Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Battery chainsaws

Battery chainsaws

Any feedback on small battery chainsaws approx 12" bar, want something for light occasional use. Have looked at Nordic but little feedback on them off the retailers site. They offer 4 year warranty on skin which seems more than generous.

MSL
    No personal experience with Nordic, but a business I worked for long ago uses Nordic tools exclusively now. Crews of people doing orchard pruning etc. He has north of 100 skins, and rates them highly for the reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tetawa, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Have had a Sthil 140 for about 3 years and an extra battery, have had heaps of trouble free work.
    tetawa and XR500 like this.

Just bought the Stihl 140C at the Fieldays last week, so 2 days work with it doesn't really count. But its nice to have a saw that just sits there making no noise till you do a cut then shuts up again. But they are not as quiet as you would expect. Will still be wearing my helmet and muffs. Keeping them razor sharp and not doing any cuts near the ground seems to be key to maintaining their productivity.
    7mmsaum, tetawa, zimmer and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Just bought the Stihl 140C at the Fieldays last week, so 2 days work with it doesn't really count. But its nice to have a saw that just sits there making no noise till you do a cut then shuts up again. But they are not as quiet as you would expect. Will still be wearing my helmet and muffs. Keeping them razor sharp and not doing any cuts near the ground seems to be key to maintaining their productivity.
    Looked at the Stihl's but for very minimal use couldn't justify. Have gone Nordic, $370 including 2 x 4amp batteries and charger with 5 years warranty on skin plus from a large retailer which maybe still here in a couple of years.
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

I have an 18V Ryobi, the chain speed is higher than a mates 18V Dewalt. batteries last about the same. They both do well as trimming, track clearing, firewood at the campsite saws.
    The Nordic package looks a good deal. Better chain speed and 26V so a bit more oomph.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

I like the idea for having in the back of the 4WD for track clearing, beats having to carry around fuel. I am looking at buying one of the EGO branded ones from Mitre 10 as we already have a few other EGO products and batteries.
    WaikatoBushman likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

picked up one of the single handed tape dispensor looking ones off counter of shop the other day...the 4" long blade and tiny chain looked really hard case..but for doing wee branches poking over a track etc I can see it would be very useful...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

My Stihl MSA200 12" has been in daily use (fencing) for over 5 years now . . . Very annoying that I cant kill it cause the new model looks even better!
    Tahr, madjon_, tetawa and 6 others like this.

I have a Stihl battery chainsaw, they are brilliant . I sold the the petrol one as it wasnt being used.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I like the idea for having in the back of the 4WD for track clearing, beats having to carry around fuel. I am looking at buying one of the EGO branded ones from Mitre 10 as we already have a few other EGO products and batteries.
    I have the new Ego chainsaw. Comes with 30 and 40cm bars. The new one has a few upgrades over the old one and has a much faster chain speed. Such a handy piece of kit for small jobs!

Recommend getting a 5ah battery or up to go with it, as smaller 2.5ah overheats quite quickly.
    dannyb likes this.

I've got a Nordic. Seemed to go well initially, but I'm tempted to take it back for them to check because it seems to quit if there's any load at all on the chain. If I take it easy and keep the chain speed up with lots of little bites it will go through something up to 8" no worries, but larger diameter or too much resistance and it just stops and beeps at me.

I've got a 18v Makita with a 10" bar. Goes very well within reason for its size, goes through most stuff easily, surprisingly quite grunty. Only issue has has been trying to get a spare 1/4" chain off the shelf.

I've got a 12" DeWalt, brilliant. In the hunting block we use Ryobi, also good.

https://youtu.be/9WDaTwEwhTk

Should have viewed this first b4 buying mine.
    time out likes this.