Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Hybrid Hilux announced

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    The aa did a test on them and found them efficient but not as efficiant as what the makers claimed
    They’re not available until 2024.
    In general almost every vehicle tests in reviews slightly worse than manufacturers claim.

I ment hybryds in general not the hilux
    Micky Duck and uk_exile like this.

Which alighns with our experiance

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Looks epic especially with using the battery for running shit off aswel
    HA HA GET IT IN REAL WATER
    ill meet you there At least one of us will get TO DRIVE home.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    HA HA GET IT IN REAL WATER
    ill meet you there At least one of us will get TO DRIVE home.
    got the ranger for that bro
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Jukes View Post
    My questions is.. river crossings - how will they go!?
    more tradies dragging trailers round towns using utes than those going proper off road.
    Growlybear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    Data is coming out that is starting to show that hybrids (and EVs), due to battery/electrics weight, more often do not attain the fuel savings they claim, do more damage to roads, and wear tyres faster with cascading impacts on carbon usage and pollution. Layered on top of manufacturing pollution/carbon costs, battery lifespan etc they are not as rosy as some people think they are. Not to mention they 'where does your juice come from' aspect.
    Of course they don't achieve their claimed fuel consumption.
    A lot of hybrids claim something ridiculous like 1 L/100km which is obviously ridiculous as there are so many factors that go into real life fuel consumption.

The most realisitc claims I've seen were actually from Land Rover.
    They had a calculator thingy that you input the type of driving you did, how many KMs in a year, and if you did any towing or not, and the recommendations it gave acutally made sense.

I know someone who does a lot of driving for work, they previously had a diesel BMW that was replaced with a hybrid one.
    To absolutley no ones suprise they ended up using more fuel as they quickly ran out of electric range every morning then had a less efficient petrol engine for the rest of the day.

EVs, PHEVs, Hybrids, Petrol and Diesel vehicles all have their place, with their own pros and cons.
    People who think everyone should by a hybrid or EV with looking into individual use cases are just as moronic as those that claim all hybrids and EVs are junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Hybrids on flat country still use 40% less fuel than equivalent petrol option in passenger cars. My exp on Australia’s plains.
    Surely it depends on what type of hybrid.
    A PHEVs will basically just be a straight petrol engine once the battery is used up and use more fuel due to the additional weight, a Prius (or equivalent with the THS) will be more efficent all the time, and a mild hybrid (like this Hilux) is somewhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffer View Post
    So I have no dog in this fight either way, just my $0.02c... my wife's work car is a hybrid, I have a V6 petrol dual cab ute. When we drove hers 2400km across the country, we were using 5.2 litres / 100km travelled. When I did the same trip a few months later in my ute (admittedly towing a trailer), I got 20 litres / 100km.
    so if my maths and memory serve, we spent $250 in fuel for her hybrid round trip vs $960 for mine. So in the short term, those savings add up.

that said, my ute is 20 years old... I doubt her hybrid will still be running in 20 years.
    The obvious is whether Toyota will allow Jeremy Clarkson and the Top Gear do the old Toyota trick like they did on the old 2.4?
    Kiwi Greg, Micky Duck and Jukes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Surely it depends on what type of hybrid.
    A PHEVs will basically just be a straight petrol engine once the battery is used up and use more fuel due to the additional weight, a Prius (or equivalent with the THS) will be more efficent all the time, and a mild hybrid (like this Hilux) is somewhere in between.
    My experience is with hybrid Camry’s.
    They are the new std in taxis for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mild hybrid will be much better around town or at speeds lower than about 70Km/h, tootling around a parking lot will be where you gain the biggest saving on fuel consumption. Open road, and urban arterial at 80+Km/H the hybrid won't provide enough power to drive the vehicle at those speeds and the power will come from the ICE side with the slight disadvantage of the alt system charging the hybrid battery until it's fully charged.

This is the main issue for me with hybrid and ev tech, I roll out of my house into 100 and 80Km/H zones, up hill, then a short coast down followed by 100Km/H State Highway and arterial then into where I'm parking. For something like an older Leaf with 100Km around about range between charges, the useage style is the worst option you can have as it's straight away from cold up to 100 then 80Km/H, then no regen from braking in start stop traffic and at full drive, then parked. Back home is the long slog straight up the hill to home at 80Km/H the whole way, no regen there so if the thing is claiming 100Km range around town we actually only achieve around 75-80Km before we are beating feet looking for a plug. PHEV if you can't be arsed plugging it in or HEV is similar - straight up to open road speed means not using the hybrid system only as it's not usually got enough go to solely power the thing at highway speeds, and the useage requirement for our area means the people around us who have had them have not achieved anywhere near manufacturer's claims and chewed through tyres and that side faster for their trouble.

We got a 2021 Outlander, the neighbours we had (since gone to Aussie) had a 2020 Outlander PHEV same version, just hybrid and same drive just one driveway closer to town. We were returning average fuel consumption of 6.5-7.1L/100Km, theirs was returning 5.5-6.5L/100Km. The extra sticker price for the PHEV over the ICE version buys about 3.5 years of petrol at current prices, and we save on tyres etc etc. Servicing costs are basically identical as it's the same engine effectively, and servicing intervals are on Km traveled not engine hours so no saving for the short amount of time we would be on hybrid system only...
    Jukes likes this.