Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Big Badass Back Packs... Whats the Go.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Me too, if I was to buy again, I’d go for the 90L model. The 75L is sometime just not quite big enough. At the time I purchased the pack I thought hard about the size, obviously not hard enough.
    yep i agree mate, ya can always throw more stuff in where there is space, but very hard to add on when ya got no room. i will at some stage need to upgrade this exo pack to the bigger bag, the alternative is spending quite a bit to lighten the load... or compact the load.. which isnt me. lol

I just hijack this thread as a lot of people have contributed good stuff to it. I’m also looking for a bigger pack, 70-75L should be suffice for me. So my options are the Osprey aether 70L or I’m looking to a stone glacier 5900. However at $350 vs $1200 are you really getting much more benefit from $850 more on a pack. I really like the stone glacier but I’m struggling to justify how it could be that much better

this is where we're at

rusl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Anybody tried out the K2 Alpine Hunter? 2.2kg is pretty light for what looks to be a heavy duty pack.
    I've got a K2 custom, form when they had a shop in Nelson, Internal frame, had it 25 years, looks pretty much the same as the Alpine, with out the front pocket, Mine just a a small zip pocket for keys, Wallet,
    Thousands of hours of service with mine,

Just got the destroyer. Took on a 7day hunt. Extremely comfortable and packed everything that i would have packed in my 90+10 bison. I love the fact that the whole pack can come off the frame and can pack meat from day hunts straight onto the frame. I would buy this over the bison anyday and even better is they do specials regularly and can get for 389 down from 599. I think they want to get their name out there and once they do they will be the talk of the bush! Looking forward to their 3 man tent! Next thing on the list.

Had a couple of beers so forgive my enthusiasm. Used to sell them, several different brands. They might look good, feel great when fitted and brand signals they're up for the business. Trouble is the purchaser never really knows untill they've carried a load for some distance. My one and only go to snce the late eighties was a Macpac Cascade. It's since had the harness replaced, the flap lining replaced and several holes patched. I couldn't buy at wholesale because I sold firearms as well. So I was puchasing at retail, heaven forbid. I still look on trade me to see if any early ones are out and about. Mines carried insane loads (FNKM), been out for weeks at a time and regularly carried 30 plus K's. Well done to how ever started this thread and good luck bro.
    trapperjohn likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    K2, job done. No Frills big carry never let you down pack. Made in NZ, employing kiwi material suppliers and kiwi labor - the rest can't say that...... Mine is still going strong 30 odd years later, despite the mud, the blood and the beer!

Yep K2 all the way. Ive got three all heavily used and abused anything else would have been destroyed by now.
    As above kiwi made, for NZ bush bashers.
    Micky Duck and Rees like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Anybody tried out the K2 Alpine Hunter? 2.2kg is pretty light for what looks to be a heavy duty pack.
    love mine...took years to have the $$$$ to buy one,got one 2nd hand for ok price,had knee buckling loads in it and love it....shot a few animals sitting using frame as giant bipod too.... side pockets unusual shape but fit reasonable amount of stuff WHEN you think about how to put stuff in...great for water bottle as stay up right. I put fleece Tshirt over the daybag with straps through arm holes...makes it quiet to carry in bush... you can fit stuff in back pocket of the daybag when its on pack too. LOVE mine.

Banned
    I've got a re- harnessed Fairydown amongst others with external frame. Really like the Osprey packs for comfort, value and design, but covet the K2's as the best really strong durable do anything dependable packs
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Osprey Aether AG 85lt, best pack I ever owned.

Seriously does not feel like you are carrying large loads. And Osprey have one of the best guarantees out.

Do a search on here for Osprey Aether, there is a reason guys rave about it...
    Does anyone know where you can actually get an 85ltr one of these at the moment? They seem to be nationally out of stock!

Quote Originally Posted by LMcNab View Post
    Does anyone know where you can actually get an 85ltr one of these at the moment? They seem to be nationally out of stock!
    Says in stock but the price is way up from what I recall less than a year ago https://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/campi...r-plus-85.html

Never skimp when buying the basics, you will never regret it. Me: Macpac Wilderness equipment 90L backpack. Been around the world many times. Walked to 21,500 ft with it. Bought when I turned 18. Hauled 3 x sika out of the Kaimanawas last weekend in it. The carryer of the pack is now 61. Same with the sleeping bag. Bought my Everest mummy for a birthday treat at the tender age of 14 for the grand total of $62 if I remember rightly. A small fortune in 1974. Still get too hot in it! Got my first goretex jacket from Wilderness Equipment in Freemantle, back in 1983. Still have it, though its more a wind jacket now, than a rain coat.

Quality will long be remembered well after the pain of purchase has been forgotten...goes the saying???
    Danny, Bobba and Ned like this.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Says in stock but the price is way up from what I recall less than a year ago https://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/campi...r-plus-85.html
    I think thats a slightly different pack, the one I was looking for was this one
    https://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/ospre...ping-pack.html

Quote Originally Posted by LMcNab View Post
    I think thats a slightly different pack, the one I was looking for was this one
    https://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/ospre...ping-pack.html
    Oops, my mistake. You've got the correct link. Shame they're out of stock. Bloody good packs = out of stock!