Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Ruger7mm
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By flock
  • 1 Post By Ruger7mm

Thread: Anyone successfully using Garmin Sight N Go?

Anyone successfully using Garmin Sight N Go?

Always have my old 62s in the pack and on as back up navigation while out hunting.

Recently discovered the Sight N Go feature on the latest 67i and thought about an upgrade. Thought it would be real handy for those cross gully shots - never easy to find the animal without a dog when you get to the other side.

Discovered this feature is also in the 62s so did an urban based test run to find it was nothing short of useless. Got a Fenix3 watch which has a similar feature I'll test later.

Anyone got any experience using the Sight N Go feature? Has it improved with newer versions of Garmin?

I have a 62s and use the sight n go feature all the time for across gully shots from 200-600 yards and find it accurate. Last animal was 320 yards and retrieved in the dark the sight n go put me within 5 yards of the animal in the bush.
    I always calibrate the GPS compass before using the sight n go feature, and input the rangefinder distance used for the shot.

Provided you have accurate range detail, it works really well.

Another way is to use your compass(a sighting one is best) and take a bearing on the shot animals last position, then save a waypoint of where you shot it from, and then "GoTo' your shooting waypoint and if you are on the back bearing you will be very close to walking over the last known position of the animal. If you have a range finder and know the distance you can go very close. Example, you shoot a deer 300m away and the bearing to the animal is 020 Mag, and you then waypoint your shooting position, GoTo the waypoint and travel out 300m and stay on a line that says 200 mag and you'll be very close. Another feature on the garmins is "Project", where you can put all of the above info in i.e. bearing and distance and it will create a waypoint for you to navigate to. I have used these methods often in the crown fern of the Ruahine's.
    Micky Duck and Pixie Z like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redstag.308 View Post
    I have a 62s and use the sight n go feature all the time for across gully shots from 200-600 yards and find it accurate. Last animal was 320 yards and retrieved in the dark the sight n go put me within 5 yards of the animal in the bush.
    I always calibrate the GPS compass before using the sight n go feature, and input the rangefinder distance used for the shot.
    Thanks for that. I didn’t calibrate the compass. Will do that and have another test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger7mm View Post
    Another way is to use your compass(a sighting one is best) and take a bearing on the shot animals last position, then save a waypoint of where you shot it from, and then "GoTo' your shooting waypoint and if you are on the back bearing you will be very close to walking over the last known position of the animal. If you have a range finder and know the distance you can go very close. Example, you shoot a deer 300m away and the bearing to the animal is 020 Mag, and you then waypoint your shooting position, GoTo the waypoint and travel out 300m and stay on a line that says 200 mag and you'll be very close. Another feature on the garmins is "Project", where you can put all of the above info in i.e. bearing and distance and it will create a waypoint for you to navigate to. I have used these methods often in the crown fern of the Ruahine's.
    Thank you. Sounds like more practice from me and learn how to use the gear i have properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hang bit of toilet paper in bush where shoot from..can see dead animal from...take compass shot onto animal...eg point arrow at animal and set dial..put the "red in the shed"....... when you get over to where you THINK animal should be...put the "white in the shed" and move sideways till arrow of compass is pointing back to your bit of loo paper..wont give you distance but will put you on line.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Like others here, I’ve had trouble when the GPS compass had lost calibration. You dont notice it until you try to use it.

Its very difficult to get an accurate bearing with a magnetic compass eg silva . Plus / minus 5 degrees is about it. Fine for navigation but can put you dozens of metres out at 300 m. Each degree error at 300m is 5.2m sideways. Perhaps a sighting compass would br better.

The back bearing to a piece of toilet paper or red ribbon is good (@micky duck) . Another method is to take a wide angle and a telephoto pic on your phone which can help.

Garmin sight n go does seem equivalent to “project waypoint”.

Note that if there is a big slope like > 20 deg the line of sight distance from your rangefinder will be greater than the horizontal distance on a paper map. Im not sure if the garmin software tries to allow for that or not. Make sure your rangefinder isnt on “true ballistic range” mode !

So its a good start but might not give good enough accuracy in difficult country.

Using a sighting compass is many times more accurate than a basic silva compass. I got a Suunto one last week for $55 and will get you into the search area, and using any other clues like trees, stumps etc allow for the narrowing down of the search area. Bagheera is correct you have to use the flat horizontal distance as the mapping software views the world in that way.

but your rangefinder WILL read same distance from toilet paper to dead deer as from dead deer back to toilet paper...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Marine Binos, usually 8x with in built compass can be used to pin pointing boats and fishing spots, by cross referencing.
    Vortex Fury AB Binos can do the same, bonus of the range finder, toilet paper trick as well included. Don't have a dog, that's the ultimate, next best thing is a hand held thermal.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Micky, you are correct if you use your range finder the distance will be the same back to the firing point, however if you use your GPS to measure the distance it will be the horizontal distance that is used. I should have been more clear!.
    Micky Duck likes this.