Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 12V car/camping freezer recommendations.

12V car/camping freezer recommendations.

As per title. I am in the market for a small (around 15-20L) 12V freezer. It will be for keeping bait meat from going rank for 3-4 day stints. I am guessing that when it is reasonably full, I will be able to just run it a bit each day to keep the content frozen and the rest of the time it will act like a chilly bin.

Main priorities is reliability and being able to easily wash the blood out of the compartment every so often.

Sorry if there has already been a thread on this. I couldn't find it.

20L is very small.

But OK, just make sure its a compressor fridge. Anything else (gas, absorption) is a compromise. Compressor can also let you keep stuff frozen if necessary.

If manufacturers do not list the current draw@ a particular temp (normally@25c) they are amateurs.

I would say buy once cry once, and go with a well known brand. Engel in particular are the gold standard, and charge accordingly. But they hold their value waay more than other, lesser known brands. Other goodies would be Dometic, Waeco. Then comes a swag of Chinese built ones marketed with Aussie names.

There is a shit ton of info on compressor fridge/freezers (and powering them) in any of a swag of Aussie offroad forums. If you search well, there will be a number of 'reviews done. Some are just marketing blurb, some give useful, actual facts.
    Last edited by XR500; 30-09-2023 at 11:53 AM.
    blip and 11mms like this.

run a separate (fused) lead of the battery . do not rely on the cigarette socket or it can be a whole world of hurt
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Just got a 25 lt brass monkey comp fridge/ freezer from jaycar for 340 goes well and 3yr warranty 240/ 12-24 volt and for 35 you can get a adapter for makita 18v batteries which just so happen to fit my bosch bats though they dont lock in but no problem . From start on bosch bats its seem to use a 1 amp hour per use of running at - 4 degrees . fits behind extra cab seats .
    Moa Hunter and 2post like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    run a separate (fused) lead of the battery . do not rely on the cigarette socket or it can be a whole world of hurt
    Valid, I am all over the power supply side of it. (Electrician in previous life). It will be running off a secondary battery and I am hoping that just running it while driving (45 minutes each way each day) should be enough. If not I can fall back to any necessary upgrade options without getting a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by m101a1 View Post
    Just got a 25 lt brass monkey comp fridge/ freezer from jaycar for 340 goes well and 3yr warranty 240/ 12-24 volt and for 35 you can get a adapter for makita 18v batteries which just so happen to fit my bosch bats though they dont lock in but no problem . From start on bosch bats its seem to use a 1 amp hour per use of running at - 4 degrees . fits behind extra cab seats .
    That is some good info thanks sir. Can you clarify; with the makita adapter how many minutes of runtime do you get from a battery and what is the Ah rating of the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    That is some good info thanks sir. Can you clarify; with the makita adapter how many minutes of runtime do you get from a battery and what is the Ah rating of the battery.
    With a 2ah battery I got approx 2hrs running but that was a dead start empty my 6ah battery was still going after 5hrs takes about 30mins to get down to 0 degrees beer is best at 3degrees . the 240 v set up is just a small computer type trans former I intend run of ranger lighter plug when moving and may drill batts at night as the ranger px2 plugs switch of after 30 mins beware px1 cig plugs are live all the time . the fridge has a compartment that takes 2 jaycar bats but cheaper to buy adapters and run your tool batteries .

I use a disposable nappy with sides cut off and folded out for any liquids.Fits under the cage no problem in a Waeco FF.

Jeeze, I had to think for a minute where you were heading with that...but sweet now. Useful for soaking up blood etc

Yea I was thinking poor bastard gets kept in a cage
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by m101a1 View Post
    With a 2ah battery I got approx 2hrs running but that was a dead start empty my 6ah battery was still going after 5hrs takes about 30mins to get down to 0 degrees beer is best at 3degrees . the 240 v set up is just a small computer type trans former I intend run of ranger lighter plug when moving and may drill batts at night as the ranger px2 plugs switch of after 30 mins beware px1 cig plugs are live all the time . the fridge has a compartment that takes 2 jaycar bats but cheaper to buy adapters and run your tool batteries .
    Awesome thanks, those numbers make it clear.
    I think my plan is fairly similar to your idea. Just chill it down when driving and give it a boost with the tool batt when parked if needed. If I am parking at home with bait over the weekend, running a lead out to the vehicle isn't a realistic option. I could bring the unit into the shed and plug into the mains but leaving it in the truck and swapping the tool battery out a couple of times is probably going to be less hassle.

would it work any good off one of those rechargeable alarm type batteries. I think they are about 7ah

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    would it work any good off one of those rechargeable alarm type batteries. I think they are about 7ah
    It should do but it may draw higher current to get the same power output from a lower voltage. Makita tool battery being 18V while the 7Ah gel pack is 12V. In which case you are getting about 40minutes of runtime per Ah rather than 60minutes.

The other idea would be to run it at 24V off two 7Ah gel packs in series. Which would give 80 minutes of runtime per rated Ah.

Note the above numbers are assumptions based on 60 minutes runtime per Ah from 18v battery.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    will do but you need to make up a lead to plug into the 12-24 volt port . Battery box has a propriety plug witch matches the jayco bats the makita adapter slides into the battery box holder 4 pin plug . there is also a solar panel that matches the brass monkey freezers .

You will be paying big dollars for Jayaram solar. Not to mention their controllers are usually pwmtype and not efficient.