Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: new 70 series

I would rather something much more appealing to look at stuck under my bonnet thank you.
    tetawa, 308 and Gkp like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Guess it depends on what type are car you are talking about and how much horsepower you have?
    I cant reverse a trailer up an asphalt drive in my Silverado in L4 because it will rip the Asphalt off on a turn,but I dont need to use low on tarmac anyhow.
    Factory amarok, colorado, hilux and ranger utes - with things like 2.5ton diggers on trailers and 3500Kg boats (which are sods of things to tow due to the parachute effect combining with the weight factor). Work ok until you try and go backwards uphill and then throw a corner backing maneuver into the brew. Reverse should in theory be the same as 1st, but they aren't and I've never been able to work out why.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    My son n law has a 2.8 hilux 8 speed.Its smooth,fast and has 160kw of towing power.Makes my old patrol look vintage in technology.I want a 400hp Nissen Patrol 5.6 litre.Bugger the greenies.
    All the engine power means nada for towing - you need torque and gear ratios set up right and the other thing is engine braking. Modern utes suck for engine braking, and even with the electronic systems still gas the brakes up on long runs. The 2500Kg override braked trailers are better than the TB-class 3500Kg rated units in this regard, as the hydraulic coupling applies a little bit of braking control as the trailer leans on the towing vehicle. The electric controlled systems generally only apply once the brake lights come on when you push the brake pedal and then a proportioning sensor increases the braking effect on the trailer in keeping with the amount of deceleration it senses (i.e. how hard you've hit the brakes). To get manual control of the trailer brakes you have to hit a button usually, rather than it happening automatically and this means the heavy trailers tend to punish the towing vehicle's brakes. Some form of retarder or engine braking enhancer system would really help with this!

Don't forget the dual cab comes with 1 cup holder but 5 ashtrays. It's an uncomfortable heavy ( and on fuel) spartan truck. However they are bomb proof. The factory tune negates the v8 potential power. Have the engine remapped to wake it up and they become what they should have been from factory. Factor in another 5k for a suspension upgrade if you Want a bull bar and winch. However get em out bush they will come to their own tow a big boat or a big trailer off road and even more so.
    I have seen the previous model v6 troopies with over a million k on the clock having been serviced maybe every other year - the locals in the northern part of Ozzie don't all believe in service intervals , the old bushtaxis. Suspension shot, oil looks like grease and they still keep on going. Scariest thing in northern territory ain't a wounded Buffalo it's a bush taxi coming at u at 100kmh on a single dirt track
    Horrible trucks , but I love mine , hate filling it up though
    As for the price gouging
    They are similarly priced here in oz
    During covid a major shortage was created in 70s being build, labor was 1 issue but limited ecu being available more so , the 200 series shares ecu with 70 both having the v8. Because the 200 was getting replaced with a new model (300) Toyota stopped building 70 and pushed out all the orders they had for 200.
    In the mean time the mines keeps on ordering 70s ( nothing else takes the punishment a bloke stuck at work for 14 days before flying out dishes out)
    The mines don't care that Toyota gouges them , its more $ they can claim back from tax ( a large number of 70s goes to the middle east as well which gets paid for by oil royalties, also not caring for the price . So a shortage of vehicles and a great number of orders pushed up price. Or so I'm told by the state service manager.

I will probably drive mine till I die or the wokes force us into electrics. Dont start me on the actual environmental cost of electric cars
    Last edited by Sharki; 11-08-2023 at 07:27 AM.
    7mmwsm, Gkp and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post
    absolutely!!! but I will never sell mine!!

Im not so sure about a poxy 4 cylinder even if it does make 150 odd KW.

My dad has a great saying. 'There's no replacement for displacement'. We were (still am) always a fan of having a big engine loafing as opposed to a small one working hard.

Not even in the same class but my 1 litre shopping basket used 8.5L/100km while my current 1.5 litre shopping basket uses 7.5L/100km. Goes to prove your point I'd say

well, yeah sort of. We used to have 14litre Cummins engines in the trucks. (so, yeah 14 times bigger than your shopping trolley)

They loved diesel. It was nothing to burn hundreds of litres per day. They worked hard though. Its hard yakka dragging 45 ton uphill.

Great Jacobs brakes though. I used to love listening to them get a good crackle on coming downhill. Spent a lot of time in the passengers seat learning how to use a road ranger gearbox, cart stock and spread metal. Great fun for a young fella.

No wonder I wasn't interested in school!!
    TeRei, stumpys, Flyblown and 1 others like this.