Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Snow chains

Not much mud up here to play in, I have been looking!

SiB
    Remember that after putting them on, stop and recheck them after say 200m! You'd be surprised how much they can move. Plus watch your speed. Despite the confidence in your improved traction, keep it slow. Stopping is still challenging at times.......
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Remember that after putting them on, stop and recheck them after say 200m! You'd be surprised how much they can move. Plus watch your speed. Despite the confidence in your improved traction, keep it slow. Stopping is still challenging at times.......
    Yep, only problem is when in the snow it's the only chance I get of going sideways in the landcruiser being a non turbo all time 4wd

SiB
    Yes mines the same. But I'm discovering that road legal but low tread can be fun on wet grass verges

SiB
    Getting into and out of trouble is worth remembering; if you've got into trouble with chains on front and rear of your 4WD, who is going to be silly enough to follow you to get you out???

After a couple of scary slides this winter, I'm now far more cautious I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Never use them to get into trouble, only out of it!
    I learnt a practical lesson with chains last year. I managed to get my prado into a spot of bother on a steep and wet papa track. Chains were very helpful but they were a lot more useful after I put them on the wheels! Flailing around in the mud trying to fit chains was entertaining - got me home though and with a good lesson!

I think the trick is to put them on before you need them - to avoid getting into trouble entirely!
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Getting into and out of trouble is worth remembering; if you've got into trouble with chains on front and rear of your 4WD.
    Same goes for a winch, it tends to get up into more trouble than if you didn't have it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    When mud became an issue in Aussie, I said "why don't we get chains".

No said the Aussie experts. You will just sink they said.
    Just keep the momentum up, soon as you stop you will sink

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    I've had beggar all to do with chains, or driving in the snow for that matter, however, what little experience I have had with chains has all been positive. This winter my brother and I went to go hunting and up the cocky's track we encountered snow. I could see where other people in their 2wd's had gotten to before having to turn back (I think the cocky himself was one of them) however, with good tires all round I had but one other weapon in my arsenal... enter 4wd!

Well beggar me, I was very 'unpleasantly' surprised at just how little further on that got us, only about two more meters before we too were out of the race. We were facing two more kay's walk, in the snow, just to get to where we needed to go... Suddenly, I remembered that I had the 4 ice breaker chains in the back well of the Hilux.

Like I say, having had little to no experience before with chains the first thing that struck me was how easy they were to fit! Front, back, left and right and we were off! Man, we were cutting through snow up to a foot deep in places (see photos 2 & 3) without even looking like getting stuck! I kept it in 4wd, mind (who knows, three or even two wheel drive may have sufficed, but I wasn't taking any chances) and what a game changer that was, it was just like driving in 2wd on a flat dry paddock!

Sure, 'arguably' only 2 chains may be better on the front, for steering purposes etc, who knows? But the moral of my story is, if you've got 4 chains, then stick 4 chains on. For the little extra time it takes, it's well worth the effort, then you've got no hassles!

StrikerNZ and 223nut like this.
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!