Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Best way to sharpen Mercator Stainless?

The failsafe best way to sharpen a Mercator is to bin it and buy a knife with an actual decent steel made in the last century or so
    Tahr, NRT and Moa Hunter like this.

Some of these comments are informative and some down right funny.I used to use Mercator for trout fishing but now use a folding Buck.
    pilbara likes this.

I've enjoyed this thread, but all this Mercator talk has gotten to me. Should have my first Mercator arriving in the post tomorrow.

Yeah, i'd better get another, my last daily that lasted for five years, went into the lake along with the fish guts.

Banned
    Mercators are a boys knife with a handle too small for a mans hand and an untrustworthy lock that is in the wrong place and can be depressed when gripping the handle firmly. The blade steel will sharpen to a shaving edge with a stone and strop but is soft and wont keep that edge like good steel. Ok for a spare under the seat of the car IMO
    NRT and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Mercators are a boys knife with a handle too small for a mans hand and an untrustworthy lock that is in the wrong place and can be depressed when gripping the handle firmly. The blade steel will sharpen to a shaving edge with a stone and strop but is soft and wont keep that edge like good steel. Ok for a spare under the seat of the car IMO
    They do their intended job well, which is to be a cheap compact usefull pocket knife. I'd love to get hold of an older model.

It would be cool if somone did somthing similar but with a better steel that's still cost effective like A2 or D2 or similar

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post

This ‘boy’ likes his Mercator, bought it about 30 years ago and it’s my ‘go to’ knife for rabbit/hare shooting expeditions.

The blade is showing signs of use and sharpening but I have another one (still unused) I also bought many many years ago as a replacement.

Ah, to think my first one cost $3:50 from memory (or less - memory not always as good as it used to be!)
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

NRT
    Last two I had broke ,one was the free replacement cut my losses and got a Spyderco far superior

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Ive had 2 Mercators, the locking springs broke in both so dont bother with them anymore.
    I did cut up a cattle beast with one once so they do work, well until the springs broke.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy Six View Post
    Ive had 2 Mercators, the locking springs broke in both so dont bother with them anymore.
    I did cut up a cattle beast with one once so they do work, well until the springs broke.

Hmm, never heard of that happening - and you had it happen twice!!
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Mate. I'm sure we agree on a few things.
    Never met a frenchman I liked, their women aren't much better. All arrogant.
    The wine's shit. What's to like?

Vive la rainbow warrior!
    My niece put a photo on her Fartbook page that looked like a propeller with some leis, or garlands on it. I asked her what it was. She said "Rudder thingy from the Rainbow Warrior, I asked her if it was okay to hate the French. (She's up on all the PC shit.) No reply. So I still don't know..... Is it okay to hate the ferkin' French?
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Hmm, never heard of that happening - and you had it happen twice!!
    That's what mine did overated German shite

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    That's what mine did overated German shite

I had a mercator knife very recently with the spring broken first time trip I used it. Perhaps a dud batch came into NZ.
    A mate sourced a bunch of them over the net. The second one I've used seems OK.

As you can see I spent a bit of time painting it up and sharpening to razor before I used it.
    Fortunately I had a spare one I use for eating, with me.
    Name:  merc broken spring.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  603.9 KB

Talking of sharp mercators; how about some pictures of Christmas trees using a stainless Mercator?
    I'm not sure if the stainless variant is up to the task, so I'd propose that if you post a picture here with such a blade you'll have the right to claim your sharpening method as the definitive answer to the OPs question ?

Name:  christmas tree.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  44.5 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Sorry if I’ve missed it in here but @Tui4Me or @flock or anyone else using a Lansky, what degree do you use for a Mercator? 17 or 20?