Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: AA and AAA Batteries

Cool thanks guys ill have a look today.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    So how many Volts should a normal one be. For a garmin gps

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    standard dry cell battery is 1.5V, alkalines 1.6V, nicad is 1.2V. although the enelop batteries are great you will be risking early shutdown of the gps due to low voltage even though the batteries are fully charged if the gps is made to run off standard batteries.
    lithiums are great but need the correct charger and never ever!!! buy cheap ones they are a fire risk waiting to happen and will make your phosphorous tracer rounds look like a bic lighter

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    standard dry cell battery is 1.5V, alkalines 1.6V, nicad is 1.2V. although the enelop batteries are great you will be risking early shutdown of the gps due to low voltage even though the batteries are fully charged if the gps is made to run off standard batteries.
    lithiums are great but need the correct charger and never ever!!! buy cheap ones they are a fire risk waiting to happen and will make your phosphorous tracer rounds look like a bic lighter
    OK so what should I buy for my GPS and head light.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    OK so what should I buy for my GPS and head light.

depends what was it there in the first place, look for voltage ratings on both units.
    then your best bet is to contact these guys in wellington: Battery NZ

A Garmin GPS such as 62/64 has a setting in the menu for it if you are using alkaline or rechargeable batteries. Make sure you set this right, it will not shut down the gps prematurely, only if you set it wrong, this catches a lot of people out. The Black eneloop NiMH lasts a lot longer than any alkaline in my gps and still operates perfectly well below zero temps. For best value and function, just get the black eneloop ones. Other rechargeable types don't do to well in the cold. The last thing I wanted to do was lug around a pile of spare batteries for the gps, so I went thru testing many brands in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    A Garmin GPS such as 62/64 has a setting in the menu for it if you are using alkaline or rechargeable batteries. Make sure you set this right, it will not shut down the gps prematurely, only if you set it wrong, this catches a lot of people out. The Black eneloop NiMH lasts a lot longer than any alkaline in my gps and still operates perfectly well below zero temps. For best value and function, just get the black eneloop ones. Other rechargeable types don't do to well in the cold. The last thing I wanted to do was lug around a pile of spare batteries for the gps, so I went thru testing many brands in the field.
    Yes. The Garmin GPS's have been designed to run on rechargeable cells.
    tetawa likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Tried rechargeables in Garmin tracking gear but have gone to Energizer Ultimate Lithium, they are the best I've found and get a couple of weeks out of a pair. Hunt usually 4-5 days a week.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Anyone got ideas for really good charger? The eneloop one I just got doesn't have an indicator when fully charged it just turns off after 13hours... Or is that not an issue.. I thought your not supposed to overcharge...

Sent from my ZTE R84 using Tapatalk

I just use lithium disposables, pretty spendy but they last for ages in my 60csx, use them in my SPOT also, have had bad experiences with rechargeable AAs that seem to lose charge all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I just use lithium disposables, pretty spendy but they last for ages in my 60csx, use them in my SPOT also, have had bad experiences with rechargeable AAs that seem to lose charge all of a sudden.
    came across LCD rechargables, limited self discharge, pack says they will discharge to 80 percent over time but thats it. havent tested them over time but they work