Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: School me on the SR5

Depends if you're going to use it as a daily or want it as a farm truck or hunting wagon.
    Farm truck or hunting wagon get a non SR5 and add wheel arch flares. Much better without carpet for that.
    SR5 are all bling to be honest. Lots more chrome and flash crap you will wreck if taking offroad.
    veitnamcam and R93 like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    sr5 has a reverse camera which are bloody handy
    They are a bloody nuisance when trying to back a trailer, can't get my head round which way to turn the wheel. Doesn't help when you can't see the trailer out the rear view mirror and only out the sides when it's turned to far

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    They are a bloody nuisance when trying to back a trailer, can't get my head round which way to turn the wheel. Doesn't help when you can't see the trailer out the rear view mirror and only out the sides when it's turned to far
    Get a bigger trailer and turn the camera off/Use your mirrors.
    outdoorlad and gadgetman like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    I never use anything but the side mirrors to back a trailer.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Happy like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Get a bigger trailer and turn the camera off/Use your mirrors.
    But a bigger trailer wouldn't fit down the gap between the woodshed and the house, I'd have to carry my firewood another 5m... Lol and a little single is nice and easy to move by hand if ya have to
    R93 likes this.

But a bigger trailer wouldn't fit down the gap between the woodshed and the house, I'd have to carry my firewood another 5m... Lol and a little single is nice and easy to move by hand if ya have to
    Dont buy a boat.
    Happy and 223nut like this.

1st world problem rite there lads
    veitnamcam likes this.

The earlier trucks with the camera mounted by the rego plate lights is a PITFA!!!
    The camera picks up the rego lights (when the lights are on) and you can't see shit. To reverse at night you have to turn off the lights to see anything.

The newer models have the camera halfway up the tailgate where they look fecking stupid but they work haha
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Also it’s about the last thing to worry about with one, it’s about the only thing I have yet to fix on one
    veitnamcam likes this.

SR5 premium buys you only bling and tat and adds 2 tenths of bugger all to what a Hilux is really all about.

I bought a 2014 MY12 SR spec Hilux on a run out deal for $34k in Perth. Bloody good buy.

Then I spent $25k turning it into the truck I’ve always wanted! There’s no getting around the fact they aren’t gonna go where a Land Rover will go in standard trim. So now is has diff locks front and rear, GVM suspension upgrade & 2.5” lift, bash plates, snorkel, custom tray and canopy, 4 AGM batteries, 2 fridge freezers, big ass compressor, bull bar, 11000lb winch, 50l water bladder, Coopers, etc etc etc. And I can sleep in it. And it will go where the Land Rover will go, almost.

Not a hint of bling though. Just hard case ruggedness. 67000km of Outback and 35000km of NZ, its earned its stripes alright. None of that will help with a decision about the SR5 though, sorry, just an ecuse to share my unnatural love of Hiluxes.

Here’s my African Hilux, lived in (on) this for 3 years.

Name:  86370DA3-D238-4A4F-B073-09DB43A2DB7C.jpeg
Views: 211
Size:  74.0 KB

And the current one...

Name:  62FA9CBC-A4C5-47DD-90A6-9509DB8D11C9.jpeg
Views: 248
Size:  2.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    SR5 premium buys you only bling and tat and adds 2 tenths of bugger all to what a Hilux is really all about.

I bought a 2014 MY12 SR spec Hilux on a run out deal for $34k in Perth. Bloody good buy.

Then I spent $25k turning it into the truck I’ve always wanted! There’s no getting around the fact they aren’t gonna go where a Land Rover will go in standard trim. So now is has diff locks front and rear, GVM suspension upgrade & 2.5” lift, bash plates, snorkel, custom tray and canopy, 4 AGM batteries, 2 fridge freezers, big ass compressor, bull bar, 11000lb winch, 50l water bladder, Coopers, etc etc etc. And I can sleep in it. And it will go where the Land Rover will go, almost.

Not a hint of bling though. Just hard case ruggedness. 67000km of Outback and 35000km of NZ, its earned its stripes alright. None of that will help with a decision about the SR5 though, sorry, just an ecuse to share my unnatural love of Hiluxes.

Here’s my African Hilux, lived in (on) this for 3 years.

Attachment 89782

And the current one...

Attachment 89783
    Thats a pretty cool set up truck but I have to ask how the fuck you get into that tent sober let alone after a few celebratorys !

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Thats a pretty cool set up truck but I have to ask how the fuck you get into that tent sober let alone after a few celebratorys !
    Ah yes, we were young and agile, in those days... what a little love nest that tent was, we’d head up the ladder on the front, tucked in behind the bull bar you can’t see it in the photo. Never once fell out, no matter how banjaxxed, and on several occasions pretty much jumped all the way in without touching sides, with a cape buffalo or hippo on our tail. Still got that roof tent, its sitting in the shed taking up space... selling that truck was a very sad day, it carried on for years in East Africa until it was sold again. Probably still going. 1993 Hilux Raider, SA made, 4Y 2.2 petrol engine, factory diff lock. Cape to the Sahara and back again and everywhere in between. Good times.

Typical Tanzanian road in the Selous area.... 4 days to do 380km. Take yer time!

Name:  FF5E1208-9ADD-41C7-AD7D-DA261FBF9758.jpeg
Views: 193
Size:  138.9 KB