Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: What tow vehicle

What tow vehicle

Hey guys,

I'm moving to perth in a couple of weeks, and one of the early tasks will be to set myself up with a boat and tow wagon.

I'm really confused about what to tow with, as everything over there boat-wise that ticks most boxes seems to be in the 2.5T range on the trailer. I'm guessing this means I probably want a minimum of 3T towing capacity.

Utes are out, as the Mrs doesn't like them, and the car will primarily be a family SUV.

Budget is about $40k max, so that gets me a relatively new Fortuner, MUX, Everest or a slightly older Prado or much older cruiser or patrol. I quite like the look of the Jeep Grand Cherokee too.

I like the more luxury/comfortable models due to it being a family wagon. Doesn't need to be a hardcore offroader, but 4x4 is pretty essential.

I'm worried about the well known DPF issues with most common rail diesels in my price range (2015-2019). Is it that big of a worry? Do I just go petrol and not worry?

Are there other better options I should look at?

Keen on personal experiences and particularly educated opinions from mechanics etc.

Cheers,
    A
    MB likes this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

MB
    I have exactly the same question, but not moving to Perth (yet!).
    Beaker and Dorkus like this.

Land cruiser Perth is a great city, I’m working in WA at the moment and tempted to move back. Boom time in the housing market though and rentals are in high demand
    Dorkus likes this.

My thoughts are based on brutal experience - you want the biggest donkey you can find with the best presented vehicle with a known service history. Make sure you get it checked out by someone that has a lot of experience and knows the breed well, i.e. what fuarks out on them that's brutally expensive to fix.

Basically I wouldn't be shopping under 3L capacity engines for a boat that size, the reason being anything under that capacity is relying on big arsed hair dryers or a pair of smaller hair dryers and the issue with that is at low RPM you aren't operated off the turbo's - you are basically overfuelling your engine and it's bloody hard on kit. Example of this, maneuvering on tight boat ramps etc you are not running in either the peak torque or power bands yet you are trying to pull 5-odd ton up a likely wet and slippery ramp - at low RPM without the turbo(s) on boost you are running a tiny naturally aspirated diesel geared to work with higher power. This is partially the reason that the early small automatic diesels got such a bad rep for taking out things in the driveline when towing heavy trailers, I had a mate that proudly turned up one day with a brand spankers VW Amarok with his 3.5t trailer digger behind it. Lasted two weeks and his missus was dragging the horse float with it thinking she was flash as, and he had the D-Max manual back... The Amarok could not back the heavy trailer up the driveway and reverse it up the final hill turning to the left. Stalled every time and it just pissed him off. Too high gearing!
    Dorkus and 11mms like this.

given Jeeps reputation for reliability etc I would not one out of warrantee.
    Also remember petrol is cheaper than diesel in aussie.
    Z
    BRADS, Dorkus and blip like this.

Be a few touring setup landcruisers in that money bracket. I've just gone from a tuned 80 series to a ranger and while there are more gears to choose from I miss the torque the cruiser had
    Dorkus and XR500 like this.

Don’t try and reinvent the wheel.
    VX Prado.
    Go to any outback town or mine site, nearly all the vehicles will be a Toyota.

Some fastidious grey nomad will have a minter for sale, white ones have possibly been fleet cars so buyer beware.
    BRADS and Dorkus like this.

Gkp
    Later model 100 series landcruiser, one with a 5 speed auto and leather.
    Very slick machine. This one is a dream to driveName:  20231028_185132.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  1.68 MB
    Dorkus, leckiefl and XR500 like this.

Dorkus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    Later model 100 series landcruiser, one with a 5 speed auto and leather.
    Very slick machine. This one is a dream to driveAttachment 240050
    What do you mean by late model? From the ones I've seen online, it looks like I'm going to get a 2010 model with 250,000km on the clock for about $40k
    Localman likes this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Also be aware that diesel isn't cheap over there (same if not dearer), and petrol 4wds are quite abundant and useful.
    You may find a good petrol 4wd more cost effective than a diesel.
    Maybe not but worth a look.
    Just something to think about
    Dorkus likes this.

Everest. Ranger with a boot. Will be the newest of them all as well I’d hazard a guess. I prefer to the Mux. I tow a 2t Tinnie with ease. Don’t be swayed by the numpties going on about the 2l diesel engine. It goes well for me and 10 speed gear box works well.
    Dorkus likes this.

One of my drive is 120 series prado TZ
    3.4L petrol (Auto) rated 2.7 Ton.
    It tow 2 tons roller or 2.5 ton digger without any trouble.

Once I towed 3.2 ton forklift on 3.5T trailer across Auckland and I found the suspension (sport mode) was abit too soft for that load.

In my experience, i found 120 Prado tows better than hilux (3.5T) and Biturbo Ranger (3.5T).
    Dorkus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Also be aware that diesel isn't cheap over there (same if not dearer), and petrol 4wds are quite abundant and useful.
    You may find a good petrol 4wd more cost effective than a diesel.
    Maybe not but worth a look.
    Just something to think about
    No RUCs though

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi.bloke View Post
    Everest. Ranger with a boot. Will be the newest of them all as well I’d hazard a guess. I prefer to the Mux. I tow a 2t Tinnie with ease. Don’t be swayed by the numpties going on about the 2l diesel engine. It goes well for me and 10 speed gear box works well.
    Only other comment I’d make is many of the kms done in WA (and wider Oz) will be on red dust roads. It gets everywhere. Ideally find an older chap finishing their road Oz caravan tour and snap up his truck as those folks like comfort. Also Santa Fe is nice, we owned one. Count remember why we sold it to be honest. Good ride.