Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: need some suggestions of choosing between Ford Everest & Land Cruiser

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Banned
    If you are shifting to the South Island esp. Canterbury there are not that many hunting areas on public land that have 4x4 access. Following on from the 4x4 motorbike idea which I like, some of the off road capable E bikes might be worth a look. Many areas have 'bike access' but not 4x4 across private land to public hunting areas and an E Bike qualifies for this.
    I would buy a 3litre Hi Ace van and an E bike. My guess is that you would end up shooting game pretty close to where you stop the bike because they are quiet. You can drive to the access point, sleep in the van and be on the bike before first light away hunting or fishing.
    Trout, jackson21 and Black Rabbit like this.

Buy a 4.2TDI Patrol,just keeps going after 572000ks,had it 18yrs now.Just purrs along,tryed to give it a cutnpolish few weeks ago.Looks ok from 10mtrs away.Havnt touched the motor yet and doesnt burn oil.
    Name:  20221020_200129.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  873.4 KB
    300winmag, JoshC, XR500 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    If you are shifting to the South Island esp. Canterbury there are not that many hunting areas on public land that have 4x4 access. Following on from the 4x4 motorbike idea which I like, some of the off road capable E bikes might be worth a look. Many areas have 'bike access' but not 4x4 across private land to public hunting areas and an E Bike qualifies for this.
    I would buy a 3litre Hi Ace van and an E bike. My guess is that you would end up shooting game pretty close to where you stop the bike because they are quiet. You can drive to the access point, sleep in the van and be on the bike before first light away hunting or fishing.
    Technically, I am in Canterbury, Christchurch will be exact, just can `t go back for now, was planned in late Oct but Mr. Micheal Wood forgot his promise. So, now I am working on other paths. The idea of e-bike is good, I like ktm, same travel distance as ktm250, maybe less 70km. Now, I can only have one sizable SUV, both me and business or jobs.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Buy a 4.2TDI Patrol,just keeps going after 572000ks,had it 18yrs now.Just purrs along,tryed to give it a cutnpolish few weeks ago.Looks ok from 10mtrs away.Havnt touched the motor yet and doesnt burn oil.
    Attachment 208506
    You know, I like Nissan. Just thought maybe if next year I go continue with high end adventure biz, those fellas from my country or Aussie they may only knew LC, even wish you could drive a Cadillac over there. I test drove a Defender once, it looks good, but just like the salesman said" have you had experience with old Chinese truck?, Then there is"
    Last edited by Black Rabbit; 20-10-2022 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    I thought about that before, like to have a Honda 4x4 with independent suspensions. But, I dropped this idea for now for my reasons. If really, I can have a place in SI and get settled little bit, I will have a Jeep Wrangler Tj only for fishing & hunting purpose. Hope I can have this little dream come true next year.
    I had a 5 door Wrangler 2.8 Diesel 6 speed manual, did 290 000 km on it before selling to upgrade. They are not bad wagons, built solid, I was doing the servicing on it as was pretty easy. The motor is a European that I think they use in London Black cabs I was told, so reliable. Some of the petrol ones aren't.

The problem with them though is if you do need a part for them you get ripped off by local dealership unless import from States or Aussie where they are like a Toyota, maybe not Aussie but better than here.

They are way overpriced though for what they are, have a bit of a cult following. I'd got a good deal on mine but people now pay crazy money, I'd look at something else to be honest unless you just always just wanted a Jeep go for it.

Moa is onto it with the electric bike or even one of the electric motor bikes coming out I've been thinking this would be a good idea, much quieter. Problem with quad bikes they are quite noisy and Deer tend to learn what the sound represents.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    I had a 5 door Wrangler 2.8 Diesel 6 speed manual, did 290 000 km on it before selling to upgrade. They are not bad wagons, built solid, I was doing the servicing on it as was pretty easy. The motor is a European that I think they use in London Black cabs I was told, so reliable. Some of the petrol ones aren't.

The problem with them though is if you do need a part for them you get ripped off by local dealership unless import from States or Aussie where they are like a Toyota, maybe not Aussie but better than here.

They are way overpriced though for what they are, have a bit of a cult following. I'd got a good deal on mine but people now pay crazy money, I'd look at something else to be honest unless you just always just wanted a Jeep go for it.

Moa is onto it with the electric bike or even one of the electric motor bikes coming out I've been thinking this would be a good idea, much quieter. Problem with quad bikes they are quite noisy and Deer tend to learn what the sound represents.
    For Jeep, I think I will go for a petrol one. I like wrangler, and in NZ it is cheaper, for parts yes you right but if I could have enough knowledge for Jeep, then buying from states even second handed will be a choice. For e-bike, it is an idea, they are quiet but considering where we will be, it `s quiet enough.