Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Portable jump starters, any good

My mechanic reckons there is a solar charger you Hook up to your battery and leave on the dash in the sun obviously and it Keeps the charge up,he uses one for his truck at the beach house which doesn’t get used a lot,he said jay car has them I think.
    308 and chindit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    My mechanic reckons there is a solar charger you Hook up to your battery and leave on the dash in the sun obviously and it Keeps the charge up,he uses one for his truck at the beach house which doesn’t get used a lot,he said jay car has them I think.
    I have one on a car in Hastings, it’s kept the battery topped up enough to start every time. I would recommend one for any one who has a boat or car they don’t use regularly.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    If this is it
    https://www.jaycar.co.nz/12v-1-5w-so...arger/p/MB3504
    then $34 sounds pretty good

A lot are just a little electric fence battery in a fancy plastic box. The best one we had got used several times a day, I've started everything from scooters to small diesel trucks with it, and it went strong for at least 3 years before I changed jobs. It was tiny too, you could easily grab it and something else with one hand, then use your other hand to grab the keys, open the door, pop the bonnet release with the other hand, all with minimal effort. Pretty sure it was one of these: https://www.mrpositive.co.nz/heavy-d...a-jump-starter, but I dunno if we paid that much for it, probably got trade price through BNT or something. I think they come 1500 and 1700 amp
    308 likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    A lot are just a little electric fence battery in a fancy plastic box.
    And many are just a motorbike battery in a plastic box, though they still worked better than the powerbank style one I have that is batting 0 for 2 so far.
    And none work if they aren't charged!

Thanks for all the replies. Looking on the net went from a small powerall type thing to finding a school bag one on special at repco. Then my son who is in the trade said BNT have one in the trade mag. Its a 1700 mah looks like a normal battery with jump lead on each side. Have to wait until trade day and I think its $110 that could be +gst so hopefully it will do the job when required.
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    A lot are just a little electric fence battery in a fancy plastic box. The best one we had got used several times a day, I've started everything from scooters to small diesel trucks with it, and it went strong for at least 3 years before I changed jobs. It was tiny too, you could easily grab it and something else with one hand, then use your other hand to grab the keys, open the door, pop the bonnet release with the other hand, all with minimal effort. Pretty sure it was one of these: https://www.mrpositive.co.nz/heavy-d...a-jump-starter, but I dunno if we paid that much for it, probably got trade price through BNT or something. I think they come 1500 and 1700 amp
    That one looks the same as mine, got from SCA, it's been good

My son has one thats not much bigger than a cell phone , multiple starts on 6cly landcruiser no problem . i will take a photo of it next time hes down .
    308 and Micky Duck like this.

My wife has one next to our bed. A lead clamped to each of my big toes and and I'm like the energiser bunny.
    Last edited by Tahr; 09-08-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    madjon_ and Happy Jack like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    My wife has one next to our bed. A lead clamped to each of my big toes and and I'm like the energiser rabbit.
    KINKY !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    KINKY !!!!!!!
    But necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    My son has one thats not much bigger than a cell phone , multiple starts on 6cly landcruiser no problem . i will take a photo of it next time hes down .
    Yeah the first time I saw one of those that small start a car I was impressed - grunty for their size

I have the power all 600amp one. Can start a 3.2ltr ranger, I know that. Tested it isolated from the battery, (which was fine.) You just have to make sure it hasn't lost too much charge sitting in your wagon for months without checking it.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 09-08-2020 at 10:45 PM.
    Happy Jack likes this.

I have a 16000mha powerall if a diesel 4wd truck battery is dead flat I have struggled to start even if the unit is freshly charged, despite the fact that it is supposedly rated for diesels. I took the first one back because I thought it was a dud, the 2nd one was not really any better. The guy at repco said they have had a lot of issues with them. It seems fine for smaller petrol cars, and is super compact so handy for boats, but if I were buying again I would look at something else....

57JL
    I take a starter kit with me every where lives in ute transfer it to the boat when going fishing or if flying into the bush as I can charge my phone,gps ect off it as well and have saved a few people in the middle of no where with a flat battery modern technology good shit buy one you will not regret it