Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Hybrid Hilux announced

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    Can’t see too many farmers getting excited about a hybrid ute. Maybe a few city dwellers might be keen

As a dedicated JAFA I think you could be onto something. Personaly I'm not a fan of the batteries with their lack of end of life recycling options but I do know lots of people that only have 1 vehicle, so the boat tow wagon is also the daily driver. Maybe a PHEV/hybrid could be what some are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    I don’t really get Hybrids, you still have to put petrol in it, you still have to service the engine and you have an expensive battery that will slowly be degrading.
    Modern petrol and diesel vehicles are pretty fuel efficient these days.
    So I have no dog in this fight either way, just my $0.02c... my wife's work car is a hybrid, I have a V6 petrol dual cab ute. When we drove hers 2400km across the country, we were using 5.2 litres / 100km travelled. When I did the same trip a few months later in my ute (admittedly towing a trailer), I got 20 litres / 100km.
    so if my maths and memory serve, we spent $250 in fuel for her hybrid round trip vs $960 for mine. So in the short term, those savings add up.

that said, my ute is 20 years old... I doubt her hybrid will still be running in 20 years.
    Growlybear and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffer View Post
    So I have no dog in this fight either way, just my $0.02c... my wife's work car is a hybrid, I have a V6 petrol dual cab ute. When we drove hers 2400km across the country, we were using 5.2 litres / 100km travelled. When I did the same trip a few months later in my ute (admittedly towing a trailer), I got 20 litres / 100km.
    so if my maths and memory serve, we spent $250 in fuel for her hybrid round trip vs $960 for mine. So in the short term, those savings add up.

that said, my ute is 20 years old... I doubt her hybrid will still be running in 20 years.
    I hear you but 20L/ 100km is not a very good comparison. Most modern utes are between 8-9L/ 100kms. We do have RUC charges over here though which do push it up a lot.
    Micky Duck likes this.

The good wife n I went up north a year ago..hired wee rental hybrid... it surprised me how zippy it was and yes could see it charging when going downhills.... yes we used less fuel than we would have if driving normal wagon so yes it was a saving..BUT it would be no bloody use at all here in south canterbury where most of our roads are pretty much flat...
    we have a "THING" on our milk tankers that is a far more nifty fuel saving idea... I roll its called,it basically chucks the auto transmission into neutral when your coasting along,going downhill.... the furtherest Ive done so far is 9kms and still had to brake at corner as still doing 70kmph SLIGHT downhill with tailwind.... but it really only works with a heavy wagon that will maintain its momentum.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    The good wife n I went up north a year ago..hired wee rental hybrid... it surprised me how zippy it was and yes could see it charging when going downhills.... yes we used less fuel than we would have if driving normal wagon so yes it was a saving..BUT it would be no bloody use at all here in south canterbury where most of our roads are pretty much flat...
    we have a "THING" on our milk tankers that is a far more nifty fuel saving idea... I roll its called,it basically chucks the auto transmission into neutral when your coasting along,going downhill.... the furtherest Ive done so far is 9kms and still had to brake at corner as still doing 70kmph SLIGHT downhill with tailwind.... but it really only works with a heavy wagon that will maintain its momentum.
    Any time you take you foot off the accelerator, while still in motion, the battery is being charged. The topography is irrelevant. You end up using the brakes much less, and taking advantage of the regenerative braking more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beg to differ... on flat ground you dont button off to maintain a constant speed...
    Growlybear likes this.

Hybrids on flat country still use 40% less fuel than equivalent petrol option in passenger cars. My exp on Australia’s plains.

well it might not be completely useless then.

If, and that's if the Hilux gives similar savings to the petrol vs petrol hybrid Highander it'd be very impressive.
    https://www.autocar.co.nz/toyota-highlander-v6-limited/
    While we’d happily pay the $3000 premium for the hybrid, the V6 isn’t without merit, apart from the fact that it sucks gas. Comparing fuel use, the V6 is rated at 8.8L/100km on average, to the hybrid’s 5.6. The urban fuel use figures are telling; 11.8 for the V6, 6.0 for the hybrid. Driving the V6 over a week, we averaged 12.5L/100km, while the hybrid ended up at 6.1 for the same sort of urban driving, running around after the kids.

I'm still wondering what GR Sport gonna be like and now Hilux going hybrid in 2024.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Hybrids on flat country still use 40% less fuel than equivalent petrol option in passenger cars. My exp on Australia’s plains.
    This is my experience also. Have owned two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We found no difference. We have a corolla wagon and wife got a hybrid work car its an hour plus drive to work. Hybrid used the same amount of fuel as the corolla. The only time it went into electric mode was reversing out our drive way other than that the engine was running all the time?
    Growlybear and Micky Duck like this.

We have a hybrid Toyota Highlander and it’s great. Very efficient on fuel for a big 7 seater that can still haul when you put your foot down.

Apparently the Hilux is a mild hybrid so the hybrid drive is assistance only to the engine, it won't run on electric only like a "normal hybrid " Yaris, Corolla, Prius etc

My 2021 manual double cab is sitting on 8.4lt per 100kms for its 33K life so far, the average speed is only 40kph, I use 4WD when ever I'm on gravel etc usually in the lower gears as well

My previous 2017 was 9.3 for its life, same usage, so my current one is more efficient & I expect my next one (if manual) will be even better

So I don't really see the point, I guess it really depends on what it costs

My Partner got a 1500 ZR Yaris, we couldn't get a hybrid in the colour required at the time

The hybrid was $10K more & would probably do 4.5 ltrs/100, hers did 5.9 for its life, would take a while to get the extra 10K back, her replacement car is only doing 9.5

The aa did a test on them and found them efficient but not as efficiant as what the makers claimed
    Micky Duck likes this.