Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Kitset Boats

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Photos!
    yes photos!

I'm still hoping to to build my own too................ at some stage. Was hoping this year but with the smurf shitting itself as well as the heat pump in the house it has moved to the back burner for a time.

It's nice to live through other people's achievements.

Only thing I would say about the boat in your original link is that it doesnt seem to have much of a "V" to it, looks like more a lake/river boat than something that will handle any amount of chop. I am looking at maybe doing something similar, if I can find someone that can weld alloy in lieu of beers, we have an old Plylight fisherman and its a planing hull (doesnt have much of a V) it has plenty of poke with a 85hp on it but that power is uesless in a decent chop/swell, will keep it as it has sentimental value (bought of the old man, I leant to ski behind it, caught my first fish from it etc back when I was a wee nipper) but ideally we want something thats a bit more comfortable at sea.
    Tommy likes this.

Yea everything is a trade off...more vee = less stability and more power required.
    End of the day its a 12 foot boat it isnt going to cut threw much if any swell.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Blaser likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    +1

Our primary rowing coach boat (no fancy smancy rich mans sport in Oamaru) was a large wide aluminium dinghy, not sure of the length but basically an old style wide riveted alloy rowboat with a wide beam, but with a 15hp motor and due to its use as a coach boat it had been set up with forward steering. It looked silly because it was such a small boat to be set up that way but it was extremely capable.

With the 8hp on the same thing and two people it used to be good sport to see if we could leave them behind when in the 8.
    Pft! Our rowing coach got to ride a bike alongside us on the river. The opposition did have a 12' Parkercraft set up like yours, but they were useless and couldn't out pace a tadpole. The Parkercraft did go very well though.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

My boat, which I referred to earlier.Name:  F1000011.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  744.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    My boat, which I referred to earlier.Attachment 44566
    Looks like a bit of me that one....spent an hour welding up cracks in the 10foot frypan before work this mornin so I can get out.
    mikee and Tommy like this.

It's solid as; has self draining forward anchor well; high self draining outboard well to suit long shaft outboard, stable, economical and will take a much larger outboard if that's what you want. Built in buoyancy under the seats as well and a cuddy shelf under the quarterdeck where I installed my R/T , sounder and switches. 1200gph bilge pump in back. Sectioned wooden floors which can be easily lifted at sea, where I can store nets and other gear, fish, etc. I had the high our rollock holders built that way purposely because the gunwales are nearly 6 inches wide n have inbuilt angled rod holders-- and also so I can row the boat with very long oars while standing up, either forwards or backwards while setting nets or longlines and the oars don't rub on the outer edges of the gunwales. Kim Bertelson was making basic work dorys and the dodger, bollards, hatch, outboard well, etc are all add-ons which I requested. In essence, you can custom build from a basic work dory. From what I can gather from his new website, the new small cats are even better. He claims 18 knots with ease with 30hp and 4 adult males on board, and unsinkable. I have no idea of current prices and options though. I do know he can professionally design anything you want and build it to any stage.
    Barefoot likes this.

It's solid as; has self draining forward anchor well; high self draining outboard well to suit long shaft outboard, stable, economical and will take a much larger outboard if that's what you want. Built in buoyancy under the seats as well and a cuddy shelf under the quarterdeck where I installed my R/T , sounder and switches. 1200gph bilge pump in back. Sectioned wooden floors which can be easily lifted at sea, where I can store nets and other gear, fish, etc. I had the high our rollock holders built that way purposely because the gunwales are nearly 6 inches wide n have inbuilt angled rod holders-- and also so I can row the boat with very long oars while standing up, either forwards or backwards while setting nets or longlines and the oars don't rub on the outer edges of the gunwales. Kim Bertelson was making basic work dorys and the dodger, bollards, hatch, outboard well, etc are all add-ons which I requested. In essence, you can custom build from a basic work dory. From what I can gather from his new website, the new small cats are even better. He claims 18 knots with ease with 30hp and 4 adult males on board, and unsinkable. I have no idea of current prices and options though. I do know he can professionally design anything you want and build it to any stage.
    I am not sold on cats for my requirements but I like the look of your boat,sort of thing I am after but there is no mention of kits on his site or even mono hulls?

He can do anything you want. best to talk to him directly. The other way is to find a local alloy boat builder and get one built to your spec and than do as I did doing all the fitting up , engine mounting etc yourself. I hav'nt spoken to Kim for a couple of years, but he was very approachable at all times I did speak with him.

Yea , I want to build a kit , not buy a finished boat and fit a motor or I might as well buy a finished boat and fit a motor.

I'd bet he still has the patterns there, and he has sophisticated cutting gear, so I reckon he could make a kit. I would think you would also need to get the design of the assembly jig as well before you could clamp or weld anything. You would need to build your own jig I guess.

I'd bet he still has the patterns there, and he has sophisticated cutting gear, so I reckon he could make a kit. I would think you would also need to get the design of the assembly jig as well before you could clamp or weld anything. You would need to build your own jig I guess.
    If he cant be fucked putting it on his website for sale then he obviously does not want to sell them and I sure as hell cant be fucked chasing him up for a kit and a kit price and freight etc etc etc

I also absolutely refuse to buy anything if your add annoys me on the radio/tv/inteweb.

If he cant be fucked putting it on his website for sale then he obviously does not want to sell them and I sure as hell cant be fucked chasing him up for a kit and a kit price and freight etc etc etc
    Your call VC. No worries.

Looks like a bit of me that one....spent an hour welding up cracks in the 10foot frypan before work this mornin so I can get out.
    Actually its a Parkercraft same thing