Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The best knife sharpener by far!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Paul Davis, has site called bladenz.
    The prices are high, but last time I got stuff through customs I got hit pretty hard, so I just paid what he asked.
    Just unwrapping now, not disappointed.
    May I ask what model you decided on and why?

I would like to keep hunting and fishing knives to a high standard. Kitchen knives.... well we all know how that goes

I should be able to pick one up while over in Canada and the States in the next few months.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I went with the new one WE50, the reasons are multiple:
    Price is one, if I could afford the model 130 straight off, or the professional chefs model I would get that but this seems to be the best way to see if I would like the system, if I don’t like it I can flick it and not lose too much, if I like it then all the extra bits I got with it will work in other models too!

Portability is another factor, I don’t mean into the Bush, although could do that I suppose as it comes as a truly portable system in its own carry bag and all, it I mainly mean into the house, my other systems are big, dirty, noisey and clunky and best left in the knife making workshop, this one I can bring into the house or take to someone else’s house, or restaurant, wherever I need to sharpen easily.

Adjustment was the next reason, I can see that this could be adjusted just with the locking wheels without needing to get the upgraded micro adjustment models, I have a angle cube and have just verified this thought.

I should add the other bits I have (which work for other models too) are an angle cube so you can verify what angle you are working on, a 800/1000 grit diamond stone, a 1500/glass platen stone with 1.5 micron lapping film, a scissor attachment and a low angle attachment.
    I am toying with the idea of the 50/80 grit diamond stones too, although I believe they are very harsh and won’t get too much use except for knife repair or production. I am considering strops but am dubious as to how they could be better than normal stropping.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I went with the new one WE50, the reasons are multiple:
    Price is one, if I could afford the model 130 straight off, or the professional chefs model I would get that but this seems to be the best way to see if I would like the system, if I don’t like it I can flick it and not lose too much, if I like it then all the extra bits I got with it will work in other models too!

Portability is another factor, I don’t mean into the Bush, although could do that I suppose as it comes as a truly portable system in its own carry bag and all, it I mainly mean into the house, my other systems are big, dirty, noisey and clunky and best left in the knife making workshop, this one I can bring into the house or take to someone else’s house, or restaurant, wherever I need to sharpen easily.

Adjustment was the next reason, I can see that this could be adjusted just with the locking wheels without needing to get the upgraded micro adjustment models, I have a angle cube and have just verified this thought.

I should add the other bits I have (which work for other models too) are an angle cube so you can verify what angle you are working on, a 800/1000 grit diamond stone, a 1500/glass platen stone with 1.5 micron lapping film, a scissor attachment and a low angle attachment.
    I am toying with the idea of the 50/80 grit diamond stones too, although I believe they are very harsh and won’t get too much use except for knife repair or production. I am considering strops but am dubious as to how they could be better than normal stropping.
    Cheers. Thought out and informative. Sounds like the go.
    Hopefully you can get a couple knives done and let me/us know what you think.
    Everything I have seen about the system is positive.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    You will be very pleased with it I reckon.
    How much are they now?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    295Aussie$. Just got a manual. Very nice service from the lady at the company. Interesting comments about their mix and stone revamping.

Been using all morning now, getting my thoughts together and taking a few photos, will do a review shortly.
    R93 and Micky Duck like this.

I have had one of these for years and been meaning to post about it except its never here as mates keep borrowing it!
    It swivels the knife 180 by just pulling the the clamp out and turning.
    A 2 second job compared to unbolting and flipping over.
    I had to borrow it back as all my knives need dealing to!
    First try today on 3 knives. Very pleased with edge. Used 1 to skin and bone a sika spiker. Still very sharp at end. Need to get replacement screws for the blade clamp. The dude who I bought it off seemed bit rough on his screwing. Being able to flick the knife over is a real blessing and time saver. Will buy 1 for my son. Rate it.

R93
    I tried out the new Wicked Edge 120 I bought before I arrived here yesty and today.
    Sharpened one of my brothers shitty kitchen knives first and my wee pairing knife I use for head skinning today.
    Fair to say I personally have never been able to get a knife as sharp as I have now.
    Really impressed with it. Kitchen knife took a while but my other knife took less than 15mins.
    Both had a reasonably polished and surprisingly even edge when finished.
    Simple to use and easy to suss instructions. I will buy more strops and stones as I go but as it is, it achieves a practical sharp knives for hunting.
    Packed it away in some cheap pistol cases I bought the other day.
    It will come in handy for the next few months.
    @Shelly thanks for the tip on the cube.
    I tried the clino on my phone and no where near as accurate. Glad I bought the cube.

I have had one of these for years and been meaning to post about it except its never here as mates keep borrowing it!
    It swivels the knife 180 by just pulling the the clamp out and turning.
    A 2 second job compared to unbolting and flipping over.
    I had to borrow it back as all my knives need dealing to!
    Interesting, what make/model is it?

Are the lanskys any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    Are the lanskys any good?
    I’d describe them as adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    I’d describe them as adequate.
    But not great.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Interesting, what make/model is it?
    EZE-SHARP Australia

My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

EZE-SHARP Australia

http://www.proknifesharpeners.com/EZESharp

My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Cheers, the link doesn’t work tho