Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New tyres

For my 2 cents worth... I now swear by the old style Maxxis Bighorn I gor 80k road use on them and never had traction problems on or off road!

Name:  bighorn tyre.jpg
Views: 4559
Size:  44.5 KB

Are they in nz? MAy be after some 31s as stand in tyres shortly

Check out adenstyres.co.nz. They have some good prices with free delivery.

When I was working for Landcorp in Te Anau we always ran the Kumho KL71 MT tyres. They were good for about 10 k's then were shit in the mud, and didn't have the best sideways tractions (I remember this all very vividly!) Once they were worn down to far there would be puncture after puncture until replaced. Garage sure liked us!!

I've got a set of Maxxis Buckshots on the Hilux just the 31x10.5x15 ones. Cost me $220 fitted 4 years ago. I've now done 65k's on them and are still warantable, but not very user friendly when it comes to nasty stuff.
    But fitted some more to a 3l hilux couple of months ago for $260 plus fitting, these are 16inch (whatever is equivalent to standard 2001 hilux tyres).
    Something of note was the new ones have way less tread than older ones had. Apparently they will wear better, obviously harder compound.

I was wondering about the Cooper's as a decent tyre, but after talking to three guys around here that have had them I won't be going near them. Puncturing like no tomorrow
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

I've got bfg ats on at the moment that will be due for replacement shortly. (2 more so than the other 2) will be following this thread with interest. interesting reading the different experiences. liked the stiff side walls on the bfgs. they did well enough but not so well that I have a blind loyalty to them. they are a bit tired now and pretty slashed up from climbing around on sharp rock.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Puku, what model of coopers are you talking about here. punctures are no good I travel over a fair bit of rocky ground.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Im on my third set of BFG and havent had a single puncture yet. I have sliced two sidewalls on a knife like rock hidden in grass that im pretty sure no tire would survive.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Vietnamcan, , are your bfg's At's as that is what I have at the moment, have had one puncture and on a couple the side walls are fairly sliced.thought the coopers may be better, but maybe not .
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I believe they were STT tyres but am not certain. Looking at the thread pattern I thought they would be real good on the gravel around these parts. But after hearing about them I changed my mind

AB Precision

Re: New tyres

When I had 4wds I had Coopers an liked them they get good ks an traction. But it's like everything everyone has there ideas. I hated bfgs mt I cut them to bits an got so many punches drove me nuts 1st set wouldn't have done 15ks next I sold after 3ks an went back to Coopers.

sent from my Samsung s3 using tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Vietnamcan, , are your bfg's At's as that is what I have at the moment, have had one puncture and on a couple the side walls are fairly sliced.thought the coopers may be better, but maybe not .
    Two sets of the old pattern (mud)and about 25k on the new pattern. They do cut the tread if hussing on broken rock/shale but the compound means that you dont actually HAVE to bury the boot on rocky surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    When I had 4wds I had Coopers an liked them they get good ks an traction. But it's like everything everyone has there ideas. I hated bfgs mt I cut them to bits an got so many punches drove me nuts 1st set wouldn't have done 15ks next I sold after 3ks an went back to Coopers.

sent from my Samsung s3 using tapatalk 2
    Yep its horses for courses. If i did a shitload of mud/clay for the sake of it like I used to with the lux I would run two sets of wheels tires like I did with the lux.
    The BFG is not the ultimate mud tire but for me and the driving I mostly do(nowdays) it is the ultimate tire. Hard loose terrain Gravel/shale/riverbeds etc it is unbeatable IMHO and still is very capable on both wet tarseal corners at as fast as you like and thick deep sloppy mud with a hard base(farm tracks/pugged up paddocks etc) but you do need to insert the boot in the soft stuff to clear them.
    Went out with the 4wd club up hira on sun and anyone who nows the area will know it is legendary for its ability to fuck tires(if you can get half a race before your rear tire on a bike is absolutely fucked your doing well)

With the kids in the back of the stock standard landcruiser I drove everything except a steep down hill with a massive rut that only 3 custom wagons drove and would happily have driven it by myself if had no kids and the last part of one clime that had a nasty breakover angle that the LWB would have had to have jumped(which it could have)
    I towed and watched other standard and semi custom's be towed up breaks and threw creeks where I barley spun a wheel.
    Yep the BFGs do cut if you get the wellie in on sharp rock but there is no need to like with other tires they just grip.

I Like Beer + Strippers Georgetown's Avatar
    The Khumos arent the be all and end all, apparently they are awesome when brand new but when the tread gets down a bit they become decidedly average off road, they are also only 2-ply not 3-ply like some other MT tyres so not as bullet proof puncture wise. We couldnt use them for our work truck as they are only rated to 1000kg.

went with BFgoodrich MT and cant really fault them so far, they are on a landcruiser with a 1200L fuel cell on the back that is always towing trailers (the loader one is 3800kg) and I have taken it some hideously muddy places and it refuses to get stuck.
    A shortcut is the shortest distance and longest time between two points

Hankook Dyna Pro AT-M 8 ply is what im using on my 70 series V8 diesel there about 70% on road an 30 off ,there stable as and supper sticky on all road conditions although a little bumper then 3 ply ,the up side with the tyre is grippy and the case walls are stable when its loaded or driven hard in the windy or undulating ,being more road orientated tread and having the ability to select difflock to the front -rear or all wheels makes up for the tighter pattern in the mud and the cruiser torque it will idle through most stuations ,the wifes Navara has coopers there good when new but fukin dangerous in the wet by the time there half warn . Hankook Dyna Pro 3ply's will go on that shortly .
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt !!