Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Jetboat - someone spend my money

Kiwi jameses boat ???

If thats realy what you think you want , but even new they struggled too hook up and i saw the blade fly too bits on an aquatrax last year . Its normal for 6 inch pumps too eat themselves when the going gets tuff , and the harder they rev the faster they puke.
    little boats are cool if you already have a propper one !!!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Are they the same as international boating rules IE pass port to port?
    Yes, stay right in the channel your in, boats heading upstream give way to boats coming down stream, powered boats give way to all unpowered craft
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I'm with Spanners on this.
    We have a 17 foot alloy with a Nissan V8 running through a berkley unit.
    The berkley cavatates?? "Bad spelling" a bit in big white water but shit she flys, 60mph.
    Seats 5 but it takes 5 too push her aswell.....
    My mate and neighbour has a 12 foot alloy boat with 3 seats and and 225? Sport jet in it I no which I'd rather have.
    Either way you'll throw lots of $$$ at it and have lots of fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Umm , no ones told him too buy a 17 with a mixed flow pump
    outdoorlad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    Umm , no ones told him too buy a 17 with a mixed flow pump
    Chill out bro, I merely was passing on what we had
    Have successfully boated most nz rivers with it
    Was merely saying if we started again like he is I'd look at a sport jet.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    The pumps are rubbish spanners . The motors are great , but they lack the durability and life span that the bigger auto engines have.
    Subjectively...the pumps arnt all tarred with the he same brush.
    Yes - there are some junk.. However 6" 10 vane stainless stators don't wear At all, and the ally bronze ones are very resilient.

Not uncommon to see 400+ hrs on the NAs with ECU data showing 50% rpm use above 5000rpm.
    supercharged will do the same with the required interval maintainance.
    I know of as many failures from them being used infront of Scott 612s that have fallen apart, to actual witnessed engine component failures.
    I do ALOT of work with them hence a bias obviously.

It makes little sense to me to put 200, 300?kg of engine and pump into a 12-13 ft boat. As said prior by someone, all adds to draft ultimately.
    Majority of car engines underperform comparatively, are heavy and less fuel efficient. Why not evolve into the 2000s a bit?

Has to be others that agree with me as there are a bunch of ski engine specifics in production and getting developed - nozzles, intakes, reverse buckets, sand traps, complete jetunits..
    Gerbs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Was merely saying if we started again like he is I'd look at a sport jet.

As much as I hate what sportjet does with their intakes and exhausts, there are a couple of companies overseas doing some cool, stuff with them in regards to the pumps.
    I believe the new impellers are designed in Canada, made here and shipped back... Performance gains are really good. Pity they are backwards and can't be grafted into other stuff.
    Stainless stator inserts are the dogs bollox so im told.
    bluebaiter222 likes this.

Its not uncommon for well maintained marine engines too clock over 4000 hrs spanners . Its also not uncommon too find perfectly good carburated engines fitted brand new into jet boats , and the people putting them in there aint as dumb as you might think
    mikee likes this.

Its not uncommon for well maintained marine engines too clock over 4000 hrs spanners .
    You mean 200,000hrs... It's my job...
    Show me the man with 400 trouble free hrs on his dunny door or cabbage cutter engine in a boat and I'll buy him a beer.
    Show me the man with 4000 on it, and I'll buy his boat

You make toilets ?

Its also not uncommon too find perfectly good carburated engines fitted brand new into jet boats , and the people putting them in there aint as dumb as you might think
    Never said they were dumb, just in now day and age there is room to progress to different options especially technically based in a certain class; that being bigger than a traditional wee boat and smaller than a 'real' sized boat.

If you want to put a $500 scrap yard engine in your boat with a 1970s pump and fit it out on the same theme, then Whatever floats your boat literally, but at least open your eyes and experience other options before rubbishing them.
    Not everyone is stuck in the 90s

Scottrods , R93 , and outdoorlad (tony?) are very wise people and speak from experience spanners (that you don't seem too have alot off ).
    Stay far away from the jetski rubbish if you want a decent reliable boat.
    The perfect first boat is about 3.6 -4 mtr , commodore 3.8 , and a 2 stage pump . Well set up it will pack any load you can fit in it and get close too 50 mph light. Motors are cheap as hell and idiot proof too and the pump will eat jetskis hole . (im running an LS1 on a 2 stage and getting 60mph @4800 if you wana go faster later on ).
    Expect too pay 12 - 15 k for a good one and get someone from your local nzjba or your local jb shop too look first.

Thanks for that Mohawk just what I'm after. Can you give me an accurate estimate on costs or where the savings can be made. Eg 3.6-4m Ali hull, engine and jet unit, trailer, seats wheel etc.

I see you're in Hamilton, I'm up that way for the next couple weeks if you no of any where I can go to see some boats

I'm thinking best bet is to buy a 2nd hand turnkey our budget is 15-20k and I see a few on trademe for that. Seems to be a few long boats like 4.5m plus and don't think we are interested in then as no doubt wouldn't get up a lot of tighter place. 4m hull would be Macx I reckon.
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I'm thinking best bet is to buy a 2nd hand turnkey our budget is 15-20k and I see a few on trademe for that. Seems to be a few long boats like 4.5m plus and don't think we are interested in then as no doubt wouldn't get up a lot of tighter place. 4m hull would be Macx I reckon.
    A little over budget but you wouldn't regret it.
    These boats do everything very well
    https://touch.trademe.co.nz/motors/l...view/823731465

Yeah mate seen that one and was interested, looking closely at another similar on there, slightly smaller

Yeah that impala is also a good all round river hull
    Those 132s are both cheap but not enough seats for your needs.
    If anything in Hawkes Bay catches your eye let me no I'll go have a gander....the jet boating community is rather small so most boats are known.