Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Reusing Auto Engines.

You'll be wanting more than 5hp if it breaks down in any kind of wind or weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    You'll be wanting more than 5hp if it breaks down in any kind of wind or weather

True. A fairly large profile.

I should move the tail lights on the trailer a tad. They're about 2.6m across.

I do have two complete legs and bell housings. Might be a tad heavy with two sets that big in the boot.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Picked up my maxima for my new jetboat for $750, still had reg and wof
    Gave me all the bits to run it, plus gearbox to cut up for starter mount
    And wheels for trailer
    Plus I could drive it to test it out

Would waste time dicking with manifolds just pick up some aliart ones

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Picked up my maxima for my new jetboat for $750, still had reg and wof
    Gave me all the bits to run it, plus gearbox to cut up for starter mount
    And wheels for trailer
    Plus I could drive it to test it out

Would waste time dicking with manifolds just pick up some aliart ones
    That's my thinking. Buy a car and you have everything to start with. There are a lot of these 90's engines that are capable of racking up well over 400,000km. The engines are running good with about 200,000km on the clock but the bodywork is starting to let them down. In all the driving I've done the only failures have been the 2 alternators, 1 starting solenoid, 1 starter, 1 fan belt, 2 engine sensors and heaps of batteries past their prime. There have been zero actual engine failures. Not one failure has caused me not to get home under my own steam.

Mating these engines up to the old Volvo legs seems a good way to go to me. Those old Volvo legs have a great reputation. I picked one up off a Volvo repair agent who switched to Mercury because the Volvo's didn't break down enough.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

northdude
    id go diesel for less wiring and sensors to play up reliability is the name of the game if out at sea
    Pointer and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    id go diesel for less wiring and sensors to play up reliability is the name of the game if out at sea
    Diesel would be good reliability wise but they have a low power to weight ratio. The petrols are not too much of an issue sensor wise, they may go into limp mode, but they will still go. If you keep the OBD-II port it should be easy enough to diagnose and fix onboard too. A plastic bag of spare sensors doesn't weigh much, or cost much, either. The legs can have issues coping with the torque of a diesel too.

I used to work with a guy who had a VQ30 in a jet boat, it went pretty well. It was running an link ECU though, megasquirt would be another option. Its a shame we dont get a lot of the Euro diesels here, I would love to build a boat, glass over strip plank with a classic style deck and something like a merc OM606 with a manual pump on it driving through a stern leg, also wouldnt mind the same motor to repower the range rover

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    A dunnydoor V6 would be a good powerplant. Can pick them up cheap.
    AFAIK Shotover Jet still use them in the tourist boats - albeit a pair of them in each boat, supercharged with Motec computers etc and they get them from Buick instead of Holden.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    Honda for great reliability 2 litre or bigger. usually on a Honda its the bits on the side of the motor that fail. sister had a civic that had 320k kms on the clock when we got it off her and for 18 months the odo hadn't worked for 6 of those she was doing 3 trips a day 160km round trips and we onsold to wifes brother at 360k then he sold and its still getting around town .
    trouble is with a lot of Hondas is they run anticlockwise not sure what the gearbox set up is like

Ls1

TD42T. Enough power, easy to marinize, no mucking about with computers, cheap to buy and source parts, reliabilty plus.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    True. A fairly large profile.

I should move the tail lights on the trailer a tad. They're about 2.6m across.

I do have two complete legs and bell housings. Might be a tad heavy with two sets that big in the boot.
    Twin Toyota Yaris engines

gadgetman likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    TD42T. Enough power, easy to marinize, no mucking about with computers, cheap to buy and source parts, reliabilty plus.
    I have one of those here, minus the second T.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I have one of those here, minus the second T.
    QD32ETi? Smaller and lighter than a TD42 but from the same family, 150hp/340Nm. You can't have mine though.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    QD32ETi? Smaller and lighter than a TD42 but from the same family, 150hp/340Nm. You can't have mine though.
    Would just about need a gearbox to get the right speed.