Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: new 70 series

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Come on. With an auto its easier to steer and hold a beer at the same time.
    well I have a huge back ground in 4x4 and give me a manual gearbox every day - if you are in deep shit and you need to move just a little bit a clutch gives better control - its positive feel against the mushy feel of an auto - look at what the dedicated 4x4 guys run aint no autos
    XR500 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    well I have a huge back ground in 4x4 and give me a manual gearbox every day - if you are in deep shit and you need to move just a little bit a clutch gives better control - its positive feel against the mushy feel of an auto - look at what the dedicated 4x4 guys run aint no autos
    I'm with tahr on this!
    Whether manual or auto there are pros and cons in the mud.
    And yep in the mud most days

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I'm with tahr on this!
    Whether manual or auto there are pros and cons in the mud.
    And yep in the mud most days

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    There's not a single manual in the national 4x4 series now, simply put autos have come so far, the brain has so much to compute in milliseconds and we have so much power.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    in my old Zook.....it's Achilles heel was the lack of space for cargo. Could barely fit a lady handbag in the back.

Attachment 230644
    There, fixed it for you.
    Plus, these things tend to have a high centre of gravity, and roll at the soonest opportunity. Even on the road i found - I got one up on 2 wheels in the manuka gorge. that gave me a fright. I was just trying to keep my hard-won momentum up!

Not trying to shit-stir or anything haha but just buy a landrover. Lighter than a cruiser or patrol, easy to modify or repair, and they are very capable even in stock form. try buying a toyota with two solid axles, and coils and disks all round for under $6-7k! This is assuming we are talking about a truck built for offroad fun, not just a cargo-carrying & towing truck. hard to beat a cruiser for that, if money is no issue.
    Okay, maybe shit stirring a little.
    Last edited by Brad S; 07-08-2023 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    There, fixed it for you.
    Plus, these things tend to have a high centre of gravity, and roll at the soonest opportunity. Even on the road i found - I got one up on 2 wheels in the manuka gorge. that gave me a fright. I was just trying to keep my hard-won momentum up!

Not trying to shit-stir or anything haha but just buy a landrover. Lighter than a cruiser or patrol, easy to modify or repair, and they are very capable even in stock form. try buying a toyota with coils and disks all round for under $6-7k! This is assuming we are talking about a truck built for offroad fun, not just a cargo-carrying & towing truck. hard to beat a cruiser for that, if money is no issue.
    ummmm have you seen my landcruiser build thread ?....... no coils there
    BRADS and Brad S like this.
    #DANNYCENT

There, fixed it for you.
    Plus, these things tend to have a high centre of gravity, and roll at the soonest opportunity.
    Surf's are worse..... And anything can be rolled even big heavy V8 cruisers.....
    Brad S likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    ummmm have you seen my landcruiser build thread ?....... no coils there
    Yes, I've been following it. Very cool!
    But that's what I was saying - you can't buy a Toyota with disc's and coils all round for cheap.
    I'll stay out of it though, this is a toyota discussion haha
    dannyb likes this.

There, fixed it for you.

Not trying to shit-stir or anything haha but just buy a landrover. Lighter than a cruiser or patrol, easy to modify or repair, and they are very capable even in stock form. try buying a toyota with two solid axles, and coils and disks all round for under $6-7k! This is assuming we are talking about a truck built for offroad fun, not just a cargo-carrying & towing truck. hard to beat a cruiser for that, if money is no issue.
    When I read the words Landrover and lighter next to each other my mind thought Bic lighter. And I immediately thought this guy knows what's best for Landrovers.
    BRADS, 308, scotty and 5 others like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    When I read the words Landrover and lighter next to each other my mind thought Bic lighter. And I immediately thought this guy knows what's best for Landrovers.
    It’s just aswell they’re so easy to repair. I’ve got a mate with a 2008 defender, seems he’s always fixing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    norsk and blip like this.

I have been running auto 4x4s for almost 20 years.If you want to creep forward you put your left foot on the brake,increase the revs a bit and slowly release the brake.Gives way more control than trying to slip a clutch.Auto box is better all round for off roading/towing/driveability.

No way I would go back to a manual.I honestly looked at a autobox for my Unimog when I decided to upgrade the gearbox that was in it.The reason I didnt was because I couldnt get any reliable info on what the conversion was like.
    BRADS likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

That’s just not true mate.

Back in the day… then maybe, but these days a modern auto is superior to a manual in almost every way.

The control the modern automatic gearbox gives the driver in the really serious stuff is significantly better and safer than a manual gearbox. In a manual, if you’re hung up on a really steep incline with limited traction on one or more wheels with the suspension articulating opposite ways front to rear, and a shed load of weight, if you come to a dead stop like it or not, and have to put the clutch in and use the brakes, you’ve got problems. Gravity is a bitch. A proper 4WD automatic gearbox largely overcomes that kind of scenario and removes the need to keep on going regardless.

The only downside to an automatic gearbox is how complex they are technically, with the consequent risk of component failure of some kind. If an auto gearbox fails in the middle of nowhere, you are going nowhere (looking at you, Ford & Land Rover). A manual gearbox is more robust in that sense.

Yes this is one of those issues that really comes down to user preference, but having done all the hardest stuff you can do in Africa and Australia, lots in N America and regularly here in the horrible papa hill country of the CNI, if I was to go and do it all again then I would select an automatic gearbox without question.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.
    Just...say...the...word

While the leafs in the back on the old ones do suck they still have some of the best running gear about. The cv and axles are stronger than the safari equivalent, but the diff heads arnt as strong so to make them absolutely bomb proof for the big horsepower we use crome molly cruiser cv and axles with a safari diff head.
    The landcruiser brakes while requiring a fair bit of maintenance are still up there with the latest offerings from wilwood.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 07-08-2023 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    That’s just not true mate.

Back in the day… then maybe, but these days a modern auto is superior to a manual in almost every way.

The control the modern automatic gearbox gives the driver in the really serious stuff is significantly better and safer than a manual gearbox. In a manual, if you’re hung up on a really steep incline with limited traction on one or more wheels with the suspension articulating opposite ways front to rear, and a shed load of weight, if you come to a dead stop like it or not, and have to put the clutch in and use the brakes, you’ve got problems. Gravity is a bitch. A proper 4WD automatic gearbox largely overcomes that kind of scenario and removes the need to keep on going regardless.

The only downside to an automatic gearbox is how complex they are technically, with the consequent risk of component failure of some kind. If an auto gearbox fails in the middle of nowhere, you are going nowhere (looking at you, Ford & Land Rover). A manual gearbox is more robust in that sense.

Yes this is one of those issues that really comes down to user preference, but having done all the hardest stuff you can do in Africa and Australia, lots in N America and regularly here in the horrible papa hill country of the CNI, if I was to go and do it all again then I would select an automatic gearbox without question.
    Okay but I would still love a landcruiser
    Tahr and norsk like this.

now - we all want a land cruiser -come on admit it- the ultimate NZ hunting wagon - but auto - the only reason I can think of to get an auto and spoil a good 4x4 is if you want to crawl along behind ones beloved daisys in the race leading up to the cow shed - I will allow that -other than that you are a Dauklander stuck in traffic all day and ya never ever stick it in 4x4
    F off ,iv had 4 patrols over the last 35yrs.Not one auto gear box has failed on me.Crawls buitifully over the rocks,thru the mud and deep rivers.They have never failed me.
    RUMPY likes this.

I have been within a whisker on getting this recently but the clean fuel tax killed it. Pushed it outside what I was prepared to pay to trade up. https://www.toyota.co.nz/new-car/hil...DTG-NM1-040-25[/QUOTE]

How’s that pricing compare to a equivalent specked v6 Ranger in NZ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk