Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Help me! 4x4 Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    If someone suggests a 4wd to you and tells you how awsem it is the give away will be how shiney it is if its really shiney chances are its just a posers 4wd

No worries northdude I have that one sorted.

BTW is there anything wrong with Nissan Mistrals? I know they don't look cool but they do have a TD27 motor or what ever it's called don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    BTW is there anything wrong with Nissan Mistrals? I know they don't look cool but they do have a TD27 motor or what ever it's called don't they?
    Share the same frame as a WD21/D21 Terrano, front steering can be a bit weak if abused, manual gearboxes in the terranos had issues with a low oil level, the fill bung was cast too low in the housing so a top up was required to 'overfill' them to keep them quiet. Most run the TD27 motor, which is a TD42 with two cylinders chopped off. shares the same internals.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Share the same frame as a WD21/D21 Terrano, front steering can be a bit weak if abused, manual gearboxes in the terranos had issues with a low oil level, the fill bung was cast too low in the housing so a top up was required to 'overfill' them to keep them quiet. Most run the TD27 motor, which is a TD42 with two cylinders chopped off. shares the same internals.
    I think they also have a different, less serviceable, injector pump.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I have a bighorn, been a reasonable 4x4, but they are getting long in the tooth now and harder to get parts, I had to put a bit of money and lots of time, into both my 4x4 cars in the last few years, a Suzuki vitara, (96), and bighorn (98). Suzuki parts are expensive,

You will get more bang for you buck, with a car biased 4x4 or AWD, the likes of a Subaru, legacy/outback, and they are quite capable of road, and with boat and trailer, few others makes around now, highlander, ford excape, territory etc.

i have a 3.0 legacy, goes great. wont touch a new one though as they have gone CVT. pure evil

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have a 3.0 legacy, goes great. wont touch a new one though as they have gone CVT. pure evil
    Got an outback, haven't pushed it off road but a mates gone some places in his forester.
    Petros_mk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    Yes I am pretty sure CVT was invented by Satan, primarily to save car companies money. I managed to get us a family wagon without CVT, it was one of my prerequisites.

BTW thanks guys for all the information.

Yes I am pretty sure CVT was invented by Satan, primarily to save car companies money. I managed to get us a family wagon without CVT, it was one of my prerequisites.

BTW thanks guys for all the information.
    It is actually the perfect transmission if done properly, then retard consumers want gear changes so they program "gear" steps into them and totally defeat the purpose and advantage
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    It is actually the perfect transmission if done properly, then retard consumers want gear changes so they program "gear" steps into them and totally defeat the purpose and advantage
    HAHA yeah I read about that. But aren't they useless for towing?

HAHA yeah I read about that. But aren't they useless for towing?
    No...... ford and mazda gearboxes are useless for towing....Well up untill about 2010 time will tell on the later ones.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

OK Team so I need to change my 4x4 to a family friendly one and I am after some advice.

I currently have a 1996 4x4 Isuzu Mu diesel which has served me very well for the last 5 years but I need a 4 door now. It gets used as a run around and a bit of 4wd work on farms but very little serious off roading. It also gets used to tow a trailer (usually full of soil, gravel or rubbish) and hopefully a small boat again soon. Cant really justify more than about $5k so that leaves out Toyotas and anything recent.

My options are probably a Isuzu Wizard or Bighorn, Nissan or Mitsubishi. I have noticed a few of the more recent model Wizards around but understand that the diesel motor is crap? Maybe I should consider a petrol one.

Suggestions and Ideas?
    I've got a Wizard- moved up from the Mu- wish I still had the Mu however the Wizard is fine. it's 21 year new and goes great, little or no oil loss and power is fine. Just make sure you don't get one with the 4jx1 oil seal eating version- costly.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I know a mechanic here that has had one in the yard for over a year. Owner doesn't want it back. The earlier model without the 4JX1 (I think) is good though.

After my Safari went walkabout I bought the
    4jx1 is uber shite- It's the one that eats oil seals for breakfast.
    I have a diesel Wizard, 96 and no issues what so ever. runs the 4jg2 engine and all good!
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Ive been down this road recently.
    I had an isuzu bighorn. Didnt really like it. Wasnt the grunty and felt like a big whale to drive. Had a petrol v6 pajero, couldnt afford to fill ut with petrol was super hungry.
    Ended up with a 1997 1kz surf. Love it. Heaps of bottom end power from the bighorns etc.
    They are alot more expensive but you will find and older 1994 one for around 5k.
    My 2 cents anyway

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rambo rem700 View Post
    Ive been down this road recently.
    I had an isuzu bighorn. Didnt really like it. Wasnt the grunty and felt like a big whale to drive. Had a petrol v6 pajero, couldnt afford to fill ut with petrol was super hungry.
    Ended up with a 1997 1kz surf. Love it. Heaps of bottom end power from the bighorns etc.
    They are alot more expensive but you will find and older 1994 one for around 5k.
    My 2 cents anyway

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Cheers, yes a Surf is still in the mix along with nissan terranos. Need some time to get out and look!