Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trials bike for Tahr Hunting?

Caretaker
    Josh, how often do you check the valves on the 450???
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Can anyone comment on the Honda 250's? they look like good buying around the 5k mark

What model Timmay? XR of Crf?

XR's are a tough reliable bike and require relatviely low maintenance for a dirt bike. CRF's are nowhere near as reliable in my opinion for general muckng about on and trail riding etc, but are fun. They require regular maintenance and rebuilds, check-ups etc to make sure they'll get you home at the end of the day. They are a bike designed more for racing, hence the higher requirements for maintenance.

7mm, with the older 450's I was checking every 10 or so hours, or usually when I did an oil change. I didn't really take much notice of how many hours etc it needed checked, it was more a doing work on the bike so lets do it type of thing. It was bad for needing the valves shimmed, as apparently this was a common thing with the older models. The newer model less often, maybe 15-20 hours, but its hasn't needed the valves done yet. It gets bugger all use now, because its living at home on the farm and not with me. Not a big job checking the valves, its fairly simple.

Caretaker
    Thanks for that info JoshC.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    What model Timmay? XR of Crf?

XR's are a tough reliable bike and require relatviely low maintenance for a dirt bike. CRF's are nowhere near as reliable in my opinion for general muckng about on and trail riding etc, but are fun. They require regular maintenance and rebuilds, check-ups etc to make sure they'll get you home at the end of the day. They are a bike designed more for racing, hence the higher requirements for maintenance.
    I was looking at the likes of these two mate:

Honda CRF250 CRF250X TRAIL / ENDURO 2009 | Trade Me

Honda CRF250 CRF250R 2007 | Trade Me

It would be for trail riding around Taupo and hunting access as I'm too lazy to walk.

The crf 230 is sorta like the old xr200................... Idiot proof............ put petrol in it and change the oil every now and then. Real fun to ride cos you can rape it everywhere you go and its quiet.
    7mmsaum likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Just to further my last post, I'm a heaver rider (easy 100kgs) would a 250x be grunty enough?

If you want to go fast get a 450. Scab a ride on a few bikes most guys are happy for someone to have a go on the "you break it you fix it" proviso. A 450 is too much for most people to use "all of it"

Modern 250 four stroke motocross bikes are light years ahead in performance from the old XR. but maintenance is regular and EXPENSIVE!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Just to further my last post, I'm a heaver rider (easy 100kgs) would a 250x be grunty enough?
    100 ks! maybe a mountain bike is in order .

250 will do it but you will have to ride it.. keep it on the power etc, 450 will not be so vital to be in the right gear to power out of something..

My brother has the CRF250 and got that going quicker than the XR400 but is selling the 250 to get a 450 (not honda this time as he sells other brands now so cant be seen to ride a Honda)

I have a old XR250 and old 300 quad 4x4... handy rigs but mostly the quad gets used but some spots quads are to wide.... tipped it twice last trip ... should have taken the XR
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Timmay, they are nice bikes. How experienced are you? You don't want a CRF450 for your first bike, it will just piss you off. They're a hard bike to ride on slow trails, got to ride the clutch alot, they're high geared (you can gear them down though), and a b*tch to start if you up-end them on the side of a steep hill etc. A CRF250 would be ok, but it will need pushed if your 100kgs and you want to ride quick. They are a light and quick bike for experienced rider on tough terrain, but alot of experienced riders will opt for something bigger due to using all their power and wanting more etc. If you're set on going down that path, get and X model not an R. Key point is they are expensive to maintain, and can be blood temperamental.

I honestly think you should be looking for something a little more user friendly like a XR250 or 400, or a Suzuki DRZ250 or 400. The DRZ's are a versatile trail bike, powerful and quick enough, pretty robust and well priced. XR's are bloody reliable, and have the brand name and because of this they are often over priced. The XR and DRZ types bikes are much more suited to trail riding and hunting in my opinion, they're more a jump on and ride bike than the CRF R's & X's. The trouble is they can be heavy, but you get used to that pretty quickly, and the extra weight can be helpful. The wee CRF230's are the "new" XR200 and are great wee bikes too. We have one on the farm as well and it gets a hammering. Honda are bringing out a new model XR250, but I'm not sure how they hold up against the old models.

As above... CRF is a something that needs regular servicing... the older 4 strokes are not as good for race but dont need the servicing and do OK

If you can find a good one the XR400 is a good ride.. bit more power than the XR250 without the weight of the XR600... If I wanted a hack to do trail rides as well it would be high on my list.
    The old XR200 I had was a good play bike just lacked power but I would point it in to some shit as it was lighter and you could throw it away ... pick it up kick it in the guts and off you go again The 250 has a tad more weight and size but still not too bad.

The XR 600 had the grunt and could realy climb but if it ended up upsidedown on a hill not so easy to pickup and start...especialy the start part! But a lot of fun to ride when you aren't to stuffed

farken good advise! Thanks guys. Josh looks like riding a few is in order! i have zero experience on a 2 wheeler a little bit on 4wheeler heaps and heaps on a mountain bike - heaps - i hope a bit of that would transfer?

farken good advise! Thanks guys. Josh looks like riding a few is in order! i have zero experience on a 2 wheeler a little bit on 4wheeler heaps and heaps on a mountain bike - heaps - i hope a bit of that would transfer?
    Mountain bike gives some good skills but a CRF 450 wouldn't be the place to start.... If you want to be competitive and dont mind the service the CRF 250 can be a lot of fun... I cant judge on other brands as I haven't ridden anything but Hondas.... well the odd late DR and they seamed to be pretty OK.

Just have old hacks now myself but they do OK for play around on rides as well... Not so great to ride them hard in the ruff stuff, Suspension is just not up to the new bikes.

This is a good start if you want to try and flick it on later if you want more grunt

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-484971589.htm

this would be OK but they hold there $$

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-464020375.htm

can get a CRF cheaper for the year but more service $$
    Last edited by leathel; 10-07-2012 at 01:14 PM.

The basic trouble with a mx 450 size machine is if you havnt evolved with the modern bikes they'll rip your arms out and stomp you in the dirt some where along the way , you need a little more then scooter basic ability - they dont like tonking along even boil if you F round in tight places to long , if your not ride fit and get arm pump your in the shit and its gonna be a long day lol. Enduro 450 are heavy pricks .Id recommend a Honda 230 for a go any where hunting bike there air cooled so no radiator to get punged by a rougue stick .Intermediate - expert thru to pro level would be at home on one of these in the hills going to secret spot X for a hunt ,and as a trail ride bike from beginner to intermediate ,sure they dont have all the clickers on the boingers ,but there farkin easy to get in and outer bogs creeks and tight places ,and have good resale ..