Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Advice from welders please

Fulla
    Had a cheap auto helmet, I kept getting flashed, replaced batteries, they say the internal battery needed charging as will. I got over it. And got a speedglass, it has batteries but they either go or don't, last ages and nice clear picture. A bit costly but I feel it was worth it to protect me, and the reliability. Or simply put.... Nikko Stirling vs sightron.

Go manual mate, you'll get used to nodding the hood down and plus you don't have lift helmet to do any grinding. Just lift flap and grind.
    I know the autos can have a grind setting, but it's never as good as just looking through a clear lense.
    oraki and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    I use to use an auto one this is only my opinion with the experiance i had but after weldig my eyes were fuked for 3 or 4 days went back to a manual one and they are fine my guess is even milliseconds of welding flash damages your eyes i know heaps of pros that still usr manual helmets mt one wasnt a cheap one either
    Agree totally. Was using an auto helmet for a while but I think the reaction time of them is too slow, especially on the cheap ones. Also crap for a lot of site work where you might move head behind a pipe or something and one of the sensors gets blocked causing shade to turn off. Really not cool. Have gone back to plain and simple manual helmet with 10 or 11 shade. Adjust pivot nut tension so a flick of head will fold helmet over face and don't chip slag without clear lens covering eyes.
    rewa likes this.

northdude
    All the pros i know use a manual one still must be a reason
    rewa likes this.

There is nothing wrong with autos at all. I am the foreman of a fab shop in chch with ~12 guys and no-one uses a manual hood.

Guys that weld day in day out (particularly on site) that don't do any fab themselves still use manual hoods because full time use is quite hard on them - particularly stick, mig (heat smoke etc). Also the sun and things like flashing lights on EWP's can trigger the darkening which can be very frustrating.

Other than that I like autos more than manual, quicker,easier and much better for tacking however I've always had decent ones and currently have a 9100xx Speedglas. Those real cheapies may not meet NZ/Aus H&S standards or may be saying they do but actually don't.

Last note (which I could be wrong about but am 99% sure) is the reaction time is not as important as people make it out to be. The lens filters out all the UV etc regardless of whether it has darkened or not. If you helmet does not turn on it can be uncomfortable but shouldn't do you damage. It is actually much more dangerous for your eyes to flash yourself with a partially closed manual hood or by tacking with your eyes closed....
    veitnamcam likes this.