Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Modern Hilux, what to look for

Any one have an opinion about the new mitsi utes, i have been looking at these as the price is better than the others

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    Any one have an opinion about the new mitsi utes, i have been looking at these as the price is better than the others
    If you're buying it might be cheap, however if your leasing (think tax) mitsi May not be so cost effective.

Last year I leased 60 Utes for a project. The guys wanted the Ford or bt50's - they ended up with hiluxs (WAY cheaper when leasing) The bt50 guys were impressed - they liked the sr5's better.

Myself, the hilux is third place - I can't get comfortable driving it. My pick the the Ford......
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Interesting that no one has offered up praise yet for the VW?
    Anyone driving the V6 version?

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Has anyone heard any horror stories about Isuzu?
    The guys that have the ones I see can't say a bad word about them
    Holden had a bad run with burning oil around 2015 model but they where fitting new engines

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Hell the 2016 Colorado is way way nicer to drive on the road than the 2017 Hilux.
    Interesting you are worried so much about the handling on the road, is it a car you are after or a 4x4. I wouldn't be worrying so much about the on road performance as I would the off road, that's if you are going to use it off road. The Colorado might handle well on the road but can it stand up the the harsh treatment of off roading when you need it most out hunting? Seems you started off going for a Hilux and this Colorado has changed your mind since taking it for a drive down the road and the fact it has a few extra gadgets for the Mrs to play with. I would say think good and hard again about what you want this truck for before buying or you could just be covering old ground with another dud truck and wishing you had of bought the ultimate Hilux (which just happens to be the last of the Jap built ones (2001 - 2004 model) If you get a low KM's one and it's in good condition you won't go wrong. I think most of the new trucks are all pretty much the same no matter what brand or make you get (made in Thailand) or something similar. I have heard bad things about all the latest brands of 4x4's and once again it simply comes down to making things cheaper but unfortunately also nastier. Any way happy shopping and I do hope you get a good truck this time around.
    bigbear likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Interesting you are worried so much about the handling on the road, is it a car you are after or a 4x4. I wouldn't be worrying so much about the on road performance as I would the off road, that's if you are going to use it off road. The Colorado might handle well on the road but can it stand up the the harsh treatment of off roading when you need it most out hunting? Seems you started off going for a Hilux and this Colorado has changed your mind since taking it for a drive down the road and the fact it has a few extra gadgets for the Mrs to play with. I would say think good and hard again about what you want this truck for before buying or you could just be covering old ground with another dud truck and wishing you had of bought the ultimate Hilux (which just happens to be the last of the Jap built ones (2001 - 2004 model) If you get a low KM's one and it's in good condition you won't go wrong. I think most of the new trucks are all pretty much the same no matter what brand or make you get (made in Thailand) or something similar. I have heard bad things about all the latest brands of 4x4's and once again it simply comes down to making things cheaper but unfortunately also nastier. Any way happy shopping and I do hope you get a good truck this time around.
    Fact of the matter is all it really has to pull the boat and be a dog kennel when we are traveling. Apart from getting across a farmers paddock to the DOC won't see much off-road work if any.

I have another vehicle for that which is better suited by a long shot, something that is a good 4X4 and I don't have to worry about scratching, bashing or getting wrecked too much. I don't drive it apart from towing the boat. To be frank we are only planning on keeping the new one till the factory warranty expires then trade up again.

If the best hilux were only made till 2004 then we are not missing anything telling them to shove it, its my money and they are so fucking smug that i should be privileged that they will allow me to buy a truck of them really winds me up.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Fact of the matter is all it really has to pull the boat and be a dog kennel when we are traveling. Apart from getting across a farmers paddock to the DOC won't see much off-road work if any.

I have another vehicle for that which is better suited by a long shot, something that is a good 4X4 and I don't have to worry about scratching, bashing or getting wrecked too much. I don't drive it apart from towing the boat. To be frank we are only planning on keeping the new one till the factory warranty expires then trade up again.

If the best hilux were only made till 2004 then we are not missing anything telling them to shove it, its my money and they are so fucking smug that i should be privileged that they will allow me to buy a truck of them really winds me up.
    The different prices for different people pisses me off....the price should be the price.
    outdoorlad, Mathias and SGR like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The different prices for different people pisses me off....the price should be the price.
    And that is it in a nutshell.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Ok if it's just for towing the boat then any of the late model 4x4's will handle that piece of piss, and all the late model 4x4's drive as good as a car on the road so they are all suited to your needs. Happy buying and it's a shame you got treated badly when trying to buy your Hilux. Good luck with your purchase.
    mikee likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

I've got a minta Triton I could swap ya.........I've spent so much on it lately, it should give you years of trouble free running. Same feelings about it, as you about your's. I've lost faith in it.Going to swap it for a shopping basket for wife, and keep the ol' reliable Hilux to get a D-Max eventually. Dont know if they're any better than the others, but its the only model that I've heard nothing bad about, and the people I know who've got them, rave about them
    mikee likes this.

So the Colorado is at the top of the list now? Just looking online and they have one going cheap in chch, 43K for the ltz 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Looking at the specs they are a different vehicle. The Holden is running a 2.8L and squeezing out 147kW while the Isuzu are running a 3.0L with a mild 130kW.
    With a tune u can get a lot more then that from the holden. Old days same ute now very very different.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Interesting that no one has offered up praise yet for the VW?
    Anyone driving the V6 version?
    I've one problem with my VW in the 4 yrs I've had it now, so big tick from me. Most comfortable of the utes but there are better ones for towing. Dealer has been trying to convince me to try the V6 but at the price it's not even worth looking at. Had to laugh at my mate this weekend, he parked his new-to-him 2015 low km Ranger at my place while we went hunting for the weekend. Got back and it wouldn't start . . .
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

The D-max is ok, just never test drive another late model ute before you buy one and you won't be disappointed by the rubbish steering and gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    The D-max is ok, just never test drive another late model ute before you buy one and you won't be disappointed by the rubbish steering and gearbox
    The slow ratio of the steering in the Colorado (2015) is the only thing I dont like about driving it,handles good,corners ,goes and stops like all hell,much better ride quality than the same year lux but that truck steering ratio takes some getting used to....may have been changed on the newer ones?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.