Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Kenda tires any good?

Am sure Brad @madmaori recommended a hankook RF10 AT tire a while back 10ply ?
    I sure this is the tire my mate users and he drives hard and got 70thou kms out of them for about $360 a corner.

I know couple people running BFG'S and getting 50 thou from them on hilux's
    Wife got less then 30thou out a a set off BFG'S on a the school bus hiace van. Even wear. School bus records aggressive driving and speeds over 90 kmph. For $2000 what a waste off money but she needs a A/t on the mud roads so they put them on again.

My BFGs KM3s currently have nearly 80k on them. Sadly one Left front has worn unevenly to the point it needs replacement ( I am a bit slack with tyre rotations and wheel alignment) however the other 3 all have 10mm + tread remaining.

Even buying only 2 I feel an arse puckering moment coming let alone 4 at once!! To top it off the Colorado needs tyres too before end of year

25k into my Hankook dyna pro AT2 and really rate them, excellent traction wet or dry and still get my ute up some pretty rowdy tracks. Had change out of 1k for a set of 265 70 16s

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Am sure Brad @madmaori recommended a hankook RF10 AT tire a while back 10ply ?
    I sure this is the tire my mate users and he drives hard and got 70thou kms out of them for about $360 a corner.

I know couple people running BFG'S and getting 50 thou from them on hilux's
    Wife got less then 30thou out a a set off BFG'S on a the school bus hiace van. Even wear. School bus records aggressive driving and speeds over 90 kmph. For $2000 what a waste off money but she needs a A/t on the mud roads so they put them on again.
    Yes I would have recommended that tyre , the new pattern (RF11) I don't really rate at all as when they first came out they were chipping extremely bad and delivering really poor mileage compared to the old pattern (RF10)

I don't consider the BFG to be the tyre that they once were , really inconsistent mileages out of them.....Cooper is the one that I have found to be kicking ass on a cost per k'm basis
    XR500 likes this.
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

Quote Originally Posted by madmaori View Post
    Yes I would have recommended that tyre , the new pattern (RF11) I don't really rate at all as when they first came out they were chipping extremely bad and delivering really poor mileage compared to the old pattern (RF10)

I don't consider the BFG to be the tyre that they once were , really inconsistent mileages out of them.....Cooper is the one that I have found to be kicking ass on a cost per k'm basis
    Which may be why I have all three Nissan Patrols wearing them...and cant quite remember how far back it was when I had them fitted. 5 years at least.
    But I certainly know where I'll be coming for a new set
    madmaori likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Look at Falken Wildpeaks or the newer Maxxis Razr at881. Both get fantastic reviews. I think I’ll go from running mud tyres back to the Maxxis AT on my Landcruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ive got Maxxis Razr AT on my Prado and been super pleased with them for both on road and off road. My inlaws run Razr MT's on their farm land cruisers in Taranaki and they are sold on them
    JoshC likes this.

What do you guys recommend for a ranger mostly on road with the od farm track and gravel roads in pureora,have 265/50/20 on mag Name:  image.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  1.29 MBrims at the moment ,came fitted but looking to replace the rubber next warrant I reakon,also have the stock ones at 265/65/r17 and looking to refit them at the start of next duck season as that’s when crossing paddocks and launching tinny from dodgy farm boat ramp.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  1.15 MB
    These are what’s on there now,getting sensors swapped into them tomorrow.

This is going to be a bit of an unpopular comment, but the two tyres I've had really good runs out of are the RF10 10-ply light truck version (don't seem to be that easy to get now but rather good at the time) and the bog standard factory supplied on the Ranger - Dunlop AT22. I've been getting 80,000Km out of a set of the AT22, quiet, stable, reasonably grippy on wet roads, quite well mannered on everything I do from rotten rock and ballast access roads (which can eat harder compound tyres like some of the Coopers) through to grass and clay farm tracks.

Part of that is the Ranger's fake difflock mode using the ABS mechanism to limit the wheel slip - you can be spinning on the spot in 2high, still spinning in 4high, then 4low and just drive away with a grrrrrrr from every corner as the ABS system fires and limits the slip. Very handy that!

Best thing out of the whole lot is often times people replace the factory rims with customs and end up selling off the factory rims and tyres basically brand new for virtually nothing. Already fitted and balanced haha... Probably the only downside with the AT22's is they aren't the best option in serious useage situations, def. don't replace a decent set of muddies if that's what you need.
    Carbine and m101a1 like this.