Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Trailer recommendations

I went for a Titan 8x 5 with a stock crate.
    Tilt deck isn't as good as tailgate ramp for loading.
    The price is the thing.
    The Titan is cheaper I costed all on a spreadsheet and when I went with the Titan all up it was from memory $3700.
    The Keas Prescott's etc are good trailers but the bare trailers were as much as I paid for the Titan all up.(crate,jockey wheel,spare etc)
    I have used Keas and Prescotts and they are good but for me carting a bit of firewood,a few sheep or calves it is all I need.
    Trailers last if drongos are kept away from them.
    I got Keas for work and went with unbraked to protect from user abuse.
    They still could bugger them.
    outlander likes this.

Another +1 for Trayla in Levin.. Have an 8x5 tipper, and it's been a solid performer. 6 years of hard use, and still looks like new.

My old man had a 6x4 retractable draw bar Pinto for years. So I got a 10x5 tandem which goes pretty well. It has a truck deck on it ( on of those wood/composite type ones) which seems to stand up to the punishment so far. Had it for about 5 years and so far heaviest load would be 2.5T and still going great.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Prescott from near Tauranga. My old 7x4 is a good thirty years old, has had four decks rot out but the chassis and galv is still top notch. Now sports one of those fancy resin-impregnated hardwood ply decks so she'll be good for ages. Have recently bought a much bigger tilt one of theirs for a SxS and it's the same quality. Cheap shit isn't worth the headache, certainly in trailers as several mates have found out.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Prescott from near Tauranga. My old 7x4 is a good thirty years old, has had four decks rot out but the chassis and galv is still top notch. Now sports one of those fancy resin-impregnated hardwood ply decks so she'll be good for ages. Have recently bought a much bigger tilt one of theirs for a SxS and it's the same quality. Cheap shit isn't worth the headache, certainly in trailers as several mates have found out.
    So I just realised the issue I will have with the tipper, not sure if anyone else does.
    I’m gonna want to have other crap in the trailer, if it’s tipped to load it’s gonna slide off, yes could tie it down but another reason I’ll look at a tail ramp, drop it and drive on.
    Good discussion, a few more considerations.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

I'm very happy with my Titan and a reasonable price.

I have two Prescott trailers made in Te Puke. They will custom build to your specs if one of their "stadard" models does'nt suit. I had long drawbars spec'd for mine. Had no issues at all ovet many years.
    Survy and #the creeper like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I have always built my own an have not bought a new one. However. some of the advice / experience will possibly help.

I like wooden decks over metal. They are quieter and more forgiving when something heavy like concrete chinks etc is loaded on them. My current trailer has 6x1 timber for its deck.. I also like that I can get tiedown straps through the gaps in the planks meaning I can strap stuff to the bottom of the chassis rather than to the sides. I carry all sorts and being able to strap it to the bottom and then have the sides simply hold it in place makes it much more secure.

Thirdly, the one thing that I wish I had done was to make the wheels the same size and hub as my towing vehicle. That way the spare on the SUV will fit the trailer, and the spare on the trailer will fit the SUV. This means I have two spares available if something goes wrong, and when I change tyres on the SUV, I keep the best two as spares for the trailer. Luckily for me I have another car that has tyres the same size as I used for my trailer so spare tyres for the trailer are not an issue.
    Survy likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Had a 7x5 Trayla from levin for 10 years and its been awesome, just put a new ply floor in and new led lights to keep it going for another 10..

Got two mates that have them as well and used them for contracting with no issues..

Built my first one whilst living in Oz in a company rental. Built it on the verandah which had a concrete floor. Once finished I had to major disassemble the handrails to get it off the verandah. I don't remember where I got the dimensions for that one but I got the axle positioning spot on for balance and drawbar load when trailer fully loaded. That trailer towed extremely well.

The spare situation of having a common spare for trailer and tow vehicle is a good idea. My current trailer had wheels matching my ute at that time I got the trailer. Sold ute so had to buy seperate spare. Only carry the spare for long trips. For short around towners I take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Maybe the best modular/bolt together trailer, but not overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Second this look really
    good with quality materials
    But put 2.5 T on it and tow it and they are not great.

Up North it's a Compass Trailer in Dargavile that you have to get.
    I have an 8x5 Domestic Grade one from them. Very happy with it, Ply deck, Has both tie down hooks and a rail around the top of the sides. Plus a cross brace on the draw bar, and braces on the wheel guards as well
    Plenty of options including different floor material
    They also do Farm and Commercial trailers as well.
    https://compasstrailers.co.nz/

Z
    Survy likes this.

Further to previous post if you can afford it the the Keas or Prescotts of which I have used around here are good.
    They are a better trailer than the Titan I got.
    But for what I need a trailer for now I couldn't justify the the price difference.
    The old story you cannot go too far wrong buying the most expensive you can afford be it a shotgun ,rifle, pack or trailer.
    Survy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Well, there's buying expensive quality and buying overpriced crap...
    So, in which category are you placing the Keas and Prescotts?
    erniec likes this.

LBD
    TME in Murchison... wrong island but good gear... ON TM, Motors Search "Murchison".. you will find many.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/s...ring=murchison