Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Kitset Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    You want a 70 year old man with one leg to ride 20k/hr along the banks of the Kakanui river? This is Oamaru, not some picturesque Oxford rowing scene. We rowed old second hand boats (ok, third ), towed them with an old HQ Holden and Falcon we drank in in the weekends and waded through sticky black sewage mud to use them
    Our best boat was from the 50's and was crazy heavy for a light weight team in the first year at high school. We did have to contend with the rampant weed grabbing the blades and numerous rotting cats, dogs and sheep floating around. I have done a few swims in your harbour though.

Grim, veitnamcam and 308 like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I dont doubt Woody is a good bugger.
    BUT MOST OF ALL IF YOU SELL KITS PUT THE FUCKEN PRICE ON YOUR WEBSITE!

Things that fuck me off.

Websites that tell me/show me nothing and that is pretty much every bloody boat builder in the country.
    Show me a product with no price!!!!

Clearly you do not want my money if you cannot even decide how much of it you want.
    totally agree

I baught a bare hull and am fitting a hardtop to it (570 senator)
    Its going well but I have serious doubts that I would ever put myself in this suituation again its a big job to do, let alone a hull

satisfaction yes but Its seriously taxing on time

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Its going well but I have serious doubts that I would ever put myself in this suituation again its a big job to do, let alone a hull

pics please !!
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

pics please !!
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    pics please !!
    +1

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  956.0 KB
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and Beaker like this.

That looks well done!!

Name:  boat.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  117.2 KB

thats the one i ment
    the tape is just patterning for the bow rail
    Beaker and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

grinding windows and bow rail and it will be ready for the motor to bolt on
    then just the fininshing carpet, tuna tubes and live bait tank
    then refit of electronics

VC just remember your kids aren't going to get any smaller.
    I'm currently mulling over moving into a slightly bigger boat to pre-empt this problem, after having 4 people in the smartwave this summer
    I like small boats for similar reasons to you, and if you can handle it by yourself its easier to pop out for a few hours when you feel like it.
    I'm not going to suggest a particular ali kitset as I don't weld but have built a few ply ones over the years.

Heading into a sea is unpleasant but a following sea can kill you quick and I'm sure that little thing Nelson calls a harbour cuts up nicely with a bit of wind against the tide.
    To me things that keep you out of trouble long term are:-
    Boats designed around long shaft motors, meaning you have a higher back panel, or having an outboard well.
    High sides.
    Sealed buoyancy tanks so you can't stuff things into them and negate their purpose.
    I think there is a sweet spot around 4m when you have to balance out weight and versatility.

@Woody that boat of yours looks almost exactly what I'm thinking of changing to, just maybe with a side console instead of forward control.
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    VC just remember your kids aren't going to get any smaller.
    I'm currently mulling over moving into a slightly bigger boat to pre-empt this problem, after having 4 people in the smartwave this summer
    I like small boats for similar reasons to you, and if you can handle it by yourself its easier to pop out for a few hours when you feel like it.
    I'm not going to suggest a particular ali kitset as I don't weld but have built a few ply ones over the years.

Heading into a sea is unpleasant but a following sea can kill you quick and I'm sure that little thing Nelson calls a harbour cuts up nicely with a bit of wind against the tide.
    To me things that keep you out of trouble long term are:-
    Boats designed around long shaft motors, meaning you have a higher back panel, or having an outboard well.
    High sides.
    Sealed buoyancy tanks so you can't stuff things into them and negate their purpose.
    I think there is a sweet spot around 4m when you have to balance out weight and versatility.

@Woody that boat of yours looks almost exactly what I'm thinking of changing to, just maybe with a side console instead of forward control.
    Yeop you summed it up nicely, I had a hard on for a smartwave for a while.....but all the ones I saw come up for sale were low transom or seriously fucked around with and I dont like that........I was pretty close to ticking one up last year... two ladys own one each and fish near where I launch.
    Now I dont disrespect them for the boats they own or where they fish but I am out far further than them most often and think to myself "fark If I had a boat like that.." etcetc.

Really I need two boats....12-14 ft tiller steer dingy with 15-30 hp compleatly open with no screens/cleats or other snags for winter and netting for flounder.
    And another 4.5-5.5m cuddy cabin with a 40-70hp for summer snapper fishing ,scolloping,diving,towing a biscuit or knee board etc and missions up the lakes or to durvil.

Is a bloody conundrum for sure.
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

Really I need two boats....12-14 ft tiller steer dingy with 15-30 hp compleatly open with no screens/cleats or other snags for winter and netting for flounder.
    And another 4.5-5.5m cuddy cabin with a 40-70hp for summer snapper fishing ,scolloping,diving,towing a biscuit or knee board etc and missions up the lakes or to durvil.

Is a bloody conundrum for sure.
    How bout this 13ft Aluminium Dinghy | Trade Me and convince you dada to loan you his when you need a bigger boat

or this
    NEW ENFORCER 370 ALUMINUM BOAT | Trade Me
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    How bout this 13ft Aluminium Dinghy | Trade Me and convince you dada to loan you his when you need a bigger boat

or this
    NEW ENFORCER 370 ALUMINUM BOAT | Trade Me
    Yea frypan has lost the plot, the old one with 3 seats had no room and sfa reserve boyancey...the new one with 2 fucken humoungus seats has no room and sfa more rsb.
    \
    Who would a thought buying a cheap boat was so bloody difficult.

I am considering one of these. The price seems right for an alloy 4.4m pontoon with a cuddy and on a trailer. I have a 60hp yamaha that would go allright on one too.....

FREWZA F14 Fisher Package | Trade Me