Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Best 75-80L Pack

Best 75-80L Pack

I've been interested in purchasing a new hunting/expedition pack. Been interested in the Bushbuck Destroyer pack for its money to size ratio. Any other cheap ($400ish) packs that would hold around 75L+?

Comfort and function of the harness system, and weight and durability are key when choosing a pack. Some of the "hunting" brand packs aren't that great in my experience.

Personally I prefer a simple pack with less pockets. Maybe one front and one top pocket. Less stuff to fail the better.

There's lots of light weight more technical options out there, but they can start to get pretty pricey.

I'd look at something like these instead. Keep an eye on the buy sell section, and trademe too if you know what you're after. I've scored some awesome packs over the years at a fraction of new price!

https://www.macpac.co.nz/macpac-casc...ck/114879.html

https://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/tato...IaAvW8EALw_wcB

https://coastalsports.co.nz/shop/osp...utm_term=23939

https://outdoorshop.nz/products/tato...0aAnhdEALw_wcB

Worth a look;

https://www.wildernessmag.co.nz/2020...lti-day-packs/
    Reon Morrison likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Thanks mate, will have a look.

I'm not far from you if you want to come try out my stoney creek buller(?) Its comfy but has too many dam straps hanging off it for my liking. Send me a pm if you want to come try it out

Osprey. Nuff said.

I doubt I would ever go back to any of the "hunting" brands except maybe Tatonka
    WillB, Sonicjoe and uk_exile like this.

Tatonka Bison 75+10 works brilliant for me.

I had the Tatonka Bison for a few years, great harness but I found it was just a bit too heavy.

Since tried an Osprey Aether and haven’t looked back, great harness, lighter pack and the lifetime warranty is outstanding.
    Sonicjoe and Bert 71 like this.

Cactus if you want a simple pack. I have a Foray and huntaway and can't fault them. A little heavier than some of the modern stuff but there built tough.
    Chur Bay likes this.

H.M
    I am in same position atm and am tossing up between the cactus hector or foray and the tatonka bison 75L. Bison seems like has better carry system but i just like cactus as have a hunterway and they are built to last. Just hard to get to shop to try one on. But leaning toward the cactus at this point.

I pick up a cactus 75l blt pack 18months ago new at a sharp price of TM, it will see my hunting days out. Dry weight it is lighter then the tatonka 90l. Also pushing through some tight arse bush i think any cactus would handle better then some of these lighter made packs.
    Not saying the tatonka is no good this Cactus pack just come along at a sharp price and does the job for me. Well made and simple. Also use the cactus rifle scabbard.

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Cactus if you want a simple pack. I have a Foray and huntaway and can't fault them. A little heavier than some of the modern stuff but there built tough.
    I am tossing up between the Foray and the Hector, is it worth the extra $100 for another 10 litres do you think? Cheers

myself i would be going to the 75lt, if you can hang out the old one comes up on the second hand market.

Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    I am tossing up between the Foray and the Hector, is it worth the extra $100 for another 10 litres do you think? Cheers
    I went with the 75l (FORAY) because I just dont need anything bigger. I can do 4-5 days including dog supplies for my north island missions with plenty of room left for meat. The side straps on the foray or huntaway can also take a lot if needed. I've hang whole yearlings off the side straps of my huntaway quite comfortably or could easily fasten pillow cases full of meat if needed. All comes down to how much crap you carry, where and time of year you hunt and how compact your gear is. I've not yet had the privilege to hunt down south but in the north a smaller pack is easier to get through the bush.

Cactus seem to of had a price hike this year?

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Cactus seem to of had a price hike this year?
    Yes i did think this the foray is now $800 so i will be waiting for a sale.