Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Toyota DPF class action. 2015 - 2020 Hilux, Prado.

Toyota DPF class action. 2015 - 2020 Hilux, Prado.

Just saw this in the news. Doesn't apply to me but thought it might interest others. I'm sure a few on here own vehicles in this age bracket.

Article mentions free DPF replacement for NZ customers.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/motoring/13315...-utes-and-suvs
    Moa Hunter and TianBotha like this.

The Aussies won their class action suit against Toyota for the identical issue...so that's got to look good for the potential outcome.

Toyota sent me a recall notice a couple of years ago and replaced the DPF on my 2018 Hilux. I see in the article they talk about a button on the steering wheel for manual burn-offs. I didn't get one of those. I seldom use mine for short runs, it usually gets a good workout. Only once did I see a plume of white smoke out the back, and that was with the old DPF.

Quote Originally Posted by schwen View Post
    Toyota sent me a recall notice a couple of years ago and replaced the DPF on my 2018 Hilux. I see in the article they talk about a button on the steering wheel for manual burn-offs. I didn't get one of those. I seldom use mine for short runs, it usually gets a good workout. Only once did I see a plume of white smoke out the back, and that was with the old DPF.
    Button is on the dash on the later models not steering wheel
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

You'd think someone would be along to claim this as fake news, surely Toyota's are invincible haha.
    Carbine and Brad S like this.

Ford and Mazda also having huge issues with dpf technology. But they sell fuck all so no one cares haha
    RUMPY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    All makers are also having huge issues with dpf technology. But they sell fuck all so no one cares haha
    Fixed it for you... Turns out our diesel is still not that clean compared to overseas fuels.
    cambo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Fixed it for you... Turns out our diesel is still not that clean compared to overseas fuels.
    Yep. Used to be good. Now it full of water and impurities.
    Mercedes has recommended using 2 stroke oil in the fuel tanks on their diesels for areas with bad fuel.

Yeah, 50:1 gets expensive at 65L mixed at time though!

Na! Not that rich. I use standard 2 stroke oil @ 200:1 to increase the lubricity of the diesel in all my old machines. I have kept a bunch of 250ml fruit drink bottles and keep a full one in all the wagons. Come time to refuel at about half empty (40-50 Litres)that works out close to 200:1.
    7mmsaum and cambo like this.

To be fair, you don't even need 2-stroke oil - any cheap and cheerful crappy engine oil from Kmart or the Warehouse will increase the lubricity factor. Note well, anything with an oxygen sensor won't like you for this though. One of the side issues with burning a little bit more oil is more carbon etc, and the oxygen sensor won't like the crap buildup over time. I'm not commenting on EGR and DPF systems here either haha.

The good old manual Patrols, Safaris and Land Crabs will be fine.
    XR500 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Yep. Used to be good. Now it full of water and impurities.
    Mercedes has recommended using 2 stroke oil in the fuel tanks on their diesels for areas with bad fuel.
    How’s it full of water and impurities? I manage a fuel terminal. That’s news to me.
    stagstalker and XR500 like this.

Lower diesel standards than Europe. We're allowed up to 200mg/kg of water in our diesel. Most filters will catch it in the sediment trap and it's not a problem if drained every service.

We've also got seasonal and regional differences in diesel, with different quality parameters set in legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    How’s it full of water and impurities? I manage a fuel terminal. That’s news to me.
    I only fill up at standard commercial stations, no site fills or farm fills. Still got a tank full of bug and water... Part of the issue is the stations only seem to run filters with gauze screens, crap stoppers only not really what you can describe as a water separator or a diesel filter.