Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree891Likes

Thread: Getting power out of a harley

50km per hour over the speed limit is a charge and loss of license... im pretty sure if someone were fanging 120km per hour over, a cop won't let it slide. Unless said copper is a family member or mate I guess.

all depends on the suituation, a friend of mine on an MV Augusta was clocked at 220 and was given the maximum ticket (130km/hr if i remember right) so that he had one demerit point remaining till loss of licence. The cop was driving towards him and he pulled straight over and wasnt giving the cop a hard time.
    Not all police are out to ruin peoples lives
    Tertle, 300CALMAN and outlander like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Hey @257weatherby what is 'trail braking'
    Real trail braking is a race only thing, if you do it in the real world, you better understand just what you are doing.

When you reach your braking marker, you shut the throttle, use the rear brake to begin front end compression and then go to the front brake hard, (maybe 2 tenths of a second between them) (at this point you have already transferred your body position) you tip in at your turn marker still hard on the brakes, at this point you begin progressively releasing the front brake as the lean angle increases (you don't ask a tyre to hold lean, turn and stop at the same time, you must trade the competing pressures and find the optimum balance between them or crash) - just before the apex you have nearly full released the brakes and are already actively standing the bike up and beginning to open the throttle to drive it out.

Get it wrong and you tuck the front and crash, it is a delicate balance. The job of the rear brake in this, on approach, is to preload the front so the extreme brake effort you suddenly ask of the front doesn't get you out of shape, as you have already shifted you body position, you can use the rear brake to help step the rear wheel out ( backing it in, some do, some don't) because it can help to gets you turned faster, after attaining the turn geometry you want you leave the rear alone, its job is not to help you stop, only to turn! on the way out of the corner, the rear brake is used to help keep the front down so you can get maximum acceleration, front comes up on the gas, you lose time modulating the throttle to control it, brake is faster and less clumsy, you simply keep it pinned.

Not sure I've explained it well enough, but it is what it is.
    stevodog, outlander, rewa and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Yeah I used to ride with some people from the kiwibiker forum, but they always seemed to want to be racing everywhere so gave them the flick. Came around the corner on 1 ride over the Wairarapa and a bunch of sheep on the road. 1 guy 2 up couldn't stop and had a ding dong into them. You have to ride like the bastards are out to get ya, cause sometimes the tin tops are.

Lol BenTard, I had a loaner bike that was a bit like that. It was a 1800 Suzuki Boulevard with a huge flat car tire on it. Scraped the footpeg going around a roundabout. Felt like shit up on the edge of the tire. Not my cup of tea

I’ve also ridden with a Kiwibiker crew, we all knew each other and the various riding skills/styles etc, never had any issues.

But then again we were (a) older and (b) had many years of riding experience (some of it track)

Unfortunately I once went on a large charity ride with randoms - hoo boy, THAT was an experience never to be repeated!

Passing on blind bends, riding two metres behind the bikes on front, three abreast, undertaking etc etc.
    outlander and rewa like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

This is a dangerous thread for the wallet...once a bikie always a bikie!

Have half an eye open for something to play with again. Some great machine styles appearing here and I like these 650 size cruisers like the interceptor, CX650 etc. Mmmmmmm...

In the past my kids had a whole series of little learner bikes like the Yamaha Chappy 50, Suzuki Maverick 50, Suzuki RV90 etc.. These were great little machines and they are worth quite alot now. There is a facebook group called 'small bike runs in canterbury' and they gather groups of up to 100 of these little 50-100cc machines out for rides. Definitely going to see them all in the carpark next time. Alot of the riders have all the flash jackets and gear for their big machines at home, but they really enjoy bringing out these restored wee ones. Great to see..
    300CALMAN, rossi.45 and rewa like this.

The trouble with riding at 100% on the road, is sooner or later you come around the corner to gravel on the road or someone pulling out of a driveway and your off to meet ya maker.
    I like going around corners so aren't too keen on Harleys Got a 1250 Bandit at the mo and it's got all the grunt I need. Bit on the heavy side though.
    Now, ain't that just the truth...

Yeah I used to ride with some people from the kiwibiker forum, but they always seemed to want to be racing everywhere so gave them the flick. Came around the corner on 1 ride over the Wairarapa and a bunch of sheep on the road. 1 guy 2 up couldn't stop and had a ding dong into them. You have to ride like the bastards are out to get ya, cause sometimes the tin tops are.

Lol BenTard, I had a loaner bike that was a bit like that. It was a 1800 Suzuki Boulevard with a huge flat car tire on it. Scraped the footpeg going around a roundabout. Felt like shit up on the edge of the tire. Not my cup of tea
    I thought that those big fat car tyre bikes were only sold to the 'expert' motorbike riders? I see a lot of them even have signs attached to their backs and long handelbars for more 'control'.
    rugerman and rewa like this.

i tried riding a harley but didnt like the ride position, each to their own i guess.
    but a few months back i had a customer bring me the electronics module out of a recent one and to say it was antiquated electronics and looked like it had been soldered by an epileptic inebriated chimpanzee would be about right
    Shearer and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    If ya wanna go light and small but still feel the need to pull 9 sec 1/4 miles, these may be the ticket.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2hgK-wZ1XA
    Not too good on the corners though
    Very cool and probably the essence of biking.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Real trail braking is a race only thing, if you do it in the real world, you better understand just what you are doing.

When you reach your braking marker, you shut the throttle, use the rear brake to begin front end compression and then go to the front brake hard, (maybe 2 tenths of a second between them) (at this point you have already transferred your body position) you tip in at your turn marker still hard on the brakes, at this point you begin progressively releasing the front brake as the lean angle increases (you don't ask a tyre to hold lean, turn and stop at the same time, you must trade the competing pressures and find the optimum balance between them or crash) - just before the apex you have nearly full released the brakes and are already actively standing the bike up and beginning to open the throttle to drive it out.

Get it wrong and you tuck the front and crash, it is a delicate balance. The job of the rear brake in this, on approach, is to preload the front so the extreme brake effort you suddenly ask of the front doesn't get you out of shape, as you have already shifted you body position, you can use the rear brake to help step the rear wheel out ( backing it in, some do, some don't) because it can help to gets you turned faster, after attaining the turn geometry you want you leave the rear alone, its job is not to help you stop, only to turn! on the way out of the corner, the rear brake is used to help keep the front down so you can get maximum acceleration, front comes up on the gas, you lose time modulating the throttle to control it, brake is faster and less clumsy, you simply keep it pinned.

Not sure I've explained it well enough, but it is what it is.
    Um... sounds a bit like premature ejaculation control?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    I’ve also ridden with a Kiwibiker crew, we all knew each other and the various riding skills/styles etc, never had any issues.

But then again we were (a) older and (b) had many years of riding experience (some of it track)

Unfortunately I once went on a large charity ride with randoms - hoo boy, THAT was an experience never to be repeated!

Passing on blind bends, riding two metres behind the bikes on front, three abreast, undertaking etc etc.
    You should never do those...

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Um... sounds a bit like premature ejaculation control?
    no that would be thinking about a certain politician............
    300CALMAN and outlander like this.

Yeah, remember those little 50cc replicas of the race bikes, they could do about 120km/h but tiny little wheels. Looked pretty hard case.

I've been thinking about getting a mid sized bike since the seat on the bandit is a bit hard for my delicate arse I'm not keen on the riding position on some of the cruiser bikes though with ya feet up in the front. Doesn't inspire confidence mid corner as you know you have no chance of putting your foot down if ya get a bit wonky.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    This is a dangerous thread for the wallet...once a bikie always a bikie!

Have half an eye open for something to play with again. Some great machine styles appearing here and I like these 650 size cruisers like the interceptor, CX650 etc. Mmmmmmm...

In the past my kids had a whole series of little learner bikes like the Yamaha Chappy 50, Suzuki Maverick 50, Suzuki RV90 etc.. These were great little machines and they are worth quite alot now. There is a facebook group called 'small bike runs in canterbury' and they gather groups of up to 100 of these little 50-100cc machines out for rides. Definitely going to see them all in the carpark next time. Alot of the riders have all the flash jackets and gear for their big machines at home, but they really enjoy bringing out these restored wee ones. Great to see..

Yeah, remember those little 50cc replicas of the race bikes, they could do about 120km/h but tiny little wheels. Looked pretty hard case.

I've been thinking about getting a mid sized bike since the seat on the bandit is a bit hard for my delicate arse I'm not keen on the riding position on some of the cruiser bikes though with ya feet up in the front. Doesn't inspire confidence mid corner as you know you have no chance of putting your foot down if ya get a bit wonky.
    "pit racers" i'm 6'2 and got onto one for a blast even 80k felt like i had been strapped onto a rocket !!!! it was like a V1 rocket on a skateboard
    mudgripz, rugerman, rewa and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    "pit racers" i'm 6'2 and got onto one for a blast even 80k felt like i had been strapped onto a rocket !!!! it was like a V1 rocket on a skateboard
    A group of us used to take over the local go cart track at the beach here and race our pocket bikes once a month . they were 40-50 cc and capable of over 60kmh, mid shin in height at the seat and were an absolute blast. I still have mine in the shed and fire it up and do a lap of the neighborhood occasionally. I fitted mine with a high compression cnc machined head, full stainless exhaust an chamber, huge carb and free flow air filter etc. Painted it up .50cc of insanity. Have pics somewhere popping little wheelies coming out of the corners at the track under power. I will post a pic of the bike later for a laugh.
    rugerman, outlander and rewa like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work