Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: need some suggestions of choosing between Ford Everest & Land Cruiser

Just price, and ongoing costs mate. I am not going to spend 100k+ dollars for now to own a vehicle without a fixed address as you guys have.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Oh, you have both I like Ranger, double cap will be my choice, just it is not fit my situation right now. How was the Ranger maintained cost every year?
    Servicing every 15K's, roughly $600 to $650 inc oils etc at dealer for the 3.2L. Not sure about the newest 3.0L V6 when that comes out?
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Evidently the new Everest has some gearbox issues, my mate just made the same decision and went Toyota?
    Yeah, although I hear the same with the new Toyota's so no idea which is the better option. It's a little hard to note if there is a useage component contributing to the transmission issues or some other contributing factors as a lot fo the newer diesel light commercials and large SUV's are reporting issues with driveline and running gear of some form or another!
    Maca49 likes this.

The ranger is on par with most vehicles serviced through the dealership around 5-600 each service.
    The Land cruiser was a series 100 and was bullet proof and nice to drive.
    The Everest was an awesome vehicle and would still have it if my partner could handle it around town but with me using it for hunting eyc it was getting knocked around so sold it to buy a ranger and a Ford escape now both are happy.
    Love the ranger.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    No.3 and Black Rabbit like this.

So what Landcruiser are you considering? Pado, 80, 70, 200 series? etc
    paremata likes this.

Its worth reading this before you look at a d max https://www.autocar.co.nz/isuzu-d-ma...-in-australia/
    Pack out heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    So what Landcruiser are you considering? Pado, 80, 70, 200 series? etc
    If possible...I like to have LC 80s and 100 series, 24v. Before I moved to CHCH, there was a import 1996 LC in my friend shop under cleaning and chassis work, 28k that `s they told me. I really really gave lot of thoughts but thinking a counting days left in AKl, and other things, I gave up.
    personally, I do `t really enjoy the new look of 200 series. But considering maybe this will use for carrying guests to off beaten tracks so....but LC holds great value then if someday I got place allow me to own more than one vehicle I can sell it. It like when we talk about motorcycles that if you want on road comfortable, off road doable, cost effective, easy to maintenance, low fuel consumption, then buy a Transformers.
    Last edited by Black Rabbit; 10-10-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Just be careful with the Rangers - esp when out of warranty. Mate is boss of a big diesel workshop in chch and he said they are doing quite alot of gearboxes at quite low ks - like 100k or so. He went to pick up a replacement box from Ford agency here and the guy looks at him and says "how many?". He had nine on the shelf.

Mate also said a number of other problems showing with the highly stressed little Ford turbo diesel motors. Not built to last like old school diesels. From their workshop experience he does not recommend them now at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Just be careful with the Rangers - esp when out of warranty. Mate is boss of a big diesel workshop in chch and he said they are doing quite alot of gearboxes at quite low ks - like 100k or so. He went to pick up a replacement box from Ford agency here and the guy looks at him and says "how many?". He had nine on the shelf.

Mate also said a number of other problems showing with the highly stressed little Ford turbo diesel motors. Not built to last like old school diesels. From their workshop experience he does not recommend them now at all.
    I am not going to have a Ute for now, I like it but thank you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Seems to me like you’ve already answered your question. If you can afford it get a land cruiser.
    No,mate I just heard, never owned any of these SUV that `s why I asked to you pros as owner. I knew nothing about them, have some Prado experience but not quiet enjoy it. Cost is matter, but I think maybe I can spend little more on thing I really like and need it this time.

I would also be careful re which Toyota models you consider buying.

Toyota Australia is subject to a 2 billion dollar class action lawsuit brought by 250,000 owners because of ongoing issues with several models - the Toyota Hilux, Fortuner and Prado vehicles with a 1GD-FTV or 2GD-FTV diesel engine, acquired between 1 October 2015 and 23 April 2020 in Aus. Australian Federal Court just found against Toyota in May 2022, so they have to pay out. Principal problem was the DPFs - diesel particulate filters causing various high maintenance issues, but there were other problems. Those models and motors will be in NZ.

Unfortunately alot of recent toyotas lack the sturdiness and durability of the old 70 and 80 series - which is why 30 year old 80s may go for $35k these days. The 4wd with good maintenance rep in recent years in Aus has been the Isuzu D-Max. This ute also comes out in a more delux full body cabin variant - the Mu-X. If buying now I'd take one of those. Isuzu also however have had some issues over there - cracks in body panels esp in engine bay due to longterm use on very corrugated roads, and onset of turbo whistle after 50k or so in some. Not at class action level.

No such thing as the perfect truck - whatever crap the tv feeds us. Ford and Toyota do make some good stuff, but some models should be viewed very very carefully.

https://www.toyotaclassaction.com.au/

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world...l-filters.html
    veitnamcam, XR500 and No.3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post

This in manual or auto? I know the manuals have an issue with loading in 6th - don't tow in 6th rah rah. But I know of a lot of Toyota boxes dying early too so who knows, I think your comment about all of them having issues has a lot of merit. I know of several Toyota's with failed oor drain plugs and the doors filled up with rain water which caused multiple weird electrical/electronic gremlins (drivers door apparently has something in the window switchblock?).
    mudgripz likes this.

I would go land cruiser Prado anyday over the Everest
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    Its worth reading this before you look at a d max https://www.autocar.co.nz/isuzu-d-ma...-in-australia/
    i've got the 2022 model, different beast altogether

Had a mate with the 2 door 200 series, that began popping out of first gear on the overrun after about 20,000kms. Dealer said "its the way you drive". He retorted "This is my 4th LC, the last was the identical 2 door that I put 250,000km on, a lot of the time towing a horsefloat and it never once jumped out of any gear. This gearbox is faulty".

Still took him forever to have them resolve the issue.
    mudgripz likes this.