate who fell in with a group somewhat dubious sub humans went off on a holiday and gave me his bike to look after/protect until he got back, positively begged me to ride the thing about believing I would fall in love with it as a riding platform - it was a Harley, tried it, so awful and frightening to ride, zero feel, zero ability to do anything a bike should do, and set up skills honed by years of serious racing couldn't change a thing - awful awful awful. Just why the fuck would you!!!!

The one exception I would consider making to my anti Harleyness, is an Aussie race series that had 883 Harleys as a support class, while they were a bit slow and ponderous, they were reconfigured to behave like an actual motorcycle, and I enjoyed the close racing they produced.

Still laughing remembering a bikkie mob that had their "pad" next to an engineering mates workshop, forever getting the "made in Japan" removed from various parts on their Harleys. Don't give a toss who made it myself, the only things I need to know: Can I stand it on it's nose then trail brake to the apex, can I carry the corner speed, can I stand it up and drive it out allowing some wheel spin to help finish the corner, is it stable enough to let me hold it pinned until I see God waiting at the end of the straight - coz that's what riding a bike is about.
    300CALMAN, outlander, rewa and 2 others like this.

You need counselling 257 ... 3-4 years would make a start

Wasn't aware the Honda 650 came as the CX in V-twin. Be a very smooth ride. The CB650F also took my fancy - dam nice looking bike and 63hp nothing to complain about in 79 - or now. Make a hell of a nice cruiser - I had an early CB750F and it was a gem:

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo..._cb650_79.html

Has anyone ridden the recent Indian Scout with 100hp? See them round from time to time...
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Without pictures that is all just lies
    Unfortunately mate the pictures are all old school not digital or I would post some. I will see what I can find.... All l have on my phone is the mighty tweaked R1 I had up until a year or so ago...

Name:  IMG_20190206_150805.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  6.60 MB
    Name:  IMG_20190201_175912.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  6.94 MB

Full race system, carbon everything,full spec k- tech race suspension etc etc
    born to hunt - forced to work